Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

Just now, RandyMarsh said:

I think it sometimes gets forgotten or atleast understated is that Campbell sat under the Sean Payton learning tree who many regard as one of the best Xs and Os guys of the last couple decades. 

I see a lot of Payton in Campbell. The team is aggressive and has that edge that Payton's teams had. At the risk of certain posters coming and having a meltdown, I do see similarities talent wise between Brees and Goff and feel Goff can run the same offense Brees did. 

I will laugh my ever loving ass off if we swing a trade for a player myself and others originally wanted in 2021. Also, this is a good lesson in why a win now team, with a good enough QB to win, shouldn't surrender first round picks for the latest hot name QB. I wonder how much better San Francisco's roster would be if they had drafted Penei Sewell, Ja'Marr Chase or Micah Parsons.

I can't believe I'm saying this though because I was always someone chasing after the latest and greatest rookie QB and wanted Trey Lance in the 2021 draft. It's not to say you never draft a rookie QB, but for a good team, with a good QB, to surrender a lot of first round draft capital to go and do it, it doesn't always make sense to do so.

I have to wonder how much better off they would be if they traded for Stafford? Garoppolo plus the 12th pick and additional 1st probably gets it done instead of three first rounders for Lance. I never liked Lance. He's Anthony Richardson before Anthony Richardson. He wowed with his physical ability but he played at the equivelant of a DII school for one season. Everyone got enamoured with the physical talent. 

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I have to wonder how much better off they would be if they traded for Stafford? Garoppolo plus the 12th pick and additional 1st probably gets it done instead of three first rounders for Lance. I never liked Lance. He's Anthony Richardson before Anthony Richardson. He wowed with his physical ability but he played at the equivelant of a DII school for one season. Everyone got enamoured with the physical talent. 

Assuming Stafford played close to the same he did in 2021 and assuming the Rams don't trade for a different QB and Goff played the same way in 2021 as he did the previous year for the Rams then I think you can almost guarantee that at the very least SF would've made the SB and been heavy favorites against the Bengals.(assuming the butterfly effect of the trade didn't change their outcome either)  

In another butterfly effect scenario in the hypothetical Niners Stafford trade is if the Niners go through with that then that would mean that unless another team made them a similar Godfather type offer that Philly would've stayed at 3. If that were to happen maybe they take Lance and we never get the Hurts breakout? 

12 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Assuming Stafford played close to the same he did in 2021 and assuming the Rams don't trade for a different QB and Goff played the same way in 2021 as he did the previous year for the Rams then I think you can almost guarantee that at the very least SF would've made the SB and been heavy favorites against the Bengals.(assuming the butterfly effect of the trade didn't change their outcome either)  

In another butterfly effect scenario in the hypothetical Niners Stafford trade is if the Niners go through with that then that would mean that unless another team made them a similar Godfather type offer that Philly would've stayed at 3. If that were to happen maybe they take Lance and we never get the Hurts breakout? 

Ironically it's possible the Lions trade up to 3 given they would have had 7 and 12 to offer and Garoppolo would be looked more as a bridge probably than Goff. 

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Poor Slay, he just signed his extension too! BTW Patricia must be a helluva interviewer to land all the jobs he has gotten because his results and player feedback haven't exactly been stellar. 

His spring break skills are also very sus. 

13 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Poor Slay, he just signed his extension too! BTW Patricia must be a helluva interviewer to land all the jobs he has gotten because his results and player feedback haven't exactly been stellar. 

He’s just a member of good ole boys club. Guaranteed a BS analyst or senior assistant job no matter the ineptitude.

56 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

This is really the first non New England connected job he has gotten. 

Meanwhile, the Lions brought in John Fox for a similar role. A guy who has coached multiple teams to Super Bowls. 

So it looks like many of the journalists aren't going to pay the $8 a month for their blue check mark so for those that get their news from twitter like me we'll have to keep a close eye on any posts we see cause I'm sure there are just going to be even more troll/fake accounts that try to fool people. 

19 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

So it looks like many of the journalists aren't going to pay the $8 a month for their blue check mark so for those that get their news from twitter like me we'll have to keep a close eye on any posts we see cause I'm sure there are just going to be even more troll/fake accounts that try to fool people. 

I made sure to follow a bunch of legit account before the change. You can tell the real Schefter since he has 10 million followers. A fake one is not going to have that many followers. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Matt Patricia and John Fox are not the same. Why is this controversial to you? 

the only thing you really know about john gox is that he once was head coach of a team that went to the super bowl and he's now with the lions.  the latter really being your reason for somehow liking this hire.  if/when the bears hired (and fired) him, you didnt care and would have laughed.  but when the LIONS hire him, its somehow a great thing.

patricia as a dc has a more successful resume than fox.  but you ignore that because you know patricia sucks.  fox sucks too.  he was awful with the bears.  he's old.  this is just more retirement money for an old dude with connections.