2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

10 hours ago, chasfh said:

Cubs and Mets fans love Javy Baez’s personality and the majority of each fan base would be thrilled to have him back.

How about that? For the first time in forever, I actually care whether  a majority Mets fans are happy or not! Hope they get their wish.   

I guess it's true what they say about "never say 'never' "?  :classic_biggrin:

39 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

You make a very interesting point. Everybody assumes Carlos Correa wants to come to Detroit because of our manager but is it possible our manager does not want him at all because he did undermine him before in Houston.

If Correa wants to come to Detroit, and Hinch objects...see ya, AJ.  

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Avila loves AJ. I can't imagine them bringing in someone he has objections to. OTOH, the idea that AJ  has a problem with Correa is the purest speculation at this point.

Sure, it's all speculation.  But if I'm Chris Ilitch and I want Correa and think I could get him, and then Al Avila tells me that that would make the manager uncomfortable, I would blow my stack.  If it really were the case that Hinch didn't want Correa, I think he would keep that to himself and try to make the best of it.

2 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Sure, it's all speculation.  But if I'm Chris Ilitch and I want Correa and think I could get him, and then Al Avila tells me that that would make the manager uncomfortable, I would blow my stack.  If it really were the case that Hinch didn't want Correa, I think he would keep that to himself and try to make the best of it.

I would love to read an article about Chris I getting angry about something.

3 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

I would love to read an article about Chris I getting angry about something.

I wonder if Chris I will entertain approaches by agents trying to cut out his FO or if in his process Avila and maybe even Hinch would be pulled in before he ever made a decision over the head of the club management in the way his father appeared to have done on occasion.

8 hours ago, buddha said:

pick one:

seager: 10 years 320 million

correa: 10 years 300 million

semien: 5 years 148 million

story: 7 years 204 million

beaz: 6 years 172 million

i'll take correa.  i think he's a star.

It seems like the AAVs for Seager and Correa are inverted, but essentially its only $2M per.  They're all dancing around $30M per.  That might be the neighborhood for Correa, Seager, and Story, but I have a hard time seeing that for Semien and Baez.  Maybe Semien and Baez get that, but I wouldn't want the Tigers to offer it to them, not for the contract lengths that you've got there.

I'd probably order the preference Correa, Seager, Story.  After that, I look the trade route and/or hope that Semien/Baez fall down to around 4 year contracts.

10 hours ago, buddha said:

pick one:

seager: 10 years 320 million

correa: 10 years 300 million

semien: 5 years 148 million

story: 7 years 204 million

beaz: 6 years 172 million

i'll take correa.  i think he's a star.

Correa is amazing, but frankly, I think Seager is the more durable/reliable option.

I would take Story over Semien.

Any of them would make me very happy.

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I wonder if Chris I will entertain approaches by agents trying to cut out his FO or if in his process Avila and maybe even Hinch would be pulled in before he ever made a decision over the head of the club management in the way his father appeared to have done on occasion.

I think Chris is a very cautious guy, which for a savvy businessman is a strength, from the standpoint of making reliable profits.

He seems to lack his dad's killer instinct, unpredictability, panache.  That's OK, and I think it will make AA sleep better at night, and it will avoid some pitfalls for the Tigers.....

....but I also think it will make Chris miss some opportunities to make good profits **and** build a better team on the field....it might mean that this team never really gets over the hump.  Time will tell.

16 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Correa may turn into one of those guys that is more productive in his 30's than in his 20's.  

It would be nice to see him stay healthy for a couple of years in a row.

I have a feeling that whoever gets him will be disappointed in the end, mostly due to not being on the field enough.

Because of this I'm ok with no big long term deals.  As a fan I'm tired of dead weight on this team.  I'd hate to think we lose flexibility in the future with some great talent we develop or acquire because we have this anchor of bloated deals.   We are like a young family that went into debt and about to get out of it but with the low refi rates considering taking out another loan against the house to go to Hawaii and a couple of cruises.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, oblong said:

Because of this I'm ok with no big long term deals.  As a fan I'm tired of dead weight on this team.  I'd hate to think we lose flexibility in the future with some great talent we develop or acquire because we have this anchor of bloated deals.   We are like a young family that went into debt and about to get out of it but with the low refi rates considering taking out another loan against the house to go to Hawaii and a couple of cruises.

This. As much as Correa or Seager would be great additions now, we're looking at huge monetary commitments toward the end of those deals comparable to the current situation with Miggy.

Cabrera was 30+ and fat when he signed his big deal and his contract still had two years to go, so it was unnecessary.  Few wanted to say it at the time because they loved Cabrera, but that was a terrible contract and probably solely an ilitch signing.  Signing Correa or Seager to a ten year deal would be risky, but not comparable to Cabrera.    

30 minutes ago, oblong said:

any team that spends money on free agents is bound to have some dead weight by virtue of performance, health, or luck variation. The Rays once signed Pat Burrell as a FA and he tanked. The Yankees have a lot of dead weight.

The Reds screwed themselves by signing too many high risk guys and now they are trying to reset.

But the idea that Miggy's contract is some sort of impediment to spending is a red herring IMO

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Seager has not been durable at all so far.  

It's a bit of a toss-up, but I think Seager's injuries were either mild/one-and-done (the hammy in 2019), or have been corrected (UCL in 2018), or were incidental and healed (broken hand on pitched ball, 2021).

Correa's injuries have been more worrisome (the back, especially at such a young age) or just strange (the neck and massage injuries a couple of years ago).  He appears to have learned from his on-field injuries relative to sliding, so there is that.

Of course, I defer to those with experience/expertise in the area of sports health.  I can only spitball at these things as as fan.