2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

5 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

that's a lot of additional pressure on Greene and Tork right out of the gate, but not crazy to think they could get it done. maybe start with this.

Grossman (S)

Candy (S)

Correra (R)

Miggy (R)

Greene (L)

Schoop (R)

Tork (R)

Barnhart (L) / Haase (R)

Baddoo (L) / Hill (R)

that's a good lineup.  (3) high OBP guys at the top of the lineup (vs. Schoop).

10 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

that's a lot of additional pressure on Greene and Tork right out of the gate, but not crazy to think they could get it done. maybe start with this.

Grossman (S)

Candy (S)

Correra (R)

Miggy (R)

Greene (L)

Schoop (R)

Tork (R)

Barnhart (L) / Haase (R)

Baddoo (L) / Hill (R)

I like it.  I would swap Candy and Correa, tho

22 minutes ago, casimir said:

Goodrum is gone?  I hope the Tigers have plans to find a SS.

I think they do.  There are several people saying there is one already signed and they're waiting to announce.  I don't know how true that is but I think they have who they want in their sights and they are going for him.

4 minutes ago, Archie said:

I think they do.  There are several people saying there is one already signed and they're waiting to announce.  I don't know how true that is but I think they have who they want in their sights and they are going for him.

Who knows, maybe AJ and Carlos both just share a love for a good breakfast?

The "Guardians"...how much did the popularity of the Guardians of the Galaxy and the MCU play into the choice of that name?  They would join the Anaheim  Ducks (ne Mighty Ducks of Anaheim) and the Toronto Raptors (Jurassic Park) as teams with names influenced by popular cinema.

The next expansion team should be called the Baseball Furies..but MLB may not be good with all the make up

12 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

The "Guardians"...how much did the popularity of the Guardians of the Galaxy and the MCU play into the choice of that name?  They would join the Anaheim  Ducks (ne Mighty Ducks of Anaheim) and the Toronto Raptors (Jurassic Park) as teams with names influenced by popular cinema.

The next expansion team should be called the Baseball Furies..but MLB may not be good with all the make up

To be fair, Disney owned the team when they were the Mighty Ducks, so it make a little sense since they also made the movies. 

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Goodrum is gone?  I hope the Tigers have plans to find a SS.

I think Niko sealed his fate with the Tiger org when he declined to make a serious attempt to change his LH approach. When your team comes to you and says "you need to do better at 'X' " and you opine in the press that you think you are just fine at doing 'X', (and despite a terrible OPS at doing 'X' ) you probably haven't done the optimum thing to enhance your career prospects.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shinzaki said:

Guardians is actually a Cleveland thing.

1 hour ago, Shinzaki said:

They say they picked that name out of homage to statues near Progressive Field that have been known as "The Guardians of Traffic" since their inception. Atleast that's the reason they give anyway. 

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Niko gone; N Rodriguez, Robson off 40, down to Toledo; Clemens, DeJesus up to 40.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/11/niko-goodrum-elects-free-agency-tigers.html

What does this mean to Goodrum in terms of his arb? Is any team who signs him obligated to go to arb with him? Or can they avoid that by signing him to a minor league contract, and if he does and makes the team out of Arizona, can they pay him major league minimum and what happens to his arb clock?

18 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I never understood switch hitters like Niko that are so terrible from one side of the plate yet they still stick with it. I mean could he possibly have been worse if he just batted right handed against righties?

I've put that question to my Television countless times....

..🤷‍♂️

33 minutes ago, chasfh said:

What does this mean to Goodrum in terms of his arb? Is any team who signs him obligated to go to arb with him? Or can they avoid that by signing him to a minor league contract, and if he does and makes the team out of Arizona, can they pay him major league minimum and what happens to his arb clock?

Technically he is DFA correct? That means anyone can pick him up off waivers and I assume if they do they get his arb status. But if no-one does I suppose he's a FA.  --- Reading an update from Beck just now he did indeed clear waivers and he is a free agent. In Niko's case that means he will probably be looking at a minor league contract offer with a maybe ST invite.

Edited by gehringer_2