Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

24 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I really don't want them to get into a habit of signing players and then a year or two later asking them to take a pay cut. Okwara, Harris, and Vaitai really had no leverage because they stood to lose more by being cut but I don't want to make it a habit of putting your players over a barrel. 

I wouldn’t say you’re putting them over a barrel.  They are doing them a favor. You said it yourself, they had no leverage, Lions didn’t put a gun to their head. They just said, hey we will keep ya and give you guaranteed money if you take the cut. Otherwise you’re free to look for a deal elsewhere, where these players won’t get what the lions are paying them.  Holmes is giving these guys a real option.  

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Was able to create more space without sacrificing room down the road or cutting any potential key or useful players like an Okwara or Vaitai. Impressive indeed. 

Incredible really. It also shows that players want to be here by taking paycuts to prevent getting cut outright. Okwara and Vaitai in particular took big paycuts, created around $16m of cap space between them two alone. I'm almost expecting Chark to be back now or at least one more fairly significant add of some kind.

I get real Eagles vibes from this team. The Eagles started 2-5 last year. They finished 7-2 to go 9-8. They add some veterans in the offseason like AJ Brown, Bradberry, and our very own CGJ. They were the trendy pick and it hinged on whether Hurts could get them there or not. The Lions started 1-6 this year. They finished 8-2 to go 9-8. They had strong free agency adding veterans like Sutton, Montgomery and CGJ. The Lions are the trendy pick. Do they come out of the gate strong like the Eagles? 

58 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I really don't want them to get into a habit of signing players and then a year or two later asking them to take a pay cut. Okwara, Harris, and Vaitai really had no leverage because they stood to lose more by being cut but I don't want to make it a habit of putting your players over a barrel. 

All three of those are injury related. I think it’s more the reality of the game than it is holding them over a barrel.

If they wanted to refuse a pay cut and take the release to go elsewhere, they were welcomed to, but I think they all knew their market wasn’t going to be anything worth writing home about. The market is what is going to dictate everybody’s pay. I’d rather be real with Vaitai and make him take a cut than try to be nice to everyone, pay Vaitai off a back injury like a starting tackle, and then not be able to afford Chark.

41 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

With rookies figured in the lions have about $20M in cap space. 

I think you need to also account for cushions for in season moves, practice squad players being elevated, injuries etc. so I'd say it's around 8-10m to spend when calculating all the other budget spending. Still enough for one more significant add.

Edited by NYLion

They still have other options if they really want to add even more. Restructuring Goff would give them a good chunk of cap. Restructuring Ragnow would open up a lot of cap. I don't think they want to go the restructure route unless necessary but they could easily fit say Chark and Wagner or possibily go after Hopkins. 

43 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I think you need to also account for cushions for in season moves, practice squad players being elevated, injuries etc. so I'd say it's around 8-10m to spend when calculating all the other budget spending. Still enough for one more significant add.

$10M seems like an awful high number to keep as a cushion during the season for elevating players and adding street FA’s.  Are you getting this number from any specific source or figuring on your own?

Total speculation by Karsh and Anderson but they were freestyling what big move the Lions might have up their sleeve with the money they are clearing and one of the names they brought up was Jeffrey Simmons the DT for the Titans. 

Hes due a major extension and would cost draft capital but boy would he be a force on the line and could help make our defense a legit strength. 

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Total speculation by Karsh and Anderson but they were freestyling what big move the Lions might have up their sleeve with the money they are clearing and one of the names they brought up was Jeffrey Simmons the DT for the Titans. 

Hes due a major extension and would cost draft capital but boy would he be a force on the line and could help make our defense a legit strength. 

I would be down for that. Tennessee is in a curios spot. They sit at 11 and may be thinking QB. Could something be worked out where they move to 6 and include Simmons? 

11 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I would be down for that. Tennessee is in a curios spot. They sit at 11 and may be thinking QB. Could something be worked out where they move to 6 and include Simmons? 

Total shot in the dark but how about our 2 1sts for Simmons and 11? This way the Titans could potentially get a qb if they want or maybe even Carter who could be a cheaper replacement if they want to go that route. 

We get one of the best young defenders in football at a position of need and still would be in position to get a top CB or offensive player like Johnston or Robinson if we were to choose that route. 

Like I said just a shot in the dark, have no real idea what the market value is for a player like him that is due an extension. I could be over or underpaying.

36 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

There's our inside pass rush.

I like the idea...

30 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Total shot in the dark but how about our 2 1sts for Simmons and 11? This way the Titans could potentially get a qb if they want or maybe even Carter who could be a cheaper replacement if they want to go that route. 

We get one of the best young defenders in football at a position of need and still would be in position to get a top CB or offensive player like Johnston or Robinson if we were to choose that route. 

Like I said just a shot in the dark, have no real idea what the market value is for a player like him that is due an extension. I could be over or underpaying.

or they could stay put and potentially get Carter, who profiles as the next jeffrey simmons only a lot cheaper right now and with a lot more potentially productive future left.

i wouldnt trade two first round picks for jeffrey simmons.  maybe 18.

that said, if there is a qb left at #6, all offers are on the table.  

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

or they could stay put and potentially get Carter, who profiles as the next jeffrey simmons only a lot cheaper right now and with a lot more potentially productive future left.

You're not really trading two firsts for Simmons. You're also getting the 11th pick back from Tennessee. 

Carter is a complete unknown and may not even be available. For a team that wants to take the next step, give me the proven stud. 

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

You're not really trading two firsts for Simmons. You're also getting the 11th pick back from Tennessee. 

Carter is a complete unknown and may not even be available. For a team that wants to take the next step, give me the proven stud. 

trade him for #18.  they cant take clancy.

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

In the scenario I posted we'd get Simmons and pick 11 so it basically be like giving up 18 and sliding back 5 spots.

And yeah we could just draft Carter but he of course has question marks where as we would be getting the sure thing with Simmons.