Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I would sign Goff to an extension now. Similar to what Carr got, but maybe up the annual amount. Carr's contract is only guaranteed for two years. It's structured in a way that the Saints have cap relief now. You can do the same with Goff but maybe give him three guaranteed years and a 5 year contract. He puts up another good season and gets closer to free agency and the cost will go up. We know what Goff's floor is. He still won with the Rams, made the playoffs, and won a playoff game. We also know his ceiling is starting QB for a Super Bowl team. You give him a Carr like contract and you aren't really anchored to him and it still allows you to get a QB in a year or two. 

I don't see Goff doing that and I'm not sure that Holmes is ready to commit to that. 

4 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I remember just two years ago Goff's contract was so bad that the Rams had to give a 1st round pick to unload it. Now it's considered a good contract. Same thing will happen if he signs an extension. People will lose their minds but the cap will go up, other QBs will sign bigger deals, and the contract won't look that bad. It was done with Stafford's contract. The Rams won a Super Bowl with more cap space being taken up by Goff than Stafford. QB is not the position to get cheap. 

Wasn't there a lot of crazy talk about Stafford's last contract with the Lions when he first signed it? It was huge at the time but not for long...

4 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Drafting Hooker with a 2nd round pick is the worst idea yet. You're wasting a high draft pick on a QB that may not even be ready to play at the start of the season. You will still need to get a backup QB. 

We're going to sign Bridgewater as a backup. Maybe draft a QB to sit and watch or it might be next draft. Not every stud QB is a top 10 pick.

4 hours ago, NYLion said:

Maybe but I think at this point in time that some people are skeptical that Goff will be worth top of the market money based on his up and down last 4 seasons. If he puts together another strong year next season and leads them to a playoff win or more, the perception will likely change but until that happens I can understand the concern of extended him at a premium rate.

FTR, I went to bat for Goff a lot this season but also understand why there would be questions about committing to him as THE franchise guy long term.

I think with the right OC and with good weapons, Goff will be fine. Injuries happen though so signing a veteran with decent experience would be my choice over some late round college kid. In it to win it.

Think about the atmosphere that Dan Campbell has built.   Just 2 1/2 years ago Matt Patricia was an absolute locker room cancer.  Players couldn't get away from him fast enough and I don't know how to judge or compare this, but he may be the most hated Head Coach (from a player standpoint) in the modern NFL era.  It was that bad.   Now guys are coming back.  Glagow talked to his old friends.   JRM talked to Glover Quin and some other guys he trusts.  They want in.  They WANT to actually play here.       That's why Lamar Jackson would be an awful fit here.   Any guy that refuses to support his team or even travel with them for a playoff game, contract negotiation or not, is not going to be a fit for a group like this.    These players are buying in.   Even when they were losing last year, you didn't hear players bitching, did you?  I don't recall it.  They were buying in.  Taylor Decker said it after a tough loss, that it's different.   

We've never had expectations like this here, not in my life.  It's a bit scary.   

Just get a veteran game-manager QB to back up Goff, please.     That feels like the one thing that could tear them to pieces, a major Goff injury.   

As long as the guy is capable of winning you a game or 2 if Goff were to miss a month or so and most importantly isn't a distraction then Im fine with whoever they get. 

I saw that Cam Newton worked out the other day and supposedly looked pretty good, even if that really is the case he is a guy I wouldnt be interested in cause I could see him being a total distraction. Any time Goff were to have a bad game I could see him going to social media with crypted or not so crypted tweets insinuating that he should be the starter. No thank you!

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Was able to create more space without sacrificing room down the road or cutting any potential key or useful players like an Okwara or Vaitai. Impressive indeed. 

Sosna & Disner doing great work with the books yet again.