Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

1 hour ago, buddha said:

jamaal needs a new agent.

Well it was Jamaal who said out loud: "I was disrespected" so I think he is the one who messed up. His agent may or may not have told him "this is the best deal you'll get"... but we don't know anything about any of that... so the only thing I have to go on is the player's actual statement, not the agent's unknown side in this story.

Maybe he felt he was worth/ should have been offered more years/ money/ guarantees... dunno.

But I'm sticking with the Jamaal-overvalued-his-worth side of the story...

22 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Well it was Jamaal who said out loud: "I was disrespected" so I think he is the one who messed up. His agent may or may not have told him "this is the best deal you'll get"... but we don't know anything about any of that... so the only thing I have to go on is the player's actual statement, not the agent's unknown side in this story.

Maybe he felt he was worth/ should have been offered more years/ money/ guarantees... dunno.

But I'm sticking with the Jamaal-overvalued-his-worth side of the story...

It takes two to tango. Jamaal could have followed through when he said he really wanted to stay in Detroit and re-signed even before free agency opened when he received a fair offer. His agent could have been calling teams on Monday at 12:00 looking for what they thought was reasonable to pay Jamaal, and by 6:00 told him the Lions offer appears highest. I think they’re both to blame.

As far as the Lions offer having been disrespectful though, I wonder if they returned to Jamaal after signing Montgomery and said “hey we had to move on when we didn’t hear from you, if you still want to return we can sign you as RB3, but we can only allocate a one-year / $2.5MM deal to that position”, and he felt disrespected by that subsequent offer… which would be much more reasonable than having been disrespected by a deal higher than what he ultimately signed.

5 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Well, it turned out better for everyone in the end. 

Except Jamaal. It turned out better for everyone but him. 

I guess by strict semantics, Jamaal's outcome was certainly not 'better', but that doens't that 8 million guaranteed should be considered a 'bad' outcome for anyone either.

Peter King:

I think, quietly, the Lions have gotten competitive while building intelligently for the future. Three NFL teams have 12 picks, combined, in the first three rounds of the next three drafts: Houston, Chicago and Detroit. Houston and Chicago have miles to go before they sleep. Detroit, on the verge of serious contention, picks sixth, 18th, 48th, 55th and 81st this year—a league-high five picks in the first 2.5 rounds. GM Brad Holmes has done an excellent job looking to the future while stocking his team for today. If Jared Goff is the answer at quarterback, the Lions will be consistently dangerous for the first time in some time.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I wouldn't say quietly. The Lions are clear favorites to win the division and a few people have talked about the Lions being among the top teams in the NFC. 

It’s only quiet to the masses who associate the Lions with perpetual ineptitude. To those who have been paying attention, they shouldn’t come as a surprise.

12 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Disappointed the Lions were a yes. 

Everything the Lions have done since Holmes and Campbell took over has been with football advantages in mind. Down to having Rod Wood advocate for us to get a road international game this year to stave off hosting an international game in 2024. I’m curious their rationale for this move.

9 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Everything the Lions have done since Holmes and Campbell took over has been with football advantages in mind. Down to having Rod Wood advocate for us to get a road international game this year to stave off hosting an international game in 2024. I’m curious their rationale for this move.

I would think since the Lions are guaranteed one Thursday game a year, they are among the least likely to be flexed into another one. 

7 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Figured it was going to come down to the Bears or Lions. They went with the team with the bigger fan base/name vs. the one that will likely be better and in turn give the Chiefs a better game. 

The Chiefs probably prefer to play the Bears internationally too, because they’d prefer to play the Lions at Arrowhead.

13 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Figured it was going to come down to the Bears or Lions. They went with the team with the bigger fan base/name vs. the one that will likely be better and in turn give the Chiefs a better game. 

I think it means the NFL wants Lions at KC to be a prime time game.    That wouldn’t happen if it were in Germany.  

The Chiefs really have some good home games. Don't super bowl champions start on Thursday? The Rams played the Bills last year on Thursday to open the season. Outside of their division opponents, they have the Bills, Bengals, Dolphins, Eagles, Lions and Bears. All of those teams except for the Bears are expected to be contenders. The Bills, Dolphins, Bengals and Eagles I could see them wanting to wait later in the year for so I could see the Lions and Chiefs to open the season. It would be a very intriguing matchup. It would also mean the Lions could not be flexed into a Thursday game. 

Edited by Motown Bombers

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah, I mean there's a million ways to try to over analyze this.

• Are the Bears a bigger name in Europe vs. the Lions?
  • Is the NFL trying to show case Fields (definitely an electric player... questionable if he will be a long term NFL star, but certain electric and exciting to watch)?
  • Is the NFL hoping to showcase the SB champs and give them an easier chance at a big victory on the international stage?
  • Does the NFL think that the Lions will be an even bigger deal in 2024 so wants to showcase them internationally next year?
  • How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?

i dont think the ordinary fans in the rest of the country see the lions like we do.  

we have turkey day and maybe we get a monday night game this year.  they have some marquee national teams on the schedule (bears, packers, chiefs, broncos, cowboys).

i can see them getting a monday night game against dallas or kc maybe.