Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

Some QB extensions are no brainers, Hurts qualifies. If Goff leads the Lions to a Super Bowl with MVP level performance then his extension will be a no brainer.

I don't think Hurts is a no brainer. He's had one year of elite play. He's also a QB who relies on his legs and they are more injury prone (Hurts has already missed time due to injury) and age quicker. I would have felt better about Goff after 2018 than I do about Hurts but the Eagles really had no choice. I do think there is a bit of risk, more so than someone like Burrow or Herbert. 

A caller brought up an interesting point about Goff and his extension, we all assume that if we offer him up one now he will take it but what if he is the one that wants to wait?

I mean he's got another couple years on his current deal and qb prices are only going to go up, couple that with us having a great supporting cast, coaching and high expectations and there is a relatively good chance he repeats or even tops his performance from last year on top of leading us to hopefully a deep playoff run. 

If that were to happen he could probably write himself a blank check. 

I like the fact that they haven't talked extension yet.  For multiple reasons.  First is for this draft and teams not knowing if they will pick a QB in this draft.  Second is if they wait till after or during this season and see how he plays.  If we win a playoff game or even better then that means he is worth extending.  This isn't his last contract year.  I also don't think they will have to overpay for him regardless of his situation because I don't think another team is going to be paying Goff like Hurts.  I think teams know that he is a QB that will play great with the RIGHT situation.  He is not the QB that is going to win you games like a Hurts or Mahomes does.  Goff also isn't desperate to get another huge contract since he has already had a big contract.  That takes away the desperation like Jackson is going through.  Lions are in a good situation and really so is Goff. 

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

A caller brought up an interesting point about Goff and his extension, we all assume that if we offer him up one now he will take it but what if he is the one that wants to wait?

I mean he's got another couple years on his current deal and qb prices are only going to go up, couple that with us having a great supporting cast, coaching and high expectations and there is a relatively good chance he repeats or even tops his performance from last year on top of leading us to hopefully a deep playoff run. 

If that were to happen he could probably write himself a blank check. 

It's a chance. But its risk reward. I mean he could wait but really how much mroe is he gonna get guarenteed?

Better just to take your $200 million and call it a day instead of risking injury/poor preformance for an extra $20 million. 

56 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

RE Ben Johnson, I don't doubt that he is a very good OC, but I do wonder how much of the offensive efficiency and productivity was thanks to MCDC.

dan campbell?  he was the head coach when lynn was here too.  and they (and goff) sucked.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

RE Ben Johnson, I don't doubt that he is a very good OC, but I do wonder how much of the offensive efficiency and productivity was thanks to MCDC.

Campbell runs this thing. I like Johnson too but I think the impact some think will happen when losing him is grossly overstated.