Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

3 hours ago, buddha said:

i dream of them drafting anthony richardson and jalen carter, just to watch the reactions here.  lol.

I honestly think most people would be fine with them drafting Carter.  I think most of us would assume that Holmes and Campbell feel they can get a good player out of him.  Now, 2 years or so later we might be losing our minds and falling over ourselves with "I told you so" talk, but I think most reactions will relative tame.

In fact, here's my reaction... I've pre-written my script:

It surprises me that they do this.  I'm worried that he isn't going to pan out in the NFL but I trust, at least right now, Holmes and Campbell.  They've obviously done their homework and their getting paid millions to do the job... I'm just some guy behind a keyboard, so I hope they are right...  But I reserve the right to say "I told you so" at a future date if needed.

• Like 1

The only reason they should draft a QB is if they truly don't think Goff is the answer and think the guy they drafted will be better. If thats the way they feel I'd rather them just try to get Lamar then, he's atleast proven and while expensive we have plenty of the room the next 2-3 years to support him so for the near future we should be fine. Come 2026 we can worry about and access things then.

Again I don't want to do this but if they truly want to move on from Goff after this year I prefer this route vs. drafting one of these guys in this draft who have a ton of question marks save for maybe Stroud who won't be there for us anyway. 

43 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

The only reason they should draft a QB is if they truly don't think Goff is the answer and think the guy they drafted will be better. If thats the way they feel I'd rather them just try to get Lamar then, he's atleast proven and while expensive we have plenty of the room the next 2-3 years to support him so for the near future we should be fine. Come 2026 we can worry about and access things then.

Again I don't want to do this but if they truly want to move on from Goff after this year I prefer this route vs. drafting one of these guys in this draft who have a ton of question marks save for maybe Stroud who won't be there for us anyway. 

i dont know why the jets dont go get lamar jackson.  why futz around with aaron rodgers' old ass when you can go get jackson for two #1s?

i think the holdup is jackson's contract demand.  no one else in the league is going to give him a fully guaranteed deal.  just because the browns were stupid doesnt mean everyone else should be too.

I think the belief is that the Ravens will match any deal and want other teams to do their dirty work. Jackson also may not want to be in Baltimore so he may not want to negotiate a contract with another team. In that case, I suppose he could just sign the franchise tender. Jackson seems to be high maintenance and a bit of a diva. No worse than Aaron Rodgers though. Not sure why the Jets locked on to Rodgers. 

Letting Chark walk for so cheap is a little surprising. Maybe they know something the rest of us don’t about his health. Or maybe there is a guy they really like in the draft. But I don’t feel great going into this season with a rookie starting on the outside.

would Holmes really trade for Hopkins? Or it sounds like Denver wants to unload its young receivers  

4 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Letting Chark walk for so cheap is a little surprising. Maybe they know something the rest of us don’t about his health. Or maybe there is a guy they really like in the draft. But I don’t feel great going into this season with a rookie starting on the outside.

would Holmes really trade for Hopkins? Or it sounds like Denver wants to unload its young receivers  

I agree, I'm not sure why you would trade assets and make a major salary commitment when you could have Chark for 5 mill, as well as his rapport with Goff and established knowledge of the offense.

2 minutes ago, Longgone said:

I agree, I'm not sure why you would trade assets and make a major salary commitment when you could have Chark for 5 mill, as well as his rapport with Goff and established knowledge of the offense.

Exactly. But if we know anything about Holmes it is that he doesn’t make decisions that he doesn’t calculate. 

4 hours ago, RedRamage said:

I honestly think most people would be fine with them drafting Carter.  I think most of us would assume that Holmes and Campbell feel they can get a good player out of him.  Now, 2 years or so later we might be losing our minds and falling over ourselves with "I told you so" talk, but I think most reactions will relative tame.

In fact, here's my reaction... I've pre-written my script:

It surprises me that they do this.  I'm worried that he isn't going to pan out in the NFL but I trust, at least right now, Holmes and Campbell.  They've obviously done their homework and their getting paid millions to do the job... I'm just some guy behind a keyboard, so I hope they are right...  But I reserve the right to say "I told you so" at a future date if needed.

I don't want any part of Carter. Some people never mature and past legal issues are a HUGE bad sign. Coming to the combine out of shape is another sign of of immaturity. Hard pass, let someone else take that chance. Plenty of other great players at #6.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

jamo is not an x.  reynolds is the only x on the team.

they'll move people around.

x and te are the two offensive positions they could use an upgrade on early.

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

He's a prototypical z

He played quite a bit of X aka Split End while at Alabama.   

Granted, guys move around more than even in the modern NFL offense but people get carried away with traditional body type and speed profile when defining her positions but the letters are still about where they line up on the field.

im not worried about losing a guy who has barely played in 2 years.  he canr stay healthy.

he got a tiny contract for a reason.  it shows you what the league and the lions think about him.

same with evan brown.  these guys just arent worth as much as we think they are.

8 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

He played quite a bit of X aka Split End while at Alabama.   

Granted, guys move around more than even in the modern NFL offense but people get carried away with traditional body type and speed profile when defining her positions but the letters are still about where they line up on the field.

Point is you need both, Reynolds is a nice depth player, but you want better starting.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

Hopkins would really be a perfect fit on this roster right now. With the cap space generated it seems like something is coming. 

He has character issues of his own, a $20 million salary, is of an age where skill players generally decline and would cost draft assets. I'd rather sign Chark.

2 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Yes, but where will they get their X? I still think they have a hole in their WR room. 

That's why I think Quetin Johnston is on their draft board. I don't know that they'll value him at #6 but in a trade back scenario or moving up from #18, I could see the team valuing him.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad