2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

6 minutes ago, Archie said:

Add me to the believe it won't happen list.  I don't think the Tigers are willing to commit to a deal like that yet.  They have a history of big deals not panning out so I think they are more likely to sign a guy like A. Simmons for a year than do a big long term deal. That's my two cents and now they might sign Correa tomorrow???

There is less of a history of decent players signing one year deals, especially with us. But, sure lets go with that one. 

5 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Anyway, my feeling about Kreidler is:

(1) I don't expect a lot from him.

(2) He is worth keeping an eye on.

(3) He shouldn't impact their winter shopping.  

Agreed. If we spend big on a SS and Kriedler ends up being a legit prospect well then we just got another asset to work with whether it be as a trade chip or possibly a move to 2b.

On the other hand if we pass on the SS class this year and put our faith in Kriedler we are back to square one if/when he flames out.

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, casimir said:

The thing that I like about the Tigers' 2022 Opening Day shortstop is that no matter who it is, someone in here is going to be angar about it.

People would complain if they got Honus Wagner.  If Avila signs a bowlegged shortstop to a 10 year deal, I'm done with this team.  

Edited by Tiger337

6 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I don't mind Baez.  If those other 3 guys don't want to come here, he's a heck of a lot better than the Castros and Niko and Short.  He would represent a team improvement power, speed, and defense.

Plus. imagine how much fun it would be to have both Baez and Baddoo on the team at the same time. That would be magic.

5 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

If a clubhouse needs to be controlled, Hinch has already proven that he can't do it.  But I haven't heard anything to suggest that Baez would hurt "clubhouse chemistry".  Correa, on the other hand, was in that Astros clubhouse that defied Hinch and cost him his job.

You make a very interesting point. Everybody assumes Carlos Correa wants to come to Detroit because of our manager but is it possible our manager does not want him at all because he did undermine him before in Houston.

8 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

You make a very interesting point. Everybody assumes Carlos Correa wants to come to Detroit because of our manager but is it possible our manager does not want him at all because he did undermine him before in Houston.

Sure, Hinch might not want reunited with Correa. The feelings could be mutual.  Ilitch/Avila might not want that that possibility of a distraction even if Correa/Hinch are kosher.  Maybe they’re all good with it.  Maybe the Tigers want to go with another SS for whatever reason.

And along those lines, the assumption of Verlander “coming home” might not work out as some folks have assumed.