Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

My guess as to Chark's logic is that he'll get to be the #1 WR now in Carolina and not be the third guy on the roster. He'll get more target share and thus more opportunity to showcase himself. He knows Detroit already has their top two WRs for the foreseeable future and Carolina doesn't. So he can showcase himself more there and possibly get a long term deal from them to be their top guy.

8 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

My guess as to Chark's logic is that he'll get to be the #1 WR now in Carolina and not be the third guy on the roster. He'll get more target share and thus more opportunity to showcase himself. He knows Detroit already has their top two WRs for the foreseeable future and Carolina doesn't. So he can showcase himself more there and possibly get a long term deal from them to be their top guy.

Yes, this is probably right. And in light of this maybe Holmes played his hand too aggressively, thinking he could wait Chark out, let the market reveal its price, then meet it. 

In any case, X will be a need going into draft day.

9 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Theilen?

13 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Yes, this is probably right. And in light of this maybe Holmes played his hand too aggressively, thinking he could wait Chark out, let the market reveal its price, then meet it. 

In any case, X will be a need going into draft day.

I think if Detroit wanted Chark, they'd have him, we just don't know why they opted not to, or what alternatives they have in mind. I don't believe they'll want to run Reynolds or Cephus out as the primary x. I don't think a rookie is ideal either, because wr, like db, takes a while to learn the nuances of the position.

Edited by Longgone

18 minutes ago, Longgone said:

I think if Detroit wanted Chark, they'd have him, we just don't know why they opted not to, or what alternatives they have in mind. I don't believe they'll want to run Reynolds or Cephus out as the primary x. I don't think a rookie is ideal either, because wr, like db, takes a while to learn the nuances of the position.

No snark at all, I completely forgot about  Quinten Cephus.   Not only did I think we had cut him but I had lost all concept that he ever existed.  

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

No snark at all, I completely forgot about  Quinten Cephus.   Not only did I think we had cut him but I had lost all concept that he ever existed.  

given cephus' past, you would think this regime would have cut him by now?  i mean, all i hear is they are so concerned about character...

22 minutes ago, buddha said:

given cephus' past, you would think this regime would have cut him by now?  i mean, all i hear is they are so concerned about character...

He was acquitted in a jury trial. Unanimously. After just 45 minutes of deliberation. Maybe he's really guilty, but that jury didn't think so. 

https://www.sheboyganpress.com/story/opinion/2019/08/09/quintez-cephus-acquittal-shows-dangers-presuming-guilt-former-wisconsin-badgers-football-player/1966113001/

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing he is guilty of is being slow and fragile. But maybe this year he puts it all together. 

45 minutes ago, buddha said:

They are concerned about football character. As far as I know, Cephus hasn't showed up to camp too fat to run routes. This teams signed CGJ despite punching teammates in the face and drafted James Houston despite being suspended for credit card fraud charges. This team cut Jamie Collins for dogging it during the game in Green Bay. They want players who put in the work and are leaders on the field not fat and lazy players. 

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

Except at x.

Or, at least not as much as the other two WR positions.

An x-receiver can just fly. Their primary function is to stretch the defense. That's not ONLY it, but it is the primary. Add in blocking... if you have a good rookie x who is also a good blocker... they may not get every nuance down their rookie year, but blocking and stretching the defense covers 2/3's of what they would be asked to do... maybe more...

You can go with rookie + Reynolds + Cephus...

Easily IMO, if you select the right guy in the draft...

Just now, 1984Echoes said:

Except at x.

An x-receiver can just fly. Their primary function is to stretch the defense. That's not ONLY it, but it is the primary. Add in blocking... if you have a good rookie x who is also a good blocker... they may not get every nuance down their rookie year, but blocking and stretching the defense covers 2/3's of what they would be asked to do... maybe more...

PS: Add in size advantage. Which covers two things: getting off the line; and red zone/ 1st downs (using size advantage for 50/50's or similar...).

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Except at x.

Wrong

58 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

They are concerned about football character. As far as I know, Cephus hasn't showed up to camp too fat to run routes. This teams signed CGJ despite punching teammates in the face and drafted James Houston despite being suspended for credit card fraud charges. This team cut Jamie Collins for dogging it during the game in Green Bay. They want players who put in the work and are leaders on the field not fat and lazy players. 

so a guy who played amazing for two seasons and dominated the best league in college football is off the board because he was overweight at his pro day after going through a pretty trying period in his life.  

i really think that's not as big of a deal as youre making it out to be.  but we'll see.

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

He was acquitted in a jury trial. Unanimously. After just 45 minutes of deliberation. Maybe he's really guilty, but that jury didn't think so. 

https://www.sheboyganpress.com/story/opinion/2019/08/09/quintez-cephus-acquittal-shows-dangers-presuming-guilt-former-wisconsin-badgers-football-player/1966113001/

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing he is guilty of is being slow and fragile. But maybe this year he puts it all together. 

in other words, what he did off the field didnt matter to the lions then and didnt matter now.

these are young men, theyre gonna do dumb shit.  can they play football well?  that's the concern.

2 hours ago, buddha said:

in other words, what he did off the field didnt matter to the lions then and didnt matter now.

these are young men, theyre gonna do dumb shit.  can they play football well?  that's the concern.

I don’t know the details of the case beyond the fact that the jury believed Cephus over his (two?) accusers. And it wasn’t even close. So I don’t know if it was a gross miscarriage of justice that he was acquitted, an indication that he was falsely accused, or something in between. 

I don’t think Carter’s legal troubles are disqualifying, necessarily. And I don’t even think his workout performance is necessarily disqualifying. But he is clearly immature. That’s an alarming prospect if you are considering paying a guy $30 million. 

4 hours ago, buddha said:

It's not the one issue for Carter, he has a history of not training or practicing hard, of stamina issues, of not being reliable and responsible, of being immature. Does not sound like a Holmes/Campbell kind of guy.

Edited by Longgone

38 minutes ago, Longgone said:

It's not the one issue for Carter, he has a history of not training or practicing hard, of stamina issues, of not being reliable and responsible, of being immature. Does not sound like a Holmes/Campbell kind of guy.

how do we know he has a history of not practicing or playing hard?  internet rumors?

tryavon walker and jordan davis were high first rounders last year and carter was better than both of them at georgia.

if there is fire behind the smoke, they probably wont take him.  but he is the best player in the draft by most accounts.  having the best player in the draft fall to you for a second year in a row would be manna from heaven for the lions.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

how do we know he has a history of not practicing or playing hard?  internet rumors?

tryavon walker and jordan davis were high first rounders last year and carter was better than both of them at georgia.

if there is fire behind the smoke, they probably wont take him.  but he is the best player in the draft by most accounts.  having the best player in the draft fall to you for a second year in a row would be manna from heaven for the lions.

He plays hard, just runs out of gas, and he's probably the most physically talented player in the draft. It's well known Smart has had to stay on him, and he's not always practiced hard or prepared well. This isn't all that unusual for those who can get by on their ability alone. However, this does not sound like a guy that has the "it factor" that Holmes and Campbell always talk about looking for when they talk about additions to the team. I think, early in the draft especially, they will want someone who has those character attributes that they claim to value so much.

13 hours ago, buddha said:

so a guy who played amazing for two seasons and dominated the best league in college football is off the board because he was overweight at his pro day after going through a pretty trying period in his life.  

i really think that's not as big of a deal as youre making it out to be.  but we'll see.

Yes...... I'm sorry. If he's the best prospect in the draft, he should be able to complete the drills from his pro-day in his sleep. I am very worried about drafting this dude if it happens.