2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

25 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

I don't remember where I heard this, but I heard the Tigers offered Correa a contract in the range of 8 years for 275 million, and Correa turned it down. After that, they turned to Baez as their backup plan.

All the focus on the money, when it was more about the years lol

I really can't blame them for not wanting to give Correa 10 years....

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

You think the labor thing is going to be solved by Christmas.    that is VERY optimistic.   I don't think there will be any major league moves until February or March at the earliest.  

I sense that the owners and the players have adopted a siege mentality. July 1 looks like it will be the 2022 opening day, assuming that there is a season.

It’s hard for me to figure out how unified the two sides are. As others have mentioned, the players are a large and varied group. The owners are much fewer, but do they all have the same commitment to a siege?

Can anything be read into the pre-lockout FA signings? Does Texas ownership want things resolved more quickly than, say, the Yankees? Does a team like the Padres feel they blew it last year and then are content to let 2022 fade away? What about the Tigers, they have to feel excited about an improved team? Or are most owners, Tigers included, willing to write off short term pain to exert their power?

Is there a mechanism to start talks or mediation? 

2 minutes ago, Dan Gilmore said:

It’s hard for me to figure out how unified the two sides are. As others have mentioned, the players are a large and varied group. The owners are much fewer, but do they all have the same commitment to a siege?

Can anything be read into the pre-lockout FA signings? Does Texas ownership want things resolved more quickly than, say, the Yankees? Does a team like the Padres feel they blew it last year and then are content to let 2022 fade away? What about the Tigers, they have to feel excited about an improved team? Or are most owners, Tigers included, willing to write off short term pain to exert their power?

Ahh, it will end up at the last minute like most labor negotiations, with the owners making some concessions, and the players acting like they conceded because they didn't get everything they demanded.

43 minutes ago, Dan Gilmore said:

If both sides agree that they have bargained to impasse,tThey could get an NLRB Arbitrator to decide. We are a very long way from that though.

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Wait a minute...  NLRB?  What about the ALRB?  

NLRB is the National Labor Relations Board. If either side were to make claims of an unfair labor practice, that could give them jurisdiction. They have the power to appoint an aribiter, and this will often happen to avoid delays in settlement. Their powers are very broad, and many remedies are placed in their hands by law.

I think that if there is any hope to a meaningful season this year, it will be the fruit of some kind of arbitration.

12 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

NLRB is the National Labor Relations Board. If either side were to make claims of an unfair labor practice, that could give them jurisdiction. They have the power to appoint an aribiter, and this will often happen to avoid delays in settlement. Their powers are very broad, and many remedies are placed in their hands by law.

I think that if there is any hope to a meaningful season this year, it will be the fruit of some kind of arbitration.

Nah, they’ll settle, the differences aren’t that extreme.

6 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Nah, they’ll settle, the differences aren’t that extreme.

The players want younger players paid more, they’ll increase starting salaries and maybe tie them to an index, maybe earlier arbitration. No one is proposing eliminating the luxury tax, players want higher ceilings and no penalties for exceeding, owners want lower, they’ll meet in the middle. Players want earlier free agency, probably get it for older players. Both sides have proposed “anti tanking “ measures. I don’t believe anyone seriously wants a floor. Nothing revolutionary here. 

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

The players want younger players paid more, they’ll increase starting salaries and maybe tie them to an index, maybe earlier arbitration. No one is proposing eliminating the luxury tax, players want higher ceilings and no penalties for exceeding, owners want lower, they’ll meet in the middle. Players want earlier free agency, probably get it for older players. Both sides have proposed “anti tanking “ measures. I don’t believe anyone seriously wants a floor. Nothing revolutionary here. 

I like your take on things, and it would be the most logical. I do think that much of the remaining negotiations will be forged out of a  cauldron filled to the brim of the unpleasant alloy of greed, arrogance and ego. In such an environment, it may take a long time for mutual self interest to prevail, maybe several months.

Does anyone know how the MLB owners structure their bargaining team? Although the owners all are “haves“ in the largest sense, in the specific sense of their relation to each other there are definitely haves and have nots. The have nots can’t have the same exact interests as the huge big money teams.

I tried to find something on the Internet explaining the structure of the ownership negotiating group in this regard and was unsuccessful. Does Manfred just end up making the decision and then he has to sell it to the other owners? Do they have a small representative group representing each fraction of the owners at large? Do they take a vote and the majority rules or do they need a super majority? I doubt if they are like the anarchists at Occupy Wall Street and feel compelled to achieve some form of consensus. 

43 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Hopefully the language that had to be worked out and finalized was something to the effect of once he proves he is healthy and pitching well the Astros have to return him home to the Tigers for pennies on the dollar. 

Yes, we would prefer this outcome.  I would prefer this very much.

I bet they added this clause:

Herein with it is decreed said forth that the party of the first part must be traded at the 2022 trade deadline any MLB team, but only if said team is a team that heretofore had already drafted the party to the first part out of college and the return shall either be unto the Astros 3 magic beans, or, without prejudice, if said other team doth prefers, an injured starting Venezuelan pitcher; a 5th outfielder who must by the son of a former major player; and a catcher with a busted wing. Farfegnugen ye all parties to this olde agreement. Amen.

3 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

who knows if this is true, but nice to see that the Tigers made a concerted effort.  If Correa expects to get paid comparably to Lindor, then it wasn't in the ballpark, but was probably a fair offer on it's own merit.  Lindor benefitted from 1) crazy, rich owner and 2) got ahead of the free agency 5

Edited by Tenacious D