Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

Just now, KL2 said:

That's true of any workplace through. There are certain rules such as don't drink on the job. Off site ok, work hours not so much.

What is “on the job” though? They’re allowed to drink in many of the circumstances where any form of gambling is prohibited. For instance, the team hotel and plane.

If six games is a prescribed penalty within the policy, it is what it is. Jameson needs to know better and it’s inexcusable. If it’s Goodell and his cronies waving their magic wand and dictating a number though, I would expect an appeal.

Just now, MichiganCardinal said:

What is “on the job” though? They’re allowed to drink in many of the circumstances where any form of gambling is prohibited. For instance, the team hotel and plane.

If six games is a prescribed penalty within the policy, it is what it is. Jameson needs to know better and it’s inexcusable. If it’s Goodell and his cronies waving their magic wand and dictating a number though, I would expect an appeal.

Same as any other workplace where it's in the workplace or a company truck.

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I have a feeling the appeals process has already taken place considering the infractions occurred during the season 

Well,  here's your  How can the Lions **** it up scenario we all knew was coming, right?    I mean, you didn't think they were going to actually cruise to the NFC North title.    

Talk about stupid

And yes, the irony of it with all the gambling entities in bed with the NFL. 

Maybe an appeal gets it down to 3 or 4 games. 

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

Maybe it's just me, but I have a feeling all these suspensions might not stick.    The NFLPA certainly could bring a case against the league about how gambling is PROMOTED by the league itself.    Still a stupid move by WIlliams, but if he wasnt' gambling on his own league..........then lets get real here. 

Just now, Dan Gilmore said:

Does this increase the odds of them picking Bijan? Less WR capabilities (for 6 games), but more RB punch (and RB passing targets).

None of us can be fully sure, but I think it makes a top-tier playmaker like Bijan more appealing. We know, thanks to the Jamo trade, that Brad Holmes likes elite playmakers when he identifies them. If Holmes and the front office have Robinson identified as one of the few elite playmakers in this draft they may not care as much about positional value and just go and get him.

On 4/18/2023 at 3:57 PM, Motown Bombers said:

Fantastic, guess no one will be suggesting to draft a QB to save on cap space anymore. 

There's a gigantic difference between suggesting that drafting a QB rather than resigning a veteran could save on cap space (which is an objective fact, btw) and saying:

"you can only win with a QB on a rookie contract"