Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

14 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Same as any other workplace where it's in the workplace or a company truck.

I’ve worked for places that involved extensive travel. I was on the road for four months without interruption. When I was “off” (I.e., in the hotel… the hotel bar….. a newly made friend’s home…..) I was not held to any standards outside those that I would be held to if I was in my own bed. I still couldn’t commit crimes obviously, or trash the hotel room, but this policy seems to go above and beyond that, to dictating irrelevant factors in that time.

All the same, Jamo needs to know better, and he needs to do better.

18 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Maybe it's just me, but I have a feeling all these suspensions might not stick.    The NFLPA certainly could bring a case against the league about how gambling is PROMOTED by the league itself.    Still a stupid move by WIlliams, but if he wasnt' gambling on his own league..........then lets get real here. 

They also promote beer but you can't show up to a game drunk 

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I’ve worked for places that involved extensive travel. I was on the road for four months without interruption. When I was “off” (I.e., in the hotel… the hotel bar….. a newly made friend’s home…..) I was not held to any standards outside those that I would be held to if I was in my own bed. I still couldn’t commit crimes obviously, or trash the hotel room, but this policy seems to go above and beyond that, to dictating irrelevant factors in that time.

Yes he does, but the thing that irritates me is that these are BUSINESS PARTNERS with the NFL. 

I want team owners investigated now.    You wanna get real, lets get real.     This kid's betting on college games in the team building.  How many of these owners are betting on actual NFL games.   Guarantee it's more than one. 

33 minutes ago, buddha said:

im sure theyve known about this for a while.  all the smoke about jamo and character were probably about this.

This might explain the "accountability" comments from Holmes earlier this off season... I mean, assuming that this is something that happened a while ago and the NFL is just finishing up the inquiry into it now.

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Welcome to a job that is much more in the public eye than whatever you do.

You can’t bet on NFL games and you can’t bet with bookies are both legitimate gambling rules that need strict enforcement and harsh punishments.    

This rule that you can bet on other sports on your own device but not while on NFL property is ridiculous.  They need to rethink the future of all of their gambling rules especially if the NFL is going to continue to do business with the FanDuel, DraftKings, and MGM’s of the world.  

Edited by Hongbit

1 minute ago, RedRamage said:

This might explain the "accountability" comments from Holmes earlier this off season... I mean, assuming that this is something that happened a while ago and the NFL is just finishing up the inquiry into it now.

The Lions signed CJ Moore on March 18th. Obviously they wouldn't have signed him if they knew he was going to be suspended so they likely found out recently. 

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

That’s just it though. Whether it’s me or him or you, I don’t really care what he’s doing on his personal time if it’s not impacting the integrity of the game.

As long as it isn't violent, no.     Goes for all of them.  

This will be reduced upon appeal........probably to 4 games.         Glad it happened before the draft, though.   Maybe that's why they announced it today. 

It was nice to be out of SOL for a few months. It's a few months of good times that I'll never forget because now we're back. 

Of course it had to be Jamo of all people. The player on the Lions with the most character question marks and arguably the player they're relying on the most going forward to ignite the offense is doing more knucklehead things. This kid just feels like another "what if" in a long line of Lions "what ifs". Overreaction perhaps but he's been on thin ice as is and I'm conditioned to always think the worst as a Lions fan.

Now this changes the draft strategy on multiple fronts I'd imagine. They'll probably be forced to take a receiver sooner now and I would think that Carter is completely off the board. Don't need any more bad PR or risk taking on high picks, that's for sure. Just wonderful

Edited by NYLion

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

You can’t bet on NFL games and you can’t be with bookies are both legitimate gambling rules that need strict enforcement and harsh punishments.    

This rule that you can bet on other sports on your own device but not while on NFL property is ridiculous.  They need to rethink the future of all of their gambling rules especially if the NFL is going to continue to do business with the FanDuel, DraftKings, and MGM’s of the world.  

For sure on the first art. You can't be a Pete Rose and bet on games in the league you are currently involved with. As to the second part, it's a stupid and illogical to have a rule that defines where you bet. Especially when you consider the league makes millions and millions from the sports betting apps. Of course though, it's the Lions players who this happens to.

