2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I've had more than I care to admit and $5 is good value. You can't even get a frozen pizza for that amount. 

I hate to agree but I do. It feels like a bad deal if your expecting anything other than crummy pizza which is what you're really paying for.

If it was overpriced they wouldn't be in business. The demographic it is aimed at isn't your regular pizza connoisseur, it's for your family on a budget or parents that need a quick meal for their kids/family. The kids probably have no problem eating it and it feeds a family of 4 for $5 which is hardly overpriced. 

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

that's fair - I guess the counter argue is that it's somewhat impossible to know if you've signed the wrong player because what does in most players on long deals is injury and those are unpredictable. We probably would have had no complaints even about Cabrera's contract if he had had Nelson Cruz's health and he had been chasing his 600th HR this year instead. So maybe it's just safe to assume a certain percentage of your long term deals will go South no matter who you sign, and that becomes an argument for at least limiting your exposure with them. Or try offering a premium for taking fewer years - but I don't know how many players that would temp.

I think it was easy to predict that a big guy like Cabrera would have injuries in his 30s.  Cruz's health is more the exception than the rule.  I know why they signed him, but the contract was always going to be too long.  

4 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

I would like them to get a real first baseman instead of moving Schoop there and using Willi Castro/Isaac Paredes at 2B.  I know that they are keeping the spot open for Torkelson, but they shouldn't be relying on him to contribute this year.  I hate giving a prospect a starting job when he has proven nothing at the ML level.  

I'm comfortable with thinking Torkelson is the exception to the rule.

5 minutes ago, Archie said:

MLBTraderumors.com is reporting the Tigers are interested in extending Tucker Barnhart's contract. Seems a little premature???

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/11/tigers-interested-in-extension-with-tucker-barnhart.html

IDK - not so much. He's a left hand hitting catcher. Even if all goes perfectly well with Jake (or Dingler) having a L/R catching combo is an ideal situation. Nobody gets overworked and since Jake and/or  Dingler aren't too expensive it may not bother them to spend a little on Barnhardt's side of the platoon.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

I wonder if Al is on a strict spending allowance this off season. He seems to be trying to cut some corners to have more monopoly $$. Save 2 mil on EROD, cut Boyd, Goodrum etc and maybe get Barnhardt down from 8 to 6 million by spreading out a 3 year deal. It could add up to nice bullpen arm or outfield depth. 

And if he did have say 30 million left to spend is it better to get Correa or Story over 10 years or say Chris Taylor AND Jon Gray  over 5 ?

1 hour ago, Shinzaki said:

I can walk into Little Caesar's knowing I will soon be leaving with a hot pizza that will cost me $5. Is it a great pizza...no.  It's not horrible either and I will have enough left over for lunch the next day.  I have no complaints...

your first point is what differentiates LC pizza--it's the only pizza that you can walk in without having to order.  They could likely charge $1-2 more, and it would not harm their business.  Americans like convenience.

On 11/11/2021 at 10:23 PM, sabretooth said:

... Any examples of your Model 2?

Without doing a deep-dive...

And, oddly enough: The New York Yankees come closest (so far) to Model #2. Finishing 4th or worse for 6 seasons in a row, ending with 1 World Series Championship at the end of these 10 years. Oddly enough, they had a 51% winning % over these 10 years, but I'll take the 6 straight 4th or worse finishes, and a 4 year spree averaging 90 losses, to squeeze into this definition:

CRAPPY, 1 world series, and then DOMINANT:    

NY Yankees 1987-1996 Crap Decade   791   760 51% 1 World Series Win, six 4th or worse finishes in a row

Led to:

1997-2006 DOMINANT   987   629  61% 3 More World Series Wins