2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

3 minutes ago, romad1 said:

47?

That looks like a ranking of Metropolitan Areas by per capita income. 

Detroit is the 14th ranked media market but doesn’t take areas like Grand Rapids, Lansing and Toledo (among others) into consideration.

I would imagine that other MLB markets have similar drawbacks…

1 minute ago, CMRivdogs said:

That looks like a ranking of Metropolitan Areas by per capita income. 

Detroit is the 14th ranked media market but doesn’t take areas like Grand Rapids, Lansing and Toledo (among others) into consideration.

I would imagine that other MLB markets have similar drawbacks…

Yes, Detroit's media market is the entire Lower Peninsula + Toledo and some of Indiana.  Its not huge.  Its a step below New England in revenue but not a joke.   The team didn't lose money during 2006-2016 good years. 

9 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Yes, Detroit's media market is the entire Lower Peninsula + Toledo and some of Indiana.  Its not huge.  Its a step below New England in revenue but not a joke.   The team didn't lose money during 2006-2016 good years. 

Between the local and national contracts I don’t think any teams are heading for the poor house yet.

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Is not signing early from a player or team viewpoint?  There have been reports of lots of teams pursuing the top free agents right now.  Of course, that could come from agents.  

To me, the bigger deal is the service time. Teams hold players back just to delay their free agent status. Make it a set age and we may see talent reaching MLB at a younger age. And I also heard rumors that no more losing draft picks for signing free agents?

The Correa contract might be held up while the team finalizes an extension for AJ Hinch.    I would imagine if they do get Correa, his relationship with Hinch would be a major reason why, and they'd want to avoid Hinch having that out clause after 2022 and committing 4 or 5 years to him.  That could be part of a hold up too, if at deal is indeed already done.  

10 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

To me, the bigger deal is the service time. Teams hold players back just to delay their free agent status. Make it a set age and we may see talent reaching MLB at a younger age. And I also heard rumors that no more losing draft picks for signing free agents?

I have been assuming that draft pick compensation will follow the old rules for this group of free agents regardless of whether they sign before or after an agreement is reached.  Is this correct?   Payroll constraints are a different story.  

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

Back to Tork and his service clock, didn't the Angels miss a possible playoff berth by monkeying around with Trout's service time?  

I believe so. The Cubs also missed out on potentially winning the division by delaying Kris Bryant, but they were fortunate enough to atleast make the 1 game playoff. 

I believe there were a couple other similar situations in recent memory as well. 

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

NBA got a cap on contract length years ago and then recently got another one pushed through.

does not sound like that is a core MLB issue, but possible that they ask for a 8 year cap which would impact Seagar and Correa if they don't sign pre-lock out

MLBPA would never allow it. 

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

and there is no good measure for "we think that part of this area roots for teams." SO you gotta go by media market median income. 

But, if you read my post you would note that I admitted that was stupid measure for a host of reasons, including the one you're discussing. 

33 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I believe so. The Cubs also missed out on potentially winning the division by delaying Kris Bryant, but they were fortunate enough to atleast make the 1 game playoff. 

I believe there were a couple other similar situations in recent memory as well. 

But again just conjucture. There is no guarentee that TEam X wins that game with Player Y. Player Y might have gone 0-4 and they would have lost by 2 instead of 1 

10 minutes ago, KL2 said:

But again just conjucture. There is no guarentee that TEam X wins that game with Player Y. Player Y might have gone 0-4 and they would have lost by 2 instead of 1 

I appreciate that, but if you leave your best player behind and have a losing record until he gets there, you are setting yourself up for a lot of criticism.  I want Tork there opening day unless he goes 0 for Florida.

1 minute ago, Jim Cowan said:

I appreciate that, but if you leave your best player behind and have a losing record until he gets there, you are setting yourself up for a lot of criticism.  I want Tork there opening day unless he goes 0 for Florida.

Tork and Greene are not going to get any better facing still more AAA and AAAA pitching. Both have demonstrated an ability to adapt to increasing challenge and that additional challenge is only available in the majors. The future is now. Vincere vel mori!

7 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Tork and Greene are not going to get any better facing still more AAA and AAAA pitching. Both have demonstrated an ability to adapt to increasing challenge and that additional challenge is only available in the majors. The future is now. Vincere vel mori!

Tork Did struggle a AAA

4 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Absolutely.  Here's something you know for sure, if Harold is on the team Hinch will use him at first base.

It's not so much Tork over Harold. Cause everybody chooses that. 

It's more is it OK to play Harold for one month, when teams can usually make up for a bad player, with everybody healthy and a nother year of control for the young player. Or is wins in that month that important.

And as we said even if you call up the rookie -- hardly the best player on you team - its no guarentee that you'll win that game or that your rookie won't struggle in it. 

I get that its never an easy decision and you can't always play the short game. To me, with us now, I'd rather just let Tork stay that extra month, get the year and punt a game or so this year when the goal is really just .500

If you're looking to make the playoffs next season, you probably don't insert both Greene and Tork into the lineup at the start of the season.  However, I don't think we're a playoff contender, so I'm not concerned with that.  If the Tigers staff thinks he is ready, so be it. If not, we will have a contingency at 1B (Schoop) until he is.

The idea of both of these guys coming in and putting up monster rookie seasons, a la Fred Lynn and Jim Rice, is pretty enticing.  And feasible.

If the goal really is just .500 then I can understand sitting him for the month but assuming we make a splash and sign one of the top SS I believe the Tigers expect to contend for the playoffs.

In that case I feel they need to put the best possible team out from day 1 cause they are going to need every win they can get and I think Tork at 1st, Schoop at 2nd and one of the Castros on the bench is the best team they can put out. Will it equate to wins? Who knows,  Tork very well may struggle but all you can do is give yourself the best chance to win and field the best team and like I said I think the lineup with Tork is just that. 

Of course this can change if they sign a decent stop gap 1B that is capable of putting up plus offense and allowing Schoop to stay at 2nd but I'm skeptical they are going to do that. 

We were above .500 for the majority of last season, without Barnhart, Rodriguez, stud FA SS and Greene.  Those are all additions, without losing anyone of significance.  Add in another year of experience under the belt of Mize, Skubal, Manning, Funk, Baddoo, Hill, Cameron and Haase.  

Just because we might not put Tork in the majors right away doesn't mean they won't be trying (or can't) win.

Edited by Tenacious D