2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Wow, that's just absolutely nuts and if it's true and can be proven,  is that a lawsuit waiting to happen?  

I'm sure that'll help upcoming negotiations.  

Manfred has got to go................

MLB (mouthpiece for Manfred) is claiming there were two versions of baseballs due to production issues and availability. You have to appreciate the bullish!t these guys produce. I read that MLB owns Rawlings, the ball manufacturer. I didn’t realize that if that is true. How convenient. 

12 hours ago, 1776 said:

MLB (mouthpiece for Manfred) is claiming there were two versions of baseballs due to production issues and availability. You have to appreciate the bullish!t these guys produce. I read that MLB owns Rawlings, the ball manufacturer. I didn’t realize that if that is true. How convenient. 

Claiming lack of availability is reasonable in the era of COVID, since it does take manual labor to construct the balls. 

On the other hand, Baseball loves them some homers.

16 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Wojo - Detroit News November 30. 9th not 8th :

Defense is where the Tigers needed help for Casey Mize, Tarik Skubal, Matt Manning and newly acquired Rodriguez. A quick dive into advanced metrics, via Statcast, shows since 2018, Báez ranks ninth out of 4,053 players in defensive runs saved.

OK, since 2018.  That makes sense.  Most of that was in 2019, but it is still an impressive number.  

2 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I'm having a hard time seeing the Rangers as winners.  I think they are crazy.

I know, right? They won 60 games in 2021. Half a billion dollars gets them to, what, 68? Seventy? So where do they get the other 20 or so wins to contend for a playoff spot?

Edited by chasfh

2 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I'm having a hard time seeing the Rangers as winners.  I think they are crazy.

Rangers had a -190 run differential. Rangers had the 3rd worst ERA, 2nd fewest saves, fewest shutouts, 2nd fewest strike outs, 3rd worst ERA+, and 2nd worst FIP in the American League. They have added a career 107 ERA+ pitcher.

Meanwhile, in the field,  Kiner-Falefa was +9 Rdrs at short, while Nick Solak was -7 Rdrs at 2B. They totalled -16 batting runs. Seager and Semien totalled +9 Rdrs and 48 batting runs.

So with 75/yr million spent I figure they are still short of closing half the run differential to get to even.

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I know, right? They won 60 games in 2021. Half a billion dollars gets them to, what, 68? Seventy? So where do they get the other 20 or so wins to contend for a playoff spot?

To me they violated the 1st rule. They spent a lot of money to replace a position where one of their best players was already playing. Kiner-Falefa had the same WAR last year as Seager and was still arb eligible. Though TBF, Kiner_F probably goes to 3B so the comparison should be to Brock Holt, who was more like replacement level last season.

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

To me they violated the 1st rule. They spent a lot of money to replace a position where one of their best players was already playing. Kiner-Falefa had the same WAR last year as Seager and was still arb eligible. Though TBF, Kiner_F probably goes to 3B so the comparison should be to Brock Holt, who was more like replacement level last season.

Or should it be Seager to 3B and Kiner-Falefa remains at SS?

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Or should it be Seager to 3B and Kiner-Falefa remains at SS?

Pay half a billion for two SS and have them play 2nd and 3rd? It's not my team so works for me!

But something we know from watching Mike Ilitch at the end - there is a difference between signing bats and building a team.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Pay half a billion for two SS and have them play 2nd and 3rd? It's not my team so works for me!

But something we know from watching Mike Ilitch at the end - there is a difference between signing bats and building a team.

So, now this comment about Ilitch kind of strikes me.  Can we correlate this offseason to one of the Dombrowski offseasons?  It seems unlikely.  But this massive improvement in record that we saw in 2021, does it compare a bit to 2004?

I guess ultimately what I am trying to get to is will we find that, after the Tigers have gotten through the reboot, will we find that Al & Chris are better at building cohesive teams than Dave & Mike were?

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I really do wish the best for JaCoby, as long as it's not games vs. the Tigers.     He's an incredible athlete, if he ever does put it all together, he'd be a really good player. 

It just goes to show that hitting a baseball is a capability that transcends athleticism. Michael Jordan (and conversely, Rusty Staub) can testify.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

The Athletic has a round up remaining FAs; with Correa topping the list obviously. This would simply be too good to be true:

The best fit for Correa may still be Detroit, even after the Tigers splurged $140 million on Javier Báez. Báez can play second base, as he did next to his friend, Francisco Lindor, during the second half in New York. The presence of Jonathan Schoop should not preclude Detroit owner Chris Ilitch from taking a page out of the recent playbook authorized by Rangers owner Ray Davis. Texas remade its middle infield by dropping $500 million on Seager and Marcus Semien. Like Davis, Ilitch can afford the expenditure.

6 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

The Athletic has a round up remaining FAs; with Correa topping the list obviously. This would simply be too good to be true:

The best fit for Correa may still be Detroit, even after the Tigers splurged $140 million on Javier Báez. Báez can play second base, as he did next to his friend, Francisco Lindor, during the second half in New York. The presence of Jonathan Schoop should not preclude Detroit owner Chris Ilitch from taking a page out of the recent playbook authorized by Rangers owner Ray Davis. Texas remade its middle infield by dropping $500 million on Seager and Marcus Semien. Like Davis, Ilitch can afford the expenditure.

additional signings will be arms that throw from the mound.

• Like 2