2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

20 minutes ago, chasfh said:

We don't have anything remotely like that, which is why I didn't bother offering it up as a contingency.

Was is Cristian Santana that is supposedly such a hot SS prospect that they had literally been hiding him in the Dominican for the last couple of years before they signed him this summer? At 17 he might not be ready until that guy we sign for 6 yrs goes back to FA!

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Was is Cristian Santana that is supposedly such a hot SS prospect that they had literally been hiding him in the Dominican for the last couple of years before they signed him this summer? At 17 he might not be ready until that guy we sign for 6 yrs goes back to FA!

That was a different teenager we hid—Roberto Campos

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

It's understandable that people be concerned about Story's Coors/road split, but FWIW, I have seen articles with research concluding that once a hitter leaves the Rockies, his home-road splits stabilize some and his overall performance is not as bad as his road splits as a Rockie (Rocky?) would suggest they would be.

Which makes sense to me: as a Rockie, you play half your games in this extreme environment and half outside it. But even more crucially, throughout the season, you will play a string of games in the most extreme environment, then go play a string of games in non-extreme environments, and basically as soon as you figure out how to adjust to that, you're right back home in the extreme environment. But once you move to another team, your home and road environments are likely to be similar or even alike, so you don't have to go through constant back-and-forth adjustments all season long. This specific environmental factor becomes a problem only once you go to Denver as a visitor, and as a Tiger, that'll happen maybe, what, once in six years, tops?

So the Coors Effect, such as it is, shouldn't be a problem at all if we sign him.

Yes, I saw this same thing a couple of years ago.  I have relied on this for my thinking about Story's likely strong performance as a hitter post-Coors.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Six years is an entire generation from now. And at age 23 he still might not be ready! So I would characterize that as “remote”.

Edited by chasfh

2 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Yes, I saw this same thing a couple of years ago.  I have relied on this for my thinking about Story's likely strong performance as a hitter post-Coors.

Yeah after hearing you and Chas post this stuff it has made me change my stance on Story.

I always knew pitches broke differently in Colorado but I never thought about how that would negatively effect their hitting on the road,instead I just had the mindset that them struggling on the road proves they can't hit pitches when they break normally. 

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Don't like the phrasing of "ultimately", that comes across as down the road instead of being this right away. 

Realistically, the earliest they compete for a World Series is probably 2023, and Chris' comments may be a reflection of that.

Overall, Chris' comment about providing Al/AJ the resources they think they need is a more aggressive posture than I can ever remember him taking. But now he needs to back it up.... 

Edited by mtutiger

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Realistically, the earliest they compete for a World Series is probably 2023, and Chris' comments may be a reflection of that.

Overall, Chris' comment about providing Al/AJ the resources they think they need is a more aggressive posture than I can ever remember him taking. But now he needs to back it up.... 

I can see how someone could interpret "ultimately" as feeling like "many years from now" versus "a couple years from now".

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I"m not sure "realistically compete for a WS" would be how I would capture it. I think you 'realistically' get good enough to be a consistent 95 game team that pretty much guarantees you get into the playoffs without needing luck or other teams to cooperate, but as has been proved time and time again, if all you do manage to do is luck into the playoff  at a barely over 500 pace, you still have a perfectly  'realistic' chance to win a WS. 

Edited by gehringer_2

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Don't like the phrasing of "ultimately", that comes across as down the road instead of being this right away. 

Translation:  "I am just telling you what you want to hear with nothing concrete to back it up."  

Like the Bears ownership saying "We have no plans to dismiss Matt Nagy as Head Coach"

Alex Wood was a guy I wanted.

After signing Eduardo though...

I'm looking for a short-term signing to fill in at the back end... So I'm still not interested in Matz; who will get too many years and too much $$$. What.. he's going to take a rotation spot from Spencer Turnbull in 2023? 

I'm not on board.

Give me Collin McHugh for 2 years, throws gas, keeps runners off the bases with a career 1.23 WHIP, and can operate either out of the BP or as a starter, similar to Alexander. 

McHugh can spot start/ 5th starter, or flip to the BP, as needed.

But that's just me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Matz? for basically same money as Matz, you could get Gray, who has some upside.

4 more pitchers gone: Giants have resigned Wood, Desclafani and grabbed Cobb from LAA. Aaron Loop got 2/17M from LAA with option.

I was a big fan of the Matz.  I like that they got to re-do the Don't Tell A Soul album the way the originally wanted to do it back in 1988.   It brings out the rough edges the band is known for.   They were really good songs, just a bit to polished.