Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Request a trade like Stafford. 

they dont have to grant it.  and then he'd have to hold out and lose $$$.

the lions hold all the cards with goff.  he can play out his contract and they can franchise him if they want to.

By leverage I mean more of have a different option.  If Goff has another good/great year (most likely) than he will earn himself more $ although he also has to consider who will give him more $ than the Lions that is also in a winning situation.  The Lions have more leverage than they had before they drafter Hooker is all I am saying because there is a different option to go in a different direction that they didn't have before the pick.  Both of the comparisons others gave are just comparisons and I think they are good.  Although every situation is different.  If Goff has a good/great year AND they win a playoff game, he earned the right to get an extension.  How much is where having some different options helps with how much you have to pay him is all I am saying.  I do think they think Hooker is good although it also gives the Lions options.  We can all guess but really no one (even the Lions) really knows until the situation becomes more clear.  We still don't know what next seasons success or failure will bring or even if Hooker is going to be more than a back up in this league.  This pick had multiple reasons than just that they like Hooker.  You have to give Holmes more credit than just picking a good player.  Other positions, yes, although QB there is always more to the pick.

Just now, buddha said:

they dont have to grant it.  and then he'd have to hold out and lose $$$.

the lions hold all the cards with goff.  he can play out his contract and they can franchise him if they want to.

They don't have to. They didn't have to with Stafford but acquiesced and took a large dead cap hit. Maybe Goff can go to Cabo in the offseason and go team shopping? 

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

They don't have to. They didn't have to with Stafford but acquiesced and took a large dead cap hit. Maybe Goff can go to Cabo in the offseason and go team shopping? 

they were rebuilding when stafford made that request.  new regime.  this is a team that is allegedly ready to compete for championships.  they might trade goff if hooker is a revelation.  or sign him to a deal that allows them to get rid of him cheaply in another extra year in exchange for more guaranteed cash if hooker is just an ordinary 3rd rounder.

but they certainly dont have to acquiesce to a trade request.  this scenario is (hopefully) nothing like the situation when stafford asked to be dealt.

1 minute ago, buddha said:

they were rebuilding when stafford made that request.  new regime.  this is a team that is allegedly ready to compete for championships.  they might trade goff if hooker is a revelation.  or sign him to a deal that allows them to get rid of him cheaply in another extra year in exchange for more guaranteed cash if hooker is just an ordinary 3rd rounder.

but they certainly dont have to acquiesce to a trade request.  this scenario is (hopefully) nothing like the situation when stafford asked to be dealt.

That's fine. The trade request would be if the Lions don't give Goff an extension. If the Lions have the season they are expected to have, Goff has the potential to do something no Lions QB, including Stafford, has done in over 30 years. I would call the Lions bluff and say if you think you can do this with Hooker, then do it and move me somewhere else. This would be Goff wanting to stay in Detroit but the Lions not committing to Goff. The scenario wouldn't be the same, but you acquiesced to Stafford but not Goff? Again, this would be Goff wanting to stay. 

I’m not sure the market for Goff is there outside Detroit.   He has value here but do other teams see him as more of a game manager.   Valenti just compared it to the Daniel Jones situation at NYG.  They were probably the only team that would’ve given him a $45M contract but it worked out best for both sides to do that now.    I do think that if Goff has another great season , he will be valued as top echelon QB across the league.  He would most likely be getting a huge extension from the Lions in that case.  

As of now, Hooker is a nothing more than a 3rd round insurance plan.  However, once he gets healthy and starts slinging it around at practice and making ooh and ahh throws on a regular basis that could change the thinking and the cloud the Lions future decision.   

Edited by Hongbit

I think Hooker is the one trying out this year, with the second team and practice squad. He’ll have a shot to dethrone Goff, but the bar is very high and it’s Goff’s job to lose, not Hooker’s to win.

Goff does well = extend Goff, workin 2024 to create situations that showcase Hooker for possible trade partners in 2025 (unless Hooker looks like Mahomes or something crazy)

Goff does meh or worse and Hooker looks good = create a transition plan

Both Goff and Hooker look meh or worse = status quo, go into 2024 without an extension

7 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think Hooker is the one trying out this year, with the second team and practice squad. He’ll have a shot to dethrone Goff, but the bar is very high and it’s Goff’s job to lose, not Hooker’s to win.

Goff does well = extend Goff, workin 2024 to create situations that showcase Hooker for possible trade partners in 2025 (unless Hooker looks like Mahomes or something crazy)

Goff does meh or worse and Hooker looks good = create a transition plan

Both Goff and Hooker look meh or worse = status quo, go into 2024 without an extension

This is pretty much my thought.  The decision will depend mainly on Goff.  It’s his job to take.  

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I just don't see Goff playing 2024 with the Lions without an extension. I don't think he is just going to play the final two years and they depart and go their separate ways. 

Hooker said one of the first people to reach out to him was Goff.  And how much we was looking forward to learning from him.

