2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Tony Paul of the Detroit News put out his list for top FAs and his predictions. He has the Tigers signing Correa, Verlander,  Carlos Rodon and Andrew Miller. 

I'm gonna be disappointed when we inevitably only sign a couple third tier pitchers and trade assets for somebody's backup ss.

At least they traded for a catcher with a hot wife.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

I’m going to have to figure out how to get World Series tickets. 

If they signed all these players I would hope so.  A few teams have proven lately a stacked line up  doesn't equal success.  The 84 team has a lot of good players but not a lot of great ones. They were able to play well together.  Thats more important than a team full of all stars in my opinion

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Archie said:

If they signed all these players I would hope so.  A few teams have proven lately a stacked line up  doesn't equal success.  The 84 team has a lot of good players but not a lot of great ones. They were able to play well together.  Thats more important than a team full of all stars in my opinion

They played well together in 84, but what happened in 85 and 86?  As much as I loved that team, I am not sure they got the most out of their talent.  Part of it was cheap ownership not always wanting add final pieces and also not keeping some of their best players at the end.  .  

Edited by Tiger337

23 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

They played well together in 84, but what happened in 85 and 86?  As much as I loved that team, I am not sure they got the most out of their talent.  Part of it was cheap ownership not always wanting add final pieces and also not keeping some of their best players at the end.  .  

In 85 there was not that much turnover, that came later, but Career years from Petry, Wilcox, Hernandez, Lopez and even Juan Berenguer in 84. One Walt Terrell didn't close the pitching gap in 85 which was 45 more runs allowed. On the other side, they scored a hundred less - down years from Trammell. Johnson gone. Lemon and Herndon less productive in 85. Evans had a big year in '85 but he was about the only one to have a better 85 than 84. 9 regulars in 84 at OPS+ of 99 or more. Only 5 in '85

On 11/12/2021 at 4:55 PM, RandyMarsh said:

Tony Paul of the Detroit News put out his list for top FAs and his predictions. He has the Tigers signing Correa, Verlander,  Carlos Rodon and Andrew Miller. 

I'm gonna be disappointed when we inevitably only sign a couple third tier pitchers and trade assets for somebody's backup ss.

I think Andrew Miller is washed up. Wouldn’t even consider him. Rodon did not record an out beyond the sixth inning from July 15 to the end of the season. In fact, I believe there are questions regarding his physical condition. Wouldn’t consider him either.

Scherzer is the best SP out there. Al should have a conversation to find out what it would take for a deal. Max is the real thing. I know he’s a pipe dream of sorts but at least inquire. He and the Big 3 would be a very formidable rotation (possibly dominant) and maybe Wentz rounds it out. 

I’d be very cautious on signing Correa. He’ll want the keys to the bank for a lengthy deal. Al says they’re taking a “comprehensive” approach here. BS or not, I do agree with the language. 

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

In 85 there was not that much turnover, that came later, but Career years from Petry, Wilcox, Hernandez, Lopez and even Juan Berenguer in 84. One Walt Terrell didn't close the pitching gap in 85 which was 45 more runs allowed. On the other side, they scored a hundred less - down years from Trammell. Johnson gone. Lemon and Herndon less productive in 85. Evans had a big year in '85 but he was about the only one to have a better 85 than 84. 9 regulars in 84 at OPS+ of 99 or more. Only 5 in '85

Right, 85 and 86 had nothing to do with players leaving.  That came at the end of the decade, but they didn't add anybody either.    Still, it was disappointing that they couldn't even win 90 games in 85, 86.  Going from 104 wins to 84 in one year was a lot.  

12 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I think Andrew Miller is washed up. Wouldn’t even consider him. Rodon did not record an out beyond the sixth inning from July 15 to the end of the season. In fact, I believe there are questions regarding his physical condition. Wouldn’t consider him either.

Scherzer is the best SP out there. Al should have a conversation to find out what it would take for a deal. Max is the real thing. I know he’s a pipe dream of sorts but at least inquire. He and the Big 3 would be a very formidable rotation (possibly dominant) and maybe Wentz rounds it out. 

I’d be very cautious on signing Correa. He’ll want the keys to the bank for a lengthy deal. Al says they’re taking a “comprehensive” approach here. BS or not, I do agree with the language. 

I doubt they pay anyone 300M either - I wouldn't. I don't know how good Petzold's sources or research is, but he predicted less than 200 million for all the SS except Seager and Correa. I can easily see the Tigers going 6/126 (Petzold's prediction) for Story if he can really be had for that.

Edited by gehringer_2

Trevor Story turns 29 Monday. At that age I’d be OK with a six year deal if the money is right. Brandon Crawford just had an outstanding year at 34 years of age. 
Al is probably having some sleepless nights these days. The ball is now in his court. There is zero reason for this team not to compete for the division title in 2022…barring a shutdown.

On 11/12/2021 at 3:55 PM, RandyMarsh said:

You know what they say... if you can't beat em, sign em lol

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I doubt they pay anyone 300M either - I wouldn't. I don't know how good Petzold's sources or research is, but he predicted less than 200 million for all the SS except Seager and Correa. I can easily see the Tigers going 6/126 (Petzold's prediction) for Story if he can really be had for that.

I think those numbers are woefully under. 

Too many people think $20 million is the big threshold. 12 players last year made more than $30 million. 33 different players, including guys like Charlie Morton, made at least $20 million. Heck guys are getting $18 milliion in arbitration. 

Story made $18.5 million last year. He is a good age, plays Short and is a free agent. I'd love to get him for a 2 million raise, but I'd be shocked if it happens. 

Then you got some big makets saying hey we're gonna spend. None of that seems to indicate a bunch of $18 AAV deals. 

Correra will get something like 300 million with opt outs on both sides (like a mutual option that become a player option after four years if he pays in an average of like 80 games). Seagar will approach 300 million. Story and Seimien will both be around the 225 range. 

Edited by KL2

The salaries are going to be what the salaries are going to be.  I've never understood why fans get so wrapped up in that.  I remember when fans were outraged by players making a million dollars to play baseball.  Then 5 million.  Then 10 million and so on.  The salaries keep going up and up and baseball keeps making money and the teams that spend the most tend to have more success..  It's between the owners and players.  Maybe they'll blow it up this winter and we'll have a system with a hard salary cap which is difficult to avoid.  I doubt it.  

25 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

The salaries are going to be what the salaries are going to be.  I've never understood why fans get so wrapped up in that.  I remember when fans were outraged by players making a million dollars to play baseball.  Then 5 million.  Then 10 million and so on.  The salaries keep going up and up and baseball keeps making money and the teams that spend the most tend to have more success..  It's between the owners and players.  Maybe they'll blow it up this winter and we'll have a system with a hard salary cap which is difficult to avoid.  I doubt it.  

If a salary cap is part of the owners' deal then there will be no baseball.