2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

1 minute ago, RatkoVarda said:

and Correa's health. If those 2 play 160 games each, the Twins could run away with the Central; both are fantastic 2 way players that could easily drop 7-8 WAR seasons each at the most important positions on the field. Of course Buxton has only played more than 100 games ONE TIME, and Correa has only cleared 110 games twice.

Or they could finish dead last. Every team has variance, but any outcome really is possible for the Twins.

Ehh, I don't have the numbers in front of me but I would have to imagine the White Sox will be running away with the division regardless

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Reportedly 10 years, somewhere between $275/ $300 million dollars iirc

For as much scorn as Chris I has gotten (some deservedly), it is kinda telling that no one else stepped up to the plate and offered him anything like that length-wise. Maybe the concerns on his health/durability are more of an issue than we realize?

Ilitch does deserve some criticism, but I could never understand the criticism of him "being cheap" or "making an insulting offer" or "an offer that he knew would be rejected" - when he was the guy who offered the most years and the most total value

and I think Correa - and later Boras - did overplay his hand. Very telling, to me at least, that he got an extra $100k each year, meaning that he and Boras can now claim he has the highest AAV for a position player except for Mike Trout.

$35.1M AAV just tops Anthony Rendon ($35M) (also Boras), and it is exactly $1M more AAV than Lindor. Neither number is a coincidence.

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Boyd isn't going to be ready until about June - I think Avila wants depth for April if one of the Kids stumbles. Could be a little understandable over reaction to last April, but on the other hand they also have a bunch of near ready guys trying to prove themselves in the minors that give them a chance to maybe have another pitcher ready to call up by mid season - one of them might provide the same depth for the later part of the season Boyd would have.

Makes sense..Thanks

Boras will get his agent paid but you might have to play in Minnesota and Colorado. Nice places but not exactly solid contenders year in and year out. I just can't believe Houston didn't resign Correa for that or many others on the edge of contending. Maybe Correa is "blacklisted' of sort ? 

Give the Twins credit for getting the Yankees to take Donaldson so they can sign Correa instead of the Yankees just signing Correa. 

7 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Boras will get his agent paid

so, there's a question. How does an agent get paid on an opt-out contract? If he gets paid based on an annual cut, and the guy opts out but can't sign as good a replacement deal, that means the agent is out money also I suppose......which would mean he gets shorted if his client makes a bad decision down the road?

Edited by gehringer_2

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

Maybe Correa needs to prove he can play a couple or maybe even three years in a row of 150-ish games with 7+ wins before he gets his megadeal. He’s got one under his belt.

I think that’s a variable that I would consider, yes.

12 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Boras will get his agent paid but you might have to play in Minnesota and Colorado. Nice places but not exactly solid contenders year in and year out. I just can't believe Houston didn't resign Correa for that or many others on the edge of contending. Maybe Correa is "blacklisted' of sort ? 

Give the Twins credit for getting the Yankees to take Donaldson so they can sign Correa instead of the Yankees just signing Correa. 

Anyone else get the impression that Correa might be a bit of a pain in the ass personality?  Talent can make some employers overlook that trait, but at some point, it can turn some potential opportunities off.

It is kind of amusing to see the a small market team outmaneuver a big market team like the Twins seemingly did here.

Edited by casimir

13 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Exactly.

2021 was a fun year, but on the pitching side, they had to be creative at times in order just to get through nine innings.

Injuries happen and there will be times where things are more lean, but am hopeful that will be less of an issue in 2022.

True, but don't forget we had Mize, Skubal and Manning on strict pitch counts. Plus we used Norris for a few 5 inning starts. This year, these guys are off the leash. Go ahead, give us 7 innings...😅😅

21 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Another way to look at it is that, with Turnbull due back sometime late year/next year, the Tigers have to cover somewhere around  25-30 starts with some combination of their depth... having Pineda around, even with the injury risk, gives you a solid option to cover some (or possibly even most) of that load.

For the terms ($5 mil+ incentives), it's seems low risk/high reward for them.

Yep...this is the kind of signing that I have been hoping for for that reason. 

Given Pinedas injury risk, and the relative youth of the other guys, I would like to see one other similar signing.

Edited by sabretooth

1 hour ago, Tigermojo said:

Funkhouser has a strained right lat and probably won't be ready for opening day according to Hinch. He hasn't been able to throw yet.

With Pineda and Peralta both dealing with visa issues, makes for some interesting decisions on opening day pitching-wise.

I would never hope for someone to be injured because that would be morally corrupt. But if Correa just sucked up a storm and screwed the Twins for three years that would make me happy. I don’t want him to be hurt because I’m honestly not Evil but I will root for him to suck because it hurts the Twins. 

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

I would never hope for someone to be injured because that would be morally corrupt. But if Correa just sucked up a storm and screwed the Twins for three years that would make me happy. I don’t want him to be hurt because I’m honestly not Evil but I will root for him to suck because it hurts the Twins. 

Yeah - you know the Twins are absolutely banking on him opting out at the end of the season, so if he gets hurt or falters and doesn't, they will not be happy having to pony up another $34M!

In hindsight I think Boras didn't offer the "one year " contract to any of the "big market" teams on purpose to keep them viable for 2023. He works all the angles and when he found himself out of time and options for 2022 Boras made sure not to poison the well for next year. You have to tip your cap to him.

16 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

In hindsight I think Boras didn't offer the "one year " contract to any of the "big market" teams on purpose to keep them viable for 2023. He works all the angles and when he found himself out of time and options for 2022 Boras made sure not to poison the well for next year. You have to tip your cap to him.

Still a bit surprised the Twins were willing to go that AAV.

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

That has been the issue right from the start.  If he does not play 140 games this year he will never get a contract longer than 3 years for the rest of his career.

That might be a popular line of thought.  But it takes just one owner with a desire to make a move to push their team over the next obstacle in front of them.  Don’t forget, the Tigers used to have one of those owners not too long ago.