Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

I think the Titans are willing to move on from Willis already if the opportunity presents itself. If Richardson and/or Levis are there at 6, I would definitely approve of a 6 for 11 and Simmons trade. I don’t think it would take more. Everybody knows the Titans can’t afford him. Then go and get Bijan Robinson or Quentin Johnston at 11.

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

I'm not sure how 3 way trades work in the NFL, or if they're possible, but I could see something like Arizona getting 11 and 18, and potentially some future high round comp from Tennessee, Tennessee getting 3, and the Lions getting Simmons. Just add some mid round filler to make it work. 

It could just be two separate trades. Before finalizing with us Tennessee could potentially call Arizona and see if they'd be down for 11 and 18 if they were able to acquire that pick. If AZ says says yes or says that they it would only take a little bit more then they could make the trade with us then work out the final details of the trade up with AZ. 

It makes no sense for the Titans to not extend Simmons and build their defense around him. They got him at pick 19 and he’s turned into one of the best DTs in the game. This is exactly what you dream of happening when you turn in the draft card.   If they don’t extend him,  they may as well start trading all their future #1’s.   Those are worth a mint to other teams.

10 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

It makes no sense for the Titans to not extend Simmons and build their defense around him. They got him at pick 19 and he’s turned into one of the best DTs in the game. This is exactly what you dream of happening when you turn in the draft card.   If they don’t extend him,  they may as well start trading all their future #1’s.   Those are worth a mint to other teams.

They've gone this late without extending him. They did the same with AJ Brown. Maybe it's just not a well run franchise?

14 minutes ago, buddha said:

only issue would be whether you want to invest that much of your cap in simmons.  i cant imagine a deal would get done until tennessee sees who is available at 6.

you figure the lions freed up all that cap space for something...

Does Tennessee have any Goff contracts the Lions can take on to lower the price?

4 minutes ago, holygoat said:

I'd rather draft a WR and let someone else take Sutton's $18 million cap hit.

His salary isn't guaranteed in 24 or 25 and the Lions cleared out a lot of cap space this year. Unless they are going after Simmons, there aren't a lot of other players left to use this cap space on. 

4 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think the Titans are willing to move on from Willis already if the opportunity presents itself. If Richardson and/or Levis are there at 6, I would definitely approve of a 6 for 11 and Simmons trade. I don’t think it would take more. Everybody knows the Titans can’t afford him. Then go and get Bijan Robinson or Quentin Johnston at 11.

I would absolutely be on board with this trade.

But I would hope that Gonzalez falls to 11 and select him there. And then draft Bijan at 18.

2nd & 3rd rounders can be used for: WR, QB, LB, OL. Pick 3 of 4 and drop one of them to the 5th round...

52 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

His salary isn't guaranteed in 24 or 25 and the Lions cleared out a lot of cap space this year. Unless they are going after Simmons, there aren't a lot of other players left to use this cap space on. 

His 2023 cap hit is over $18 million. If the Lions are gonna use that much on a single player, I'd prefer it be DL rather than WR when there are plenty of WR options in the draft.

1 minute ago, holygoat said:

His 2023 cap hit is over $18 million. If the Lions are gonna use that much on a single player, I'd prefer it be DL rather than WR when there are plenty of WR options in the draft.

Outside of Simmons, how many DL players are available that you can use that cap space on in 2023? 

57 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If the Lions were trading for a WR would you rather Courtland Sutton or DeAndre Hopkins?

depends on the price.

if hopkins is a one year rental, the price should be low, like a 5th round pick.  sutton's price would be higher but he's younger.  still, he's awfully pricey.  maybe #55.  more likely #81.

i'd rather deal #18 for simmons.

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Sean Payton just said that they aren't trading Jeudy or Sutton. Not sure if that means anything or not since teams have been known to go back on what they say but if you take it at face value it appears that Sutton is off the table. 

I think it means they were trying to hold a fire sale then realized buyers expected the price to be low. 

But Sutton makes too much money for a guy ESPN analytics has as the #62 receiver in the NFL (tied with TJ Hockenson, incidentally). https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/nfl-receiver-rankings/