2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

8 hours ago, mtutiger said:

This season, probably not much if at all... I do think it's reasonable to expect him back in some form next year.

Overall, my point is just that the Tigers are gonna need to cover 25-30 starts at the back end of the rotation on account if not having him, and adding Pineda to the mix is a relatively low cost proposition to add depth in order to cover some of that loss.

Yes, I think Turnbull back at full strength and form for 2023 is fine.  It possible for late 2022, but I just know that I'd want to count on it.  Wentz is a guy to watch early this season for similar reasons albeit later on the recovery timeline.

7 Ps had double digit GS last season for the Tigers and an 8th (Turnbull) had 9 GS.  Those 8 Ps accounted for 152 starts out of 162 games.  I would expect something somewhat similar this season.  Pineda is still an injury risk, hence the inexpensive deal.  Seeing Rodriguez go 3 IP to start the Grapefruit League was encouraging; hopefully Ps have been up on the conditioning calendar and its just a matter of matching actual game outings to that conditioning.

5 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL - What did the Tigers offer again(?!?!?!)

Reportedly 10 years, somewhere between $275/ $300 million dollars iirc

For as much scorn as Chris I has gotten (some deservedly), it is kinda telling that no one else stepped up to the plate and offered him anything like that length-wise. Maybe the concerns on his health/durability are more of an issue than we realize?

Edited by mtutiger

What, 3/105 is all it would have taken? Shit, man, we could’ve offered Correa that!

Good for the Twins and/or WME for being creative and coming up with it.

That gets Minneasota to about 81 wins. Where do the other six or eight wins come from for them to get to October? I guess it’s gonna have to be overachievement.

Edited by chasfh
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, chasfh said:

What, 3/105 is all it would have taken? Shit, man, we could’ve offered Correa that!

That gets Minneasota to about 81 wins. Where do the other six or eight wins come from for them to get to October? I guess it’s gonna have to be overachievement.

There will be a team or two that overachieves and makes the playoffs this year.  That is one of the reasons I hate "tanking".  Hopefully, this year the Tigers will be one of them.  They are good enough where you can believe it's possible.  

Just now, Tiger337 said:

There will be a team or two that overachieves and makes the playoffs this year.  That is one of the reasons I hate "tanking".  Hopefully, this year the Tigers will be one of them.  They are good enough where you can believe it's possible.  

We are also in a hopefully short era that sees a wide distribution of wins across the league which might actually allow an 85-win team to sneak into the last wild card slot. So maybe Minnesota is looking at that.

8 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

This contract only came to be because we’re already playing games in Spring Training.  It’s basically a one-year deal.

Maybe, maybe not.  Rumors are that Houston's owner was getting more involved on their end recently.

This has been an awfully odd free agency for Correa.  We don't know everything, but I think given everything that is publicly "known" suggests maybe Correa overplayed his hand a bit?  He had the team out there that was willing to spend (Texas), but they went with other options which soaked up the funds.

1 minute ago, casimir said:

Maybe, maybe not.  Rumors are that Houston's owner was getting more involved on their end recently.

This has been an awfully odd free agency for Correa.  We don't know everything, but I think given everything that is publicly "known" suggests maybe Correa overplayed his hand a bit?  He had the team out there that was willing to spend (Texas), but they went with other options which soaked up the funds.

I think it's fair to say that Rangers signings of both Seager and Semien seem like significant overpays, although the market was different pre vs post lockout, so idk.

I do think Seager getting drunken sailor money and years may have recalibrated Correa's expectations in a way that ran counter to the market... at the end of the day, in order to get Lindor money/years, someone has to be willing to give out Lindor money/years. And that team doesn't appear to exist at the moment

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I'm thinking a lot of teams are saying they could've offered that. 

54 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I think it's fair to say that Rangers signings of both Seager and Semien seem like significant overpays, although the market was different pre vs post lockout, so idk.

I do think Seager getting drunken sailor money and years may have recalibrated Correa's expectations in a way that ran counter to the market... at the end of the day, in order to get Lindor money/years, someone has to be willing to give out Lindor money/years. And that team doesn't appear to exist at the moment

And the Rangers are going to flop like the Padres did last year.    

The Twins could potentially contend with CWS or for a wild card but they also could finish 4th or 5th. They essentially replaced Donaldson and Simmons with Urshela and Correa, that could be a 4 or 5 win upgrade if Correa stays healthy and plays at his best but if he doesn't then it really won't be too big of upgrade over what they got last year.

They also replaced Garver with Sanchez at catcher which I think is a downgrade of atleast 1 win considering how atrocious Sanchez is behind the plate.  He has a higher ceiling offensively though and if he could somehow turn back the clock to how he hit his first couple years than he could be a big addition for them but we shall see.

The other big move they made was getting Sonny Gray. Yeah he's a good get but you have to keep in mind that they got 4 months of great Berrios pitching last year that they won't get this year so he may not even offset that.

Ultimately though I think for them it's going to come down to Buxton's health and the development of some of their younger guys like Kiriloff. The past several years they are a completely different team when Buxton plays, he's a top 5ish all around position player when healthy but unfortunately he hasnt shown the ability to stay on the field.  For Minny's sake if they do have aspirations of the playoffs he's probably going to have to cause I just don't see enough upgrades over last year for them to make that jump otherwise but regardless kudos for them for atleast trying and immediately reallocating the money they saved on Donaldson to use on Correa. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

41 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Ultimately though I think for them it's going to come down to Buxton's health

and Correa's health. If those 2 play 160 games each, the Twins could run away with the Central; both are fantastic 2 way players that could easily drop 7-8 WAR seasons each at the most important positions on the field. Of course Buxton has only played more than 100 games ONE TIME, and Correa has only cleared 110 games twice.

Or they could finish dead last. Every team has variance, but any outcome really is possible for the Twins.