27 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

What is “on the job” though? They’re allowed to drink in many of the circumstances where any form of gambling is prohibited. For instance, the team hotel and plane.

Different jobs have different rules. For example, I carry a swiss army knife with me virtually all the time and definitely at by job. It's 100% legal and my job has zero issues with it. My wife, on the other hand, is a school teacher and it's banned for anyone to carry a knife on school grounds.

If six games is a prescribed penalty within the policy, it is what it is. Jameson needs to know better and it’s inexcusable. If it’s Goodell and his cronies waving their magic wand and dictating a number though, I would expect an appeal.

It seems a bit high for me too, but gambling is like the biggest sin in sports. Any appearance of fixing games can seriously hurt the image of a sports league. I'm honestly a little surprised that gambling on non-NFL games is allowed outside of team situations.

4 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

That’s just it though. Whether it’s me or him or you, I don’t really care what he’s doing on his personal time if it’s not impacting the integrity of the game.

I mean it clear we just disagree here. My guess if he played for the Bears you wouldn't be making this case.

The rules are no gambling.

The rules extend to all team activities, why because it's a high profile job and any gambling risks the integrity of the game either by directly betting on the sport or by creating a slippery slope that makes it easier to do so.

I have no problem with the suspension because he knew the rules and violated them. You are just looking for every way to rationalize it away.

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Lions signed CJ Moore on March 18th. Obviously they wouldn't have signed him if they knew he was going to be suspended so they likely found out recently. 

Eh... good point. That means there was enough "other stuff" to make Holmes semi-call out Jamo earlier AND then this too.  Not good. To be clear, I do think this is a horrible moral sin on Jamo's part... just kinda stupid that he isn't aware of the rules or is aware and thought he could get away with it.

59 minutes ago, buddha said:

for everyone who DOESNT want to take carter or others with "character concerns", quintez ceephus should be your exhibit A.  

They're not picking Carter now, no chance. If they were wavering before, this puts that to rest I'd think.

18 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Apparently there were Lions staff member gambling as well. 

If true, then I'm more than a bit PO'd and a bit worried. This feels like it bordering on a "lack of institutional control" and may explain why the Lions seemed to be hit so hard. Makes you wonder if someone who got fired (*cough* AP *cough*) leaked to the NFL that maybe they should check out the Lions and the rampant gambling problems there.

Also makes me wonder if gambling is pretty common in the NFL and others just hide it better?

Just now, RedRamage said:

If true, then I'm more than a bit PO'd and a bit worried. This feels like it bordering on a "lack of institutional control" and may explain why the Lions seemed to be hit so hard. Makes you wonder if someone who got fired (*cough* AP *cough*) leaked to the NFL that maybe they should check out the Lions and the rampant gambling problems there.

Also makes me wonder if gambling is pretty common in the NFL and others just hide it better?

I never thought of a recently fired coach could become a snitch. It is weird though three of the four players suspended were receivers and they were either on injured reserve or practice squad. 

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Williams could have easily went down in training camp with an injury that took him out 6 weeks. Just have to adjust. I don't think this changes their draft plans. 

I think it might because there were some red flags with him as is with these little immature moments leading up to this with the diva behavior in Green Bay, the apparent poor practice habits and the Lamar to Detroit tweet liking extravaganza. I know if I was GM, I wouldn't trust this kid to be a long term solution.

Edited by NYLion

He used the Lions corporate network to gamble on college football games. Any other place on the face of the earth and he's free and clear.

Lack of maturity and it's just plain stupid. We can debate whether the rule is fair or not. But I'm penalizing him for just being dumb.

Just now, kdog said:

He used the Lions corporate network to gamble on college football games. Any other place on the face of the earth and he's free and clear.

Lack of maturity and it's just plain stupid. We can debate whether the rule is fair or not. But I'm penalizing him for just being dumb.

I was wondering how he got caught. Gambling isn't allowed where I work and out IT team has a firewall that blocks it.