Holmes had said they’ve been upfront with Goff all draft process so this clearly wasn’t a surprise and they are confident it won’t be an issue.  Goff isn’t Aaron Rogers or even Ryan Tannehill who won’t help the backup.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Hendon Hooker is not leverage. If Goff has another season like last year, he should demand a contract extension or a trade. He can tell the Lions if you feel comfortable that Hooker can take over and win the division than trade me. I have a feeling this is Goff's last year in Detroit. Either he regresses and they decide to go to Hooker, or he plays well and forces them to trade him. 

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

If they extend Goff, I would be pissed if I was Hooker. Guy is 25 he's not getting any younger. By the time his Lions contract is over, he will be 29. 

I don't think either one of them has any business being pissed.  Every team needs more than 1 QB, & there are only 32 people on the planet who are starting NFL QBs.  If Hooker is smart, he will learn everything he can & put the work in as if he were going to start - If he wastes his time being pissed at stupid stuff like other QB  contracts he will go on the trash heap with the Jamarcus Russell's of the world.  I think he's a little more with it than that - & I trust that Brad Holmes knows that, which is why he was picked.

Edited by djhutch

25 minutes ago, 4hzglory said:

Hooker said one of the first people to reach out to him was Goff.  And how much we was looking forward to learning from him.

Holmes had said they’ve been upfront with Goff all draft process so this clearly wasn’t a surprise and they are confident it won’t be an issue.  Goff isn’t Aaron Rogers or even Ryan Tannehill who won’t help the backup.

Of course, Goff isn't a douche but he's going to want to get paid. If he goes out and repeats the year he had, the Lions will need to either pay him or move him. 

23 minutes ago, djhutch said:

I don't think either one of them has any business being pissed.  Every team needs more than 1 QB, & there are only 32 people on the planet who are starting NFL QBs.  If Hooker is smart, he will learn everything he can & put the work in as if he were going to start - If he wastes his time being pissed at stupid stuff like other QB  contracts he will go on the trash heap with the Jamarcus Russell's of the world.  I think he's a little more with it than that - & I trust that Brad Holmes knows that, which is why he was picked.

He would be pissed because if Goff signs an extension, he's relegated to being a career backup and never getting a shot at being a franchise QB. He won't become a free agent until age 29. It's not about Goff's contract but the fact his opportunity to start basically goes away. 

For Hooker's sake maybe the Lions will actually be one of those teams where they clinch early or have nothing to play for at the end of the season so he gets some run. If that were to happen and he excels that could create a market for him where teams would be willing to give up something of value to make him their qb. I think about how Jimmy G excelled when Brady was suspended and he ended up creating a market and the Pats dealt him for a 2nd round pick. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

He would be pissed because if Goff signs an extension, he's relegated to being a career backup and never getting a shot at being a franchise QB. He won't become a free agent until age 29. It's not about Goff's contract but the fact his opportunity to start basically goes away. 

Nah, if he's good, he'll get opportunities. He just needs to focus on getting good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

For Hooker's sake maybe the Lions will actually be one of those teams where they clinch early or have nothing to play for at the end of the season so he gets some run. If that were to happen and he excels that could create a market for him where teams would be willing to give up something of value to make him their qb. I think about how Jimmy G excelled when Brady was suspended and he ended up creating a market and the Pats dealt him for a 2nd round pick. 

Jimmy G appeared in 17 games and started two over three years for NE before getting flipped. 

21 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Lions have a lot of cap space too. Rumors are Za'darius Smith could be cut in Minnesota. He bounced back and had 10 sacks last year. Could be a nice June 1st pick up. 

I'd love to get Smith if he is cut. I think he is better than some of the washed up names I have heard people suggest on 97.1 like Jadaveon Clowney, Carlos Dunlap, or Justin Houston. 

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'd love to get Smith if he is cut. I think he is better than some of the washed up names I have heard people suggest on 97.1 like Jadaveon Clowney, Carlos Dunlap, or Justin Houston. 

What they really need is a pocket collapsing defensive tackle and a big, fast x receiver.

29 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

UDFA Mohamed Ibrahim from Minnesota received $100k in guaranteed money. Have to wonder if he will compete to push Craig Reynolds off the 53-man. Could be a running back room that returns no one if so.

i like that pickup a lot for detroit.  ibrahim was a good back at minnesota.

• Like 1

Post-draft Power Rankings

Elite: (1) Kansas City Chiefs, (2) Philadelphia Eagles, (3) Cincinnati Bengals, (4) Buffalo Bills

Very Good: (5) San Francisco 49ers, (6) Miami Dolphins, (7) Detroit Lions, (8) Dallas Cowboys, (9) Pittsburgh Steelers

Good: (10) Baltimore Ravens, (11) Seattle Seahawks, (12) Jacksonville Jaguars, (13) New York Jets

Average: (14) Los Angeles Chargers, (15) New York Giants, (16) Atlanta Falcons, (17) New Orleans Saints, (18) Minnesota Vikings

Not Good: (19) New England Patriots, (20) Green Bay Packers, (21) Cleveland Browns, (22) Tennessee Titans, (23) Los Angeles Rams, (24) Chicago Bears, (25) Denver Broncos

Very Bad: (26) Indianapolis Colts, (27) Carolina Panthers, (28) Houston Texans, (29) Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Putrid: (30) Washington Commanders, (31) Las Vegas Raiders, (32) Arizona Cardinals

• Like 1