2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

If that's all it's about for him, that he has to have more, then I am not sure he's the guy.    I mean, if you got paid 30 a year and Seagar got 32, that's not acceptable?    To me that doesn't scream "team guy".   How much is enough?  Ego guys like that don't really get the fanbase on their side should they struggle.         Or is it that he really doesn't want to come here and only will if he gets more than every other shortstop, then I am not sure I'd want him either.   He's good, but is he that good?    I want him to WANT to be here.   If that's not the case, go for Story or Baez.   

I don't have a problem with Correa doing what he has to do to maximize his value. That's just business.

But the Tigers are under no obligation to wait for him if they want to go in a different direction. And if that means going after Baez or Story, so be it. At the end of the day, they'd be a better team with either one of those signings, at a cost which may allow them to make additional adds.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

not advocating it, but if the Tigers decide to pivot and spend on an elite pitcher (vs. one of the elite SS), they might consider trading for an elite SS prospect. 

What sense does that make. Weaken your one decent area to find a shortstop who might be a complete bust when there are 9 available and you know what they are capable of and the only cost is money. 

1 hour ago, Archie said:

I can't see them trading Mize, Skubal or Manning.  They will find a SS but he might not be from the first tier group. I'm still waiting for the big signing today.  It would be a great day for them to announce Correa.

Especially since there’s no way to know which of those three could be Porcello or even Verlander, and which of them will be Kyle Sleeth or Kenny Baugh.

1 hour ago, djhutch said:

I'd be okay with Baez, but I'd prefer Story if we're not signing Correa.  I think it'll get done before the deadline on Wednesday, because I don't think Avila wants to wait to see what happens.  I wonder if Correa's agent wants him to wait it out?

maybe it's out there and we don't here it because it's not directed to the Tigers but Story seems to be the one guy there isn't much speculation about. Maybe his agent plays the game a little differently.

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

maybe it's out there and we don't here it because it's not directed to the Tigers but Story seems to be the one guy there isn't much speculation about. Maybe his agent plays the game a little differently.

If the reports about the Rangers interest in Seager/Story are accurate, he's probably another guy waiting to see what happens with Seager

1 hour ago, KL2 said:

What sense does that make. Weaken your one decent area to find a shortstop who might be a complete bust when there are 9 available and you know what they are capable of and the only cost is money. 

It's more reallocating.  Instead of having Manning and Correa, you will have Ray and another SS. 

I’m seriously beginning to wonder if Illitch has told Avila that his top line on spending is X and Al is toeing the company line by continuing to play the game publicly as if the checkbook is still in play. This whole charade may be beyond Al’s pay grade at this point. 

Theres still 4 out of the 5 SS left but we haven't been linked to Seager or Story at all, the rumors are Correa is out of our range so that just leaves Baez. 

Im really starting to get concerned were going to get shutout as it appears the Mets,  Mariners and others are in on Baez and they have shown that they will throw big money around.

Just now, RandyMarsh said:

Theres still 4 out of the 5 SS left but we haven't been linked to Seager or Story at all, the rumors are Correa is out of our range so that just leaves Baez. 

Im really starting to get concerned were going to get shutout as it appears the Mets,  Mariners and others are in on Baez and they have shown that they will throw big money around.

One of the beat writers reported that they had been in contact with all five of the SS candidates.

I haven't seen the Mariners tied to Baez.

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

One of the beat writers reported that they had been in contact with all five of the SS candidates.

I haven't seen the Mariners tied to Baez.

I didn't see that. Passan mentioned Baez and the Ms, saying something like "After signing Ray the Mariners don't appear to be done, they are hot on the trail of Bryant and Baez."