Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Btw the NFL announced that the draft next year will be held on April 25th-27th. Im not sure if they already mentioned this before but it will be at Campus Martias and Hart Plaza. No word on when tix go on sale though. 

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

The draft should have been in Detroit last year. I have no interest to go see the Lions draft 32nd. 

I see this as simply an additional venue/ event to celebrate the winner of Super Bowl LVIII.

32 minutes ago, NYLion said:

The Buckner trade was #13 I believe so I'm just spitballing that if the Titans want something in addition to #18 that maybe a swap of 6 and 11 would complete the trade. Maybe the Lions could add an additional mid round pick if that's preferrable. 

Aren't we losing out then by having to move back 5 spots and getting only Simmons and #11 in return based on the Buckner trade and based on the NFL draft points chart? There is a 350 point differential between picks #6 and picks #11 on the Jimmy Johnson chart and the Buckner trade was an even 1 for 1 swap.

Shouldn't the Titans either have to give up an additional pick, maybe a 3rd through 5th, or accept our two 2nd round picks instead of #18?

What trade looks like the most equitable value for both the Titans and Lions. As well the most realistic one that both teams would accept? I think scenario #2 is probably the most equitable for both teams involved. 

Scenario #1:

Lions get: Jeffery Simmons + Titans pick at #11

Titans get: Detroit's pick at #6 and #18

Scenario #2:

Lions get: Jeffery Simmons + Titans pick at #11 + 3rd round pick (for having to move back 5 spots)

Scenario #3:

Titans get: Detroit's pick at #6 + 2 2nd round picks at #48 and #55

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Aren't we losing out then by having to move back 5 spots and getting only Simmons and #11 in return based on the Buckner trade and based on the NFL draft points chart? There is a 350 point differential between picks #6 and picks #11 on the Jimmy Johnson chart and the Buckner trade was an even 1 for 1 swap.

Shouldn't the Titans either have to give up an additional pick, maybe a 3rd through 5th, or accept our two 2nd round picks instead of #18?

What trade looks like the most equitable value for both the Titans and Lions. As well the most realistic one that both teams would accept? I think scenario #2 is probably the most equitable for both teams involved. 

Scenario #1:

Scenario #2:

Lions get: Jeffery Simmons + Titans pick at #11 + 3rd round pick (for having to move back 5 spots)

Scenario #3:

the only one of those that makes sense for detroit is the third one.

simmons for #18 makes the most sense.  

honestly, all this talk of them taking a qb high in the draft is a bit premature.  didnt they take willis last year?  he was always going to be a project, have they given up on him already?  seems like this is media driven.

If you're the Titans and you just hired a new GM and are already shopping around Derek Henry, aren't you just in a full rebuild mode at this point? If so, I'd think #18 for Simmons or #18 + a late round pick for Simmons is a deal I'd do. Tennessee has 6 picks and if you are rebuilding, which they should be, you should want all the draft capital possible.

this is Fox Sports mock draft/trade; 11 and 41 to Det for 6 and 152; that seems light for Det

6. TRADE: Tennessee Titans (from Detroit): Will Levis, QB, Kentucky

It's hard to imagine Ryan Tannehill returning after this season as the Titans rebrand. They're close enough to move up and get their next quarterback in Levis. Tennessee has moved on from a ton of veterans this offseason, so the Titans package their top two picks (11 and 41) to get the No. 6 pick and a fifth-round pick back. Detroit now has four picks in the top 55, and Tennessee has a quarterback it can transition to over the next year.

15 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

this is Fox Sports mock draft/trade; 11 and 41 to Det for 6 and 152; that seems light for Det

It's hard to imagine Ryan Tannehill returning after this season as the Titans rebrand. They're close enough to move up and get their next quarterback in Levis. Tennessee has moved on from a ton of veterans this offseason, so the Titans package their top two picks (11 and 41) to get the No. 6 pick and a fifth-round pick back. Detroit now has four picks in the top 55, and Tennessee has a quarterback it can transition to over the next year.

Yes please.  I'd do that instantly.  And with all those 1st round picks I might be tempted to grab Carter if he's available given we have enough insurance with other 1sts.

24 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

according to the more "modern" draft charts, that's a win for detroit.  a more "even" trade would have detroit giving back its 3rd and not its 5th.

If Brad Holmes and the Lions have the ability to make a splash move with the cap space they've cleared up recently which of the following moves would you like to see them make given the choices. I only included choices that are realistic or heavily rumored.

A. Trade for Lamar Jackson (this one might not be realistic at this point)

B. Trade for DeAndre Hopkins

C. Trade for Austin Eckler

D. Trade for Jerry Jeudy or Cortland Sutton

E. Trade for Derrick Henry

F. Trade for Jeffery Simmons

G. Sign Bobby Wagner and DJ Chark

5 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If Brad Holmes and the Lions have the ability to make a splash move with the cap space they've cleared up recently which of the following moves would you like to see them make given the choices. I only included choices that are realistic or heavily rumored.

Not really interested in Lamar or the Running backs(if I could get Henry for cheap on a 1 year deal I might be intersted) but Id be down with any of the other options. My order of preference would probably be. 

