Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

Outside of the OLineman they drafted, there isn't a redeeming thing about what Bob Quinn and Matt Patricia did. What a train wreck that era was.

I agree though with MB, having only gotten a 5th for Okudah, I would have rather held onto him and waited to see what he could give us.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

If you had asked me last week what I thought we would get in an Okudah trade I would have guessed a conditional 6th. I thought he was a possible training camp cut.

With Holmes’ track record, I think I like the chances of a 5th rounder he selects working out as much as I thought Okudah would have been extended. I’ll take the pick.

31 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

If you had asked me last week what I thought we would get in an Okudah trade I would have guessed a conditional 6th. I thought he was a possible training camp cut.

With Holmes’ track record, I think I like the chances of a 5th rounder he selects working out as much as I thought Okudah would have been extended. I’ll take the pick.

Agreed, I feel like because he was drafted so high he has different expectations on return but honestly he can't stay healthy and they weren't going to exercise that 5th-year option anyway. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Lions already had the 3rd most cap space in the league. They didn't need cap space unless of course they are planning something but I'm not sure what that would be at this point. 

He got phased out of the lineup and they weren't picking his option up so he would have been gone for nothing next season so they got a little draft capital for him and freed up some money for in season moves or maybe a late free agency pickup or two.

The reality is that he showed a very small sample size of NFL starting CB caliber play in 3 seasons. Most of the rest of it was ineffective play, injuries or playing injured. Cutting bait and getting another draft asset for Holmes to play with was the right move, I expected a 6th or 7th so a 5th is good with me. It'll probably be good for Okudah as well to have a fresh start and a bigger opportunity for playing time. 

Chances are that they'll draft a CB in the first 2 rounds but that was likely anyway before the Okudah trade.

Edited by NYLion

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Lions already had the 3rd most cap space in the league. They didn't need cap space unless of course they are planning something but I'm not sure what that would be at this point. 

you can't have too much cap space. This gives you five more and jettisons a maybe 4th corner for a pick instead of hoping he defies all logic an gets better in year 4 and getting nothing.

Yeah it’s a shame it worked out this way for Okudah and the Lions but they were never going to pick up his option and this trade saves them the drama of ongoing questions about it. 

If Darius Slay got a 3rd and a 5th, a 5th for Okudah is reasonable. 

14 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Yeah it’s a shame it worked out this way for Okudah and the Lions but they were never going to pick up his option and this trade saves them the drama of ongoing questions about it. 

If Darius Slay got a 3rd and a 5th, a 5th for Okudah is reasonable. 

I think if he hadn't been coached by maybe the worst defensive coach I've ever seen that maybe his career gets off to a better start and he becomes the player some thought he would become.      Most of us were disappointed with that pick on draft night and most of us were right.