Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

There were also some that wanted Isaiah Simmons or Derrick Brown. I don't think either are particularly lighting the world on fire so I think it was just one of those drafts where unless we took Herbert which nobody was calling for we were probably going to be screwed no matter who we took. 

14 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Okudah is an unfortunate story that is emblematic of the prior regime. A bad pick, combined with awful coaching, put together with poor injury luck. He wasn’t a guy from this regime, and it was time to move on.

I do wish all the best for Okudah in the future. Seems like a great guy who never really had a chance here.

Watch him become a Pro-Bowler this year....... I think he'll be a top 15 Corner in the NFL this year. Just a hunch.

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

There were also some that wanted Isaiah Simmons or Derrick Brown. I don't think either are particularly lighting the world on fire so I think it was just one of those drafts where unless we took Herbert which nobody was calling for we were probably going to be screwed no matter who we took. 

A lot like I feel about this draft.

14 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Okudah is an unfortunate story that is emblematic of the prior regime. A bad pick, combined with awful coaching, put together with poor injury luck. He wasn’t a guy from this regime, and it was time to move on.

This applies to the Avila-era Tigers, too.

7 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

If you had asked me last week what I thought we would get in an Okudah trade I would have guessed a conditional 6th. I thought he was a possible training camp cut.

With Holmes’ track record, I think I like the chances of a 5th rounder he selects working out as much as I thought Okudah would have been extended. I’ll take the pick.

Yup. This is Holmes getting something for a guy they expected to cut. A 5th was about the best I figured anyone would give up for him. Good move.

20 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What would it take to get Devin White, who wants to be traded.     Two 2nd Rounders?  1 this year and 1 next?  

roquan smith went for a low second round pick.  anything more than that is an overpay for white.

My initial thought, like many others here, was that I'd prefer to keep him and let him walk after 2023 for just a 5th round pick.  But upon further contemplation I think that he was so far down the depth chart for the Lions that they probably figure they can pick up someone off the street for the same production and less money.

I also think that there's a very good chance that this signals that the Lions are planning on drafting a CB rather early on.  One of the reasons they might not have done that is that they already have a relatively crowded DB room and drafted CB may not see the field much.  Well, the room is now a tad thinner so there's not as much of a concern there. Obviously it'll still depend on how things shake out in the draft but my guess is we'll see a CB taken in the first two rounds now.

14 hours ago, buddha said:

roquan smith went for a low second round pick.  anything more than that is an overpay for white.

I'd be all in on getting Devin White, just as I was for getting Bobby Wagner and Lavonte David. I'd be willing to offer up either of our 2nd round picks for a 25 year old, stud LB. You only hope a guy you draft is as good as Devin White is. He's still only 25, so he'd likely have at least another 4-5 good seasons left.

17 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'd be all in on getting Devin White, just as I was for getting Bobby Wagner and Lavonte David. I'd be willing to offer up either of our 2nd round picks for a 25 year old, stud LB. You only hope a guy you draft is as good as Devin White is. He's still only 25, so he'd likely have at least another 4-5 good seasons left.

its a matter of resource allocation.  white comes with a big contract.  everyone cant have a big contract so you have to decide who and how to structure it.

Anothet Okudah trade comp, last September the Jags traded CJ Henderson who was the next db drafted after Okudah at 8 overall along with a 5th round pick to the Colts for a 3rd round pick.

So we may have been able to extract a little more value out of him if we traded him at the deadline but based off this comp it prob wouldn't have been much more. 

If the Lions do get 5 primetime games and that does not include Thanksgiving, my picks would be Thursday night to open the season at Kansas City, Monday Night against the Chargers and either the Vikings or Packers at home, and Sunday Night games against New Orleans and Seattle. Thanksgiving will be either Packers or Vikings, whichever one didn't make it on Monday. I'm leaning Vikings for Monday Night and Packers for Thanksgiving. 

13 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think the general national reaction to the Okudah trade doesn’t recognize just how poorly he played down the stretch. He had stretches where he looked okay, but he also got absolutely burned over the top on some plays where he was completely lost.

It was a top story on ESPN, Falcons fans (on a message board I checked out) were over the moon. "Former 3rd overall pick Jeff Okudah got traded" as if this was a guy who just got drafted 3rd.

This was a depth CB that got traded. I think some people see that he was drafted highly and assume that he's this top player but I can understand the lack of knowledge about the players because who really cared about the Lions before they started biting kneecaps halfway through last season.