Simmons

Wagner/chark

Sutton

Hopkins

Edited by RandyMarsh

6 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

G.    You keep your draft picks and draft future players you don't need to be stars right now,  guys that replace other high-priced guys in a couple of years.  

With Jalen Carter, I don't know.   Not being shape for his pro day?    Rumors that he may have been habitually late for team meetings, didn't have a great game against OSU.   The drag racing stuff, to me, is dumb 19 year old stuff, but two people he knew were in a violent crash and he left the scene..........that's far worse than the drag racing itself.    The being out of shape (with millions of dollars on the line) and *allegedly* being late for team things.........does that fit with the current Lions culture?   I guess they'll have to meet him and get an idea of he's moldable.      This team doesn't seem to have and would likely not tolerate malcontents.  

Or are the late-for-team things a smoke screen by some teams to drop his value?    I know that happens.   

The not being in shape for pro day along with the not practicing or working out hard is far more damning to me than a 20 year old kid street racing.

Not that I condone the racing thing or lying to police but I think there is a relatively good chance he could outgrow that or seeing somebody die could be the wake up call he needed but not being in shape for the biggest job interview of your life, particularly knowing that the concerns of laziness were already there is what gives me the most apprehension about drafting him. 

Who knows maybe he's so physically gifted that he will always be able to get away with being lazier than others or being around NFL athletes and seeing how they work may light a fire in him to start working harder but it's a risk I dont know if Id want to take.

If Holmes and Campbell draft him though I will support it and assume/hope they saw something in him to suggest that he will fit in here fine and they will be able to straighten him out. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

I remember when work ethic questions dogged Nick Fairley. The belief was that working next to Suh would motivate him and make him work harder. It didn't. This is the draft that can set up the Lions to be the class of the NFC North for the next several years and NFC contenders. Probably not the time to take risks. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

The not being in shape for pro day along with the not practicing or working out hard is far more damning to me than a 20 year old kid street racing.

Not that I condone the racing thing or lying to police but I think there is a relatively good chance he could outgrow that or seeing somebody die could be the wake up call he needed but not being in shape for the biggest job interview of your life, particularly knowing that the concerns of laziness were already there is what gives me the most apprehension about drafting him. 

Who knows maybe he's so physically gifted that he will always be able to get away with being lazier than others or being around NFL athletes and seeing how they work may light a fire in him to start working harder but it's a risk I dont know if Id want to take.

If Holmes and Campbell draft him though I will support it and assume/hope they saw something in him to suggest that he will fit in here fine and they will be able to straighten him out. 

Well, if they were to draft him, he's going to be surrounded by a bunch of guys like Hutch, McNeil, Anzalone, Sutton.......I don't think he's going to get away with being lazy.    I am sure that in interviews they'll figure it out.  They seem to find their type of guys.   

42 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

G.    You keep your draft picks and draft future players you don't need to be stars right now,  guys that replace other high-priced guys in a couple of years.  

With Jalen Carter, I don't know.   Not being shape for his pro day?    Rumors that he may have been habitually late for team meetings, didn't have a great game against OSU.   The drag racing stuff, to me, is dumb 19 year old stuff, but two people he knew were in a violent crash and he left the scene..........that's far worse than the drag racing itself.    The being out of shape (with millions of dollars on the line) and *allegedly* being late for team things.........does that fit with the current Lions culture?   I guess they'll have to meet him and get an idea of he's moldable.      This team doesn't seem to have and would likely not tolerate malcontents.  

Or are the late-for-team things a smoke screen by some teams to drop his value?    I know that happens.   

I think there is potentially real value in trading for Jeffery Simmons. He's only 25 and is a very productive player both getting at the QB and in stopping the run. He provides the Lions D with the versatility they covet too being able to slide along the line at DT and Edge. Anyone you draft at #18 you only hope can be as good as Simmons, like a DT like Clijah Kancey or Bryan Bresee. If Simmons really is unhappy with his contract situation with the Titans and if they are in the process of doing a rebuild, he presents the perfect opportunity to trade the #18 pick to go and get. 

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Well, if they were to draft him, he's going to be surrounded by a bunch of guys like Hutch, McNeil, Anzalone, Sutton.......I don't think he's going to get away with being lazy.    I am sure that in interviews they'll figure it out.  They seem to find their type of guys.   

They said the same thing about Fairley. He wasn't going to get away with being lazy playing next to Suh. 

16 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Scenario #1:

Scenario #2:

Scenario #3:

I guess it depends on how one sees the value difference between Simmons and #18. If we're purely using the Buckner trade as a baseline then Simmons is probably worth more than #18 so maybe a more minor return than the draft point charts would indicate to drop from 6 to 11.

So without looking at the charts currently, I would assume that it'll normally take roughly a 2nd to move up from 11 to 6 so I'd say that your 2nd trade of Simmons+#11+#72  for #6+#18 seems about right and would be a no brainer for me.

Edited by NYLion

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

But it’s super exciting for the do they have something big planned with that extra $20M crowd. 

The fact that they aren't spending $5-$6-$7+ million on a backup QB does actually give me hope that they are planning to make a splash move here in the near future.