2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

18 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I did state before that if we end up with Baez, I'll live with it.

And I'll be happy for the huge upgrade.

But also, definitely disappointed that we didn't end up with better. Because 4 better SS options are available.

But that's just me.

And I would be very disappointed ending up with Baez.

You will do more than just "live with" Baez. You will love the guy. You will not be disappointed. I guarantee that.

15 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Why? If he gets hurt?  Chances are he will again in his career, but there is zero evidence that’s certain.  He has the same chance any other player has.

"Certainty" is a super high bar. Actually, too high.

By dint of his multiple IL stints, it's fair to consider Carlos Correa to be more injury-prone than other players of similar career length who have not been. This may be especially true for Correa since two of his IL stints involved his back, a notoriously wonky and unpredictable part of the body as far as injury is concerned.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

this. These are all very good ball players, all capable of putting up 5-6 WAR seasons. The last SSs we had that gave us a 6 WAR season were Trammell (6 times)  Guillen (once)  and we averaged 92 wins when they did.

Give me any one of the five, and give him to me NOW!

And give me Jon Gray and I'm good.

23 minutes ago, chasfh said:

"Certainty" is a super high bar. Actually, too high.

By dint of his multiple IL stints, it's fair to consider Carlos Correa to be more injury-prone than other players of similar career length who have not been. This may be especially true for Correa since two of his IL stints involved his back, a notoriously wonky and unpredictable part of the body as far as injury is concerned.

The longer this sweepstakes goes on and the finer the lens we start looking at all these guys with, the less I will be surprised if Correa does not get the biggest deal. I'd still give him the odds, but I think they are down form where they started.

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The longer this sweepstakes goes on and the finer the lens we start looking at all these guys with, the less I will be surprised if Correa does not get the biggest deal. I'd still give him the odds, but I think they are down form where they started.

Who do you think gets a bigger deal than he?

Edited by chasfh

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don't know if I agree. I think Seager has nearly the same injury concerns that Correa does, plus he doesn't have Correa's glove.

I'm just spitballing since you asked. I am the most casual of arm-chair GMs (:classic_cool:). It's mostly that as I look more closely at the other guys I see less daylight between them and the conventional wisdom's take that Correa is better than the rest. Since FOs are looking a lot closer than I am, I guess I assume that if a casual closer look makes me trend in one direction, that trend could be holding even at the data levels where the team operate.

Probably lots of action in Baseball before the freeze. As for us  will we sign a shortstop and what will happen with Boyd. I think at the end of the day the Dodgers will keep Seager,  the Yankees get Correa, Story signs with Texas, Semien a Giant and we end up with Baez. But I don't know anything and can only speculate.

14 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Probably lots of action in Baseball before the freeze. As for us  will we sign a shortstop and what will happen with Boyd. I think at the end of the day the Dodgers will keep Seager,  the Yankees get Correa, Story signs with Texas, Semien a Giant and we end up with Baez. But I don't know anything and can only speculate.

I keep hearing that the Mets want to resign Baez.  If that happens along with others that you listed the Tigers could be left looking at the trade market.  I still think the Tigers will come up with the money for Correa, Story or Semien and we might know this week if it happens before the lockout.

27 minutes ago, Archie said:

I keep hearing that the Mets want to resign Baez.  If that happens along with others that you listed the Tigers could be left looking at the trade market.  I still think the Tigers will come up with the money for Correa, Story or Semien and we might know this week if it happens before the lockout.

It is 1:55 Eastern Standard Time on Sunday, November 28, 2021.   We will know who our shortstop is 24 hours from now. 

And I, for one, would like to welcome our new starting shortstop Andrelton Simmons.   I'd like to remind him as a trusted radio personality I could be useful in rounding up others to toil in his underground sugar caves. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

It is 1:55 Eastern Standard Time on Sunday, November 28, 2021.   We will know who our shortstop is 24 hours from now. 

And I, for one, would like to welcome our new starting shortstop Andrelton Simmons.   I'd like to remind him as a trusted radio personality I could be useful in rounding up others to toil in his underground sugar caves. 

LOL - if they end up with Simmons, Kreidler better be an all-star by 2023.

12 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

He would save some runs, though.   If was their shortstop last year they might have had 2 or 3 more sins on the defense alone. 

I wanted them to go after Simmons when he was available in the past. If the Tigers had never committed in public to the '22 SS sweepstakes and had gone to ST with Barnhardt, Rodrizquez, Simmons and another good arm, I'd have to say I thought they had had a good off season. But they've set their own bar higher than that so now they need to clear it!

Simmons is actually the perfect guy if they really did have a prospect to try to break in. At 32+ he's probably going to be more successful not playing everyday.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, TheWordIsBird said:

This is a complete hunch, but I still think that the Rangers will throw a Lindor-esque offer at Correa in the next couple of days.  

I kind of suspect the Rangers will be in on Correa until the end.  I’m not sure that means the next couple of days.  I’m not really sure how the upcoming CBA affects him or the other top few FAs.  I suspect they will still get theirs and it’s the other FAs that might be looking to lock up whatever offers they might have.  But that’s just an uneducated guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

If they didn't get Correa I would be good with Simmons.  It would save them some money and they wouldn't be locked in for years.  Simmons would probably be a 1 or 2 year deal.  It would give them more money to spend on a SP for this year.