Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

35 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

He fits the bill. His ceiling is not as high as Chark's but he will be more reliable and cheaper. 

They need depth at DT, CB, RG, RB, WR, TE, LB. But they can only address five of these positions in the early rounds. It will be interesting to see what positions get left out. 

I don't think it's RG-Only anymore as they have both Glasgow and Vatai.

I think they'll still draft at least one O-Lineman but it will be someone who can play multiple positions... OG & C, or both LT & RT, or T&G.

I mean, they are looking at Avila (likely 2nd round Guard) and I don't know what the other mid-round lineman can do that they've brought in... But let's say Vatai gets hurt and Glasgow takes over... need another Glasgow type if that happens. The guy I like in that vein is Joe Tippman, who can play all over the line, has started at Center and Guard... etc.

Or, they draft Avila in the 2nd and if Vatai goes down they try out Avila first as a starter before resorting to Glasgow...?

Just speculatin'...

PS: I would list their needs as (not in any order):

a) 3-technique DT (they have run-stuffers at DT but no one as a pass-rusher from the inside which is why I am limiting it to a 3-DT...). I would also list a DE that can swing into the 3-tech spot on passing downs as a possibility... I don't think DE is a need but the right guy who can play all over the D-Line I think would be considered. Not two D-Lineman, but 1 who fits either definition... IMO.

b) X-Receiver - I think any round could be a consideration...

c) Backup QB, if they decide to draft one, or better if they wanna go after an AR or Levis... But unknown as to their actual priority here... Could end up with nothing from the draft here...? we'll see.

d) Backup O-lineman... could be just about anything as I opined above...

e) A CB to develop? For depth... I think so at the very least. A lot of good ones in this draft so... one would think.

f) Depth Safety? Maybe...?

g) RB - Swift's health is just too spotty to rely on. I think a backup RB is a must. Round could be anything from the 1st to the 6th so wide open IMO...

h) LB'er - I'm looking for a coverage LB'er... the LB corps seems weak so one would think at least one gets drafted...

i) TE? I don't really see a huge need here but everyone else seems to think it's a need so I'll just list it here... I have no idea what DC/ Holmes think...

If I had to rank them:

1) 3-tech DT.

2) RB

3) CB

4) LB

5) WR

6) Backup QB

7) Backup OL

8 )  Safety? TE?

Just guessing on need/ rank... and I think these have nothing to do with when a guy/ position is drafted by the Lions... WR could easily be a 1st rounder and RB a 3rd rounder... I think OL, TE, Safety, and LB'er are not 1st round considerations... but that's just me...

Edited by 1984Echoes

On 3/28/2023 at 11:10 PM, gehringer_2 said:

how many acres is the space out in front of Michigan Central?....

:classic_wink:

I just did a quickie measurement using Google Maps.  The current space has an area of around 1M sq ft or about 23 acres... so not nearly enough.

Just for the fun of it...  This is about 28.5 acres.

image.png.6fc23c15267e8e552c5e7137b4b92100.png

I like the Jones signing because of reliability (something that Chark couldn't offer) and leadership especially for someone like Jamo who could really use a mentor.

I do think he's a bit of a downgrade on Chark in terms of what he brings to the field at this point in his career mainly because Chark had more of an ability to separate and stretch the field but the hope is that Jamo becomes that big play threat. Either way, this is solid depth and a great guy for the locker room.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jason_R said:

He fits the bill. His ceiling is not as high as Chark's but he will be more reliable and cheaper. 

They need depth at DT, CB, RG, RB, WR, TE, LB. But they can only address five of these positions in the early rounds. It will be interesting to see what positions get left out. 

The beauty of this offseason going into the draft now is that the Lions have no real critical short term needs outside of perhaps DT and LB so they can afford to just pick talent rather than shoehorning pure need into their draft evaluation. Of course, new holes will open up after next season as contracts expire and drafting is always a long term goal but there's no real immediate needs that HAVE TO be addressed in the draft although they could really use a starting DT.

20 minutes ago, NYLion said:

The beauty of this offseason going into the draft now is that the Lions have no real critical short term needs outside of perhaps DT and LB so they can afford to just pick talent rather than shoehorning pure need into their draft evaluation. Of course, new holes will open up after next season as contracts expire and drafting is always a long term goal but there's no real immediate needs that HAVE TO be addressed in the draft although they could really use a starting DT.

With all the picks I can see the Lions drafting like Philly did last year (or us for that matter) and pick a couple of players that are raw (have talent but still need some time) or coming off an injury that you get value picks so they can contribute down the road when we start to lose players.  This is what good franchises do in the draft.  We have to start thinking about roster spots as well.  Jordan Davis is a big reason why Philly didn't give Hargrave a big contract and really Davis didn't contribute that much during the Superbowl run. 

24 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Lamar screwed by basically sitting himself out (not buying in the injury thing) -  and by not joining his teammates for a road game in the playoffs.     Not exactly the definition of a team guy.      I think he was injured, but not for the length of time he sat out.   Let the Ravens & Jackson implode.  

Even if he was hurt, the way he went about it made it a sit out. He didn’t travel with the team and announced he wouldn’t be playing on Twitter. You have to pretend to care if you want to be given the benefit of the doubt in this league.