Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

I hope they get him,  I think he'd be the perfect backup, he's more than capable relative to most backups but he isn't some huge name or huge character(like say a Cam Newton) that can cause of a distraction. He seems like he is a guy that would know what his job entails and what he was here for and would do what the team asks of him. 

Maybe this is a generational thing.  I don’t blame Barry & Calvin for flipping the bird at WCF and the god forsaken franchise that he built.   It’s not liked they demanded a trade and insisted to go somewhere else, they were just done after spending a decade here and it destroyed their will to want to keep playing pro football.  

Edited by Hongbit

Also we all know the Lions history but it's not like they were just these cellar dwellars when both retired, When Barry retired they made the playoffs 4 of previous 5 years and with Calvin were just a year removed from an 11 win season. Ironically enough they made the playoffs again both times the year they retired so it's not like they were surrounded by total scrubs. 

1 hour ago, holygoat said:

This seems like a journo making up a trade scenario, then reporting it as a "rumor," but if Holmes can get a 3rd rounder for Okudah, just make him GM for life. This would take "F them picks" to a whole other level, so it has to be BS.

https://www.si.com/nfl/rams/news/los-angeles-rams-trade-detroit-lions-jeff-okudah-rumor-no-3-overall-pick-cost

It’s not even a journo. It’s sports fanfic. 

On 4/9/2023 at 7:51 PM, holygoat said:

This seems like a journo making up a trade scenario, then reporting it as a "rumor," but if Holmes can get a 3rd rounder for Okudah, just make him GM for life. This would take "F them picks" to a whole other level, so it has to be BS.

https://www.si.com/nfl/rams/news/los-angeles-rams-trade-detroit-lions-jeff-okudah-rumor-no-3-overall-pick-cost

The Lions need to NOT give up on Okudah so early..... Give him another year if there's cap space. I think he'll be above average next year.... still too early to give up on him.

I hate the idea of a former #3 pick as a backup on this team (assuming he doesn't win the job) and would love to get some picks for him.  That said, conversely I love the idea that if our cap space warrants it, having a former #3 pick as a backup in a position that traditionally requires more depth than most other positions.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ewsieg said:

I hate the idea of a former #3 pick as a backup on this team (assuming he doesn't win the job) and would love to get some picks for him.  That said, conversely I love the idea that if our cap space warrants it, having a former #3 pick as a backup in a position that traditionally requires more depth than most other positions.

I'm on board with all of this...

But if he hasn't proven himself as a starter then I would prefer he gets a short 2-3 year contract that pays him as a backup/ unproven starter. If he grows into and takes over a starting CB position, not this year but in a year or so... then he can get paid starter's money on his next contract...

no one is going to pay okudah that kind of money unless he tears it up this year.  the lions have effectively replaced him already.  they benched him last year.  he isnt good.

if he suddenly becomes good, they can try to sign him, but im not going to pay him that kind of money just because he was drafted high.  and neither will anyone else.

i dont see any way they pick up that option.  spend the money on getting another good player, not on a hope that okudah can suddenly figure it out in year 5.

I'm still not giving up on Okudah just cause he has had some legit excuses thus far. His 1st year he had terrible coaching on top of the fact that it isn't unusual for corners to struggle at 1st.

Then his 2nd year he gets hurt his 1st game and misses the whole year and again not unususual for a player to struggle their first year back from a severe injury. 

This year there isn't any excuses if he looks like crap then I will officially have lost faith. 

• Like 1

His 1st year was the COVID year where training camp was limited. On top of that he had Patricia as coach and injuries. His second year was completely lost. Last year was basically his rookie year. This year he is expected to be CB1. I think it's very likely his option is declined but I think there is some confusion. He is under contract for this year and the Lions have the 3rd most cap space right now in the league. His 5th year option is for 2024. 

they have until may to pick up his 5th year option.  i doubt they do it.

yes, he's been injured, but that can also explain his lack of performance (im not sure it does, but maybe).  but regardless, he has been injured and may simply not be the same player physically he was when he was drafted.  he may have lost more than a step because of his injury.

a lot of the things i hear about okudah is that he lacks confidence and thinks too much rather than reacting.  which is why i still think he could be a good safety.  sitting back and watching things develop.  he looked so good in the box against dallas which really helped their run defense that day, i have to think he might be in line for a position switch.