2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I know people would like to use the Baez savings on another rotation piece, but I wouldn't mind seeing them pick up a premier backend bullpen arm, either instead or as well. Thinking maybe McHugh, Knebel, Tepera, or as someone mentioned earlier, maybe Chafin. Or, if we really want to make a splash, how about going to the top of that market for Raisel Iglesias? I could be talked into 3/30 for that guy.

I know we have Soto and Cisnero at the back of the pen now, and they were probably good enough for a 77-win team. But are those the guys we would want to come in late in a game well into October? Especially if they're gonna walk one out of every seven or eight guys they face?

I'm thinking, if we were to make a move like this to lock down the back of that pen, then I'd know that this organization is serious about 2022.

Cisnero is bit of a wild card. It's hard to have much trust in guys who have given you one year of good control after a career spent walking >5/9 ( yeah - we see you too Kyle.....).

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

I would have canned Al long ago - drafting, trading (ugh), and free agency fails abounded

but boy has he been doing a good job for the last few years

total reversal of outcomes

Not to take anything away from Al, but the team he has surrounded himself with has improved dramatically over the course of his tenure. Not just Hinch, but Sartori and others as well.

It seems Christmas this year came early. Very nice to sit at my desk and open up MLB Trade Rumors and have "Tigers sign Baez" on the headline. I am 100 % happy with this hire. I think it will be the best value of all the 5 shortstops and a potential steal if his OBP ticks up just a little. It's the safest bet considering Correas back, Segers injury rate and defense , Semien's age and Story's arm issue. We need to have shortstop who plays great defense and contributes to the offense and most importantly for the $$ is on the field. Baez more than fits the bill. Plus he is certainly the most entertaining to watch.Best of all we can now contend next year !!! We are relevant again 😀

Congratulations to Al Avilia. I was worried but he "got er done".

51 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Who knows what Correa is going to get - maybe the moon, or OTOH for all we know at this point Texas may have been bidding against themselves for Seager, but we got our guy at less than 200M (or so it seems) so the Semien contract wasn't too bad an indicator there.

i'm surprised.  i thought baez would get a lot more.

as dubious as i am about baez moving forward, that's a good deal for what he was thinking of getting.

he's going to be the most polarizing tiger on the team.

7 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Not to take anything away from Al, but the team he has surrounded himself with has improved dramatically over the course of his tenure. Not just Hinch, but Sartori and others as well.

I don't think it takes anything away from a manager to accuse him of assembling a strong staff. :classic_cool:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SoCalTiger said:

It seems Christmas this year came early. Very nice to sit at my desk and open up MLB Trade Rumors and have "Tigers sign Baez" on the headline. I am 100 % happy with this hire. I think it will be the best value of all the 5 shortstops and a potential steal if his OBP ticks up just a little. It's the safest bet considering Correas back, Segers injury rate and defense , Semien's age and Story's arm issue. We need to have shortstop who plays great defense and contributes to the offense and most importantly for the $$ is on the field. Baez more than fits the bill. Plus he is certainly the most entertaining to watch.Best of all we can now contend next year !!! We are relevant again 😀

Congratulations to Al Avilia. I was worried but he "got er done".

For the record, I broke this news before MLB Trade Rumors.  That’s how dedicated I am to all of you.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I watched this guy live and in person for seven years, so I know his warts, too. Like I say, there will be times we are frustrated with him. But when he's going good, he's as good as anyone, and there is not a player who is more fun to watch in baseball today. I would watch him play and wonder: is this what pre-Jackie Negro Leagues baseball was like?

Schoop is a streaky hitter as well. Maybe Baez and Schoop can alternate their hot streaks. Would give the lineup at least one dangerous hitter most of the time. 

2 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

Schoop is a streaky hitter as well. Maybe Baez and Schoop can alternate their hot streaks. Would give the lineup at least one dangerous hitter most of the time. 

I posted somewhere waaaay up thread that I saw a scouting report from 2018 that rated Schoop and Baez as the two fastest DP turns in the majors. I'm hoping to see a lot fewer DPs missed by half a step - assuming Hinch will leave Schoop at 2B. (and of course hopefully Torkelson takes care of that issue...)

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't think it takes anything away from a manager to accuse him of assembling a strong staff. :classic_cool:

My memory of DD is pretty hazy at this point, but I get the impression that he's a lot more top-down than AA is.

One takeaway from the first couple of big signings this offseason (along with Schoop's signing as well) is that Al seems pretty good at using incentives in order to get a better deal. I would imagine that part of how they got ERod and Baez at the prices they did was because of the flexibility afforded by giving them opt-outs.

It contrasts well with the blunt-force approach by the Rangers.... lol

Edited by mtutiger

Just now, Tigermojo said:

I'd like to see another starter signed. A reliever or two would be nice. How about extending Candelario for the next few years? The Baez contract certainly allows more flexibility to add more players.

Another starter and a reliever would be cap an excellent offseason. 

With the starter, it doesn't have to be Stroman or Rodon (although they'd be nice), but they do need to add some depth. They had too many bullpen games last season, would rather not see a repeat of that.

8 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

Interestingly, B-ref has Schoop as Baez's closest comparison.  Looking at the numbers, they are very close offensively.  Baez is a shortstop which gives him more value.  He also has the tools to get better if someone can get through to him.  That seems unlikely at this point, but not impossible at his age.  

I don't think spending a lot of money on a reliever would be wise.  There is too much variation from year to year with relievers and other teams have built good pens without spending money.    Get some good cheap arms that didn't work out elsewhere and get the coaching staff to work with them.  They could use another starter and another outfielder.  I am really not expecting another really big signing at this point though. 

Just now, Tiger337 said:

I don't think spending a lot of money on a reliever would be wise.  There is too much variation from year to year with relievers and other teams have built good pens without spending money.    Get some good cheap arms that didn't work out elsewhere and get the coaching staff to work with them.  They could use another starter and another outfielder.  I am really not expecting another really big signing at this point though. 

I would endorse this - IF the tigers actually ever hit on a guy, but they haven't outside of Wily Peralta

instead of $20M for Urena, Tehern, Matt Moore, Ross, Holland, Nova they could have had a real contributor 

4 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

I would endorse this - IF the tigers actually ever hit on a guy, but they haven't outside of Wily Peralta

instead of $20M for Urena, Tehern, Matt Moore, Ross, Holland, Nova they could have had a real contributor 

I would love to see them get another good starter in free agency.  I don't think they should spend a lot on relievers.  

9 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Yes the performance of each reliever seems to vary from year to year.  There was a guy about 20 years ago, Cliff Politte, that I remember thinking at the time that he was pretty steady and dependable, and could be used for multiple innings.  Looking back at the numbers now though, he had a couple of nice years but they weren't consecutive, and in many years his IP was less than his G.  I think the last guy that the Tigers had who could put out a fire in the 7th inning, consistently, was Shane Greene.  It was a role that suited him better thsn closer I think.

31 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

As polarizing as Brandon Inge?  

as polarizing as iglesias and castellanos.

people will complain about him dogging it and making mental errors when he screws up a play by trying to make a spectacular highlight play on a routine grounder, or just messing up a play because he isnt paying attention.

most cubs fans i know are like "good luck with that roller coaster."  

i expect 250/300/450.  i hope for 290/350/500.  he's got power and speed and defense, but he'll swing at everything.  he'll drive you nuts.