2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The idea may be that Semien's age depresses his yearly salary number.

My guess is that it sets the top of the market above 300m, but below Lindor 

It would be no surprise if the Yankees that set the top of the market, but once they are done, will anyone else follow? That last one or two guys may end up waiting it out till ST.

Edited by gehringer_2

10 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The idea may be that Semien's age depresses his yearly salary number.

My guess is that it sets the top of the market above 300m, but below Lindor 

i think he gets more than lindor.  its a year later and the prices always go up.  and he's arguably just as good or better than what lindor was.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, buddha said:

baez turned down $180 million from the cubs.  agents arent stupid, they know he'll get more than that.  he'll be in the $200 million area code.

Only if there are enough suitors.  Can’t remember an off season with 5 all-star caliber players at the same position (besides maybe OF) were available.  I just don’t see the market.

14 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think he gets more than lindor.  its a year later and the prices always go up.  and he's arguably just as good or better than what lindor was.

not necessarily. Sometimes you do get an outlier contract that other owners won't match for a while. Didn't it take quite some some for anyone to match ARods Rangers contract? I wouldn't bet on my memory here but I thought ARod's Ranger deal had remained MLB's largest right up until the Yankees extension to him.

the other 300M deals are Harper and Machado - those deals probably look better than Lindor's about now.

Edited by gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Only if there are enough suitors.  Can’t remember an off season with 5 all-star caliber players at the same position (besides maybe OF) were available.  I just don’t see the market.

This is what I keep coming back to.

Who is the team that's gonna pull the trigger? Not the Astros, who lowballed him in the first place. Not the Rangers, given that they have spent their bullet here. Maybe the Yanks or Dodgers? But if not them, who?

He gets the Lindor money if one of the 30 teams wants to give him Lindor money. We probably won't know who it is until it happens

Edited by mtutiger

47 minutes ago, buddha said:

Right.

43 minutes ago, buddha said:

baez turned down $180 million from the cubs.  agents arent stupid, they know he'll get more than that.  he'll be in the $200 million area code.

Wrong.

46 minutes ago, buddha said:

Lindor averaged about 156 games/ year 2016-2019 and played all 60 games scheduled in 2020.

Carlos Correa averaged 110. No matter how much his team argues... And I know he played 95% of his games last year and this year... but no matter how much his agents argue or how valid those arguments are, I think 2016-2019 gets held against him... 

IMO, he settles for over $300 mill but less than Lindor.

I'll guess it as a $320-$325 mill contract...

52 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It is interesting that players and teams seem to be rushing to make agreements before December 1.  Does that say anything about the CBA negotiations?  Maybe that they expect them to last a really long time?  

Probably not the Yankees, Dodgers, Mets, or anyone else up against the current luxury tax threshold. They’re probably gonna wait until the next CBA is done before they throw nine-figure contracts at players, since they don’t know whether a new luxury tax situation would hurt them for a signing they make before December 2.

Teams like the Tigers don’t have to worry about that, so they have a window open to move right now. So, come on, Tigers, move, gosh darn it!