2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

59 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

I agree with the need for separating sabr analysis and politics.  I'm a conservative guy, so I dont agree with the leftwing stuff, but as you know I have also opposed fans adopting the owners perspective regarding cost avoidance and low cost approaches to guaranteeing profits. 

As you also know, I would rather listen to fans be fans rather than to hear them scold me for failing to embrace lower payrolls, because somehow that helps teams sustain winning (yeah, if you are one of the handful of orgs that are usually very good at player selection, development, and deployment, which the Tigers under AA have not been).

As for sabrs out there, I dont really follow sabr individuals... nowadays I read articles about specific topics that I am already researching.  If an article that I come across seems off-topic I move on.  I havent noticed the leftward shift out there but it doesnt surprise me.

I should say that I am apolitical with mostly liberal ideals.  I don't pretend that either party cares about anyone's ideals.    

I have little interest in the financial side of the game and even less interest in whether the Illitch's make a profit or whether baseball becomes more popular.  I think it is almost always a good thing for fans if their owner is willing to spend a lot of money.  

32 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Its on every single morning on COZI.  

I remember watching that as in kid in 1972, 1973 and I never imagined I would watch the episodes again at the age of 57 and I actually remember scenes.     Terrible acting.  Women were almost always portrayed as histrionic or helpless, it was the 70s.   But the two paramedics did a lot of their own stunts.    

I was more of a Adam-12 guy.

Joe Buck is leaving Fox to do MNF with Aikman. I know Buck is kinda a polarizing announcer so for those that don't like him take solace in knowing you won't have to listen to him call the Tigers World Series games in the coming years. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Joe Buck is leaving Fox to do MNF with Aikman. I know Buck is kinda a polarizing announcer so for those that don't like him take solace in knowing you won't have to listen to him call the Tigers World Series games in the coming years. 

Wish he had moved to do the NHL instead, but leaving baseball is progress.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I remember watching that as in kid in 1972, 1973 and I never imagined I would watch the episodes again at the age of 57 and I actually remember scenes.     Terrible acting.  Women were almost always portrayed as histrionic or helpless, it was the 70s.   But the two paramedics did a lot of their own stunts.    

But they had Julie London and her husband Bobby Troupe...(who wrote the classic Route 66)

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I remember watching it as a kid, too, and liking it, basically because it was written at a single-digit-grade level.

9 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Joe Buck was never much a baseball guy, anyway, so definitely no loss.

32 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Truly terrible broadcaster, I'll never understand why some like him... just one example from last year was asking Kris Bryant what he thought about likely not being a Cub after the trade deadline while he was representing the Cubs in the All Star Game. Just classless.

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I should say that I am apolitical with mostly liberal ideals.  I don't pretend that either party cares about anyone's ideals.    

I have little interest in the financial side of the game and even less interest in whether the Illitch's make a profit or whether baseball becomes more popular.  I think it is almost always a good thing for fans if their owner is willing to spend a lot of money.  

I am fascinated with the financial side, being a finance guy....but I hate it when fans oppose getting a good player at a good price that the team needs to win because they know the owners' bottom line needs well enough to take such a stand. 

Even fans who digest and understand all of the public information about player performance and potential, player and union contracts/negotiations, team/league budgets, owner finances, and so on, are never in any reasonable position to objectively judge the potential for a team to maximize team performance/profit.

From the standpoint of diminishing returns, I think it's reasonable to speculate that there is a "breaking point" where too much spending on the roster interferes with the proper functions of the organization and with the development of players. 

For orgainizations like the Rays/Cards that appear to excel at the non-spending parts of the game, that theoretical too-much-spending breaking point might be a lot lower than the Yankees or Dodgers, who are accustomed to the nuances of integrating large payrolls. 

The Tigers are in neither situation.  Unless they acquire generational upgrades in front office personnel and prove that they have ascended to the level of the Rays/Cards, they will have to push all of the right buttons and spend a reasonable/average amount of money to succeed on a fairly regular basis, just the rest of the league. 

Hell, even the Cards have had a top-half salary structure for at least the last 5 years.

Edited by sabretooth

The notion of "waiting to spend" until all of the other pieces are in place is just silly. 

I see people on MTF saying that it's alright that the Tigers are projected to have a losing season in 2022, and that we don't need to win this year, and that if we're going to win it should be because of unexpected improvement from the youngsters -- bullcrap. 

If we added two good starting pitchers, a good OF, and some reasonably priced bullpen help, we would be projected to be a winning team, and have a good shot at the playoffs.  And Chris Illitch would probably still make a tidy profit (I don't care about the profit, but a few folks around here seem to care). 

But nope, spending to get us over the hump is the "wrong" way to do it, sayeth the salary scolds. 

We must pay for our sins of cheering for a team that long long long ago had a high salary structure. 

Five years of losing is not enough atonement. 

Make it six years.....

.....and maybe Chris I will start to feel like maybe he wants to think about possibly spending something approaching a level of money that isn't one of the bottom ten teams in the league.

Edited by sabretooth