2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

correa's contract over baez's decline years any day of the week.  correa is much better than baez.

Apples and oranges.  The Correa contract was made out of desperation and would not have been available to us earlier.  

Also, if Correa stays healthy and productive, he’s gone after one season.

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

correa's contract over baez's decline years any day of the week.  correa is much better than baez.

I think Correa is better, but Baez has an opt out which means we'll probably miss his decline years.  However, if the Tigers got Correa for the same contract as the Twins, I would prefer that over Baez.  

25 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think Correa is better, but Baez has an opt out which means we'll probably miss his decline years.  However, if the Tigers got Correa for the same contract as the Twins, I would prefer that over Baez.  

Minnesota's #1 and #2 prospects are SS. Correa as a one year rental is probably fine to them.

We have Baez for 2 yrs (or more) at age 29. If he walks at 31 I'm not going to be heartbroken. But I wouldn't be all that wild about investing 35M in Correa at age 27 and only having 1 yr committed - seems like a waste unless you were sure he puts you over the top, which would be a silly thing for either MN or DET to believe.

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I feel the opposite, I think he's going to get injured.  He's better than Baez, but Baez is going to be in the lineup every day.

2 hours ago, casimir said:

Stay healthy, dude.

He had some pretty devastating stuff when he 1st got to pro ball - threw a no-hitter at AA IIRC, then there were velo issues then the TJ. There could still be some serious talent there, or the physical window may have closed for him. But he and Wentz and Brieske will be the arms to watch for the chance of a break-out this season.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Minnesota's #1 and #2 prospects are SS. Correa as a one year rental is probably fine to them.

We have Baez for 2 yrs (or more) at age 29. If he walks at 31 I'm not going to be heartbroken. But I wouldn't be all that wild about investing 35M in Correa at age 27 and only having 1 yr committed - seems like a waste unless you were sure he puts you over the top, which would be a silly thing for either MN or DET to believe.

we may have the inferior player, but we have him for TWICE as long!  ha!  take that, twinkies.

Edited by buddha
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

i dont see how you can not like this deal for the twins.  they got the best player on the market for a short term deal that keeps him motivated amd allows him to reset again next year if he wants and makes him the highest paid player at his position.  win-win.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, buddha said:

i dont see how you can not like this deal for the twins.  they got the best player on the market for a short term deal that keeps him motivated amd allows him to reset again next year if he wants and makes him the highest paid player at his position.  win-win.

It will be interesting to see if Correa out produces Donaldson this season. I guess Minny is moving  Arraez to 3rd, so if Donaldson vs Correa is a wash then you are really looking at Arraez vs Simmons which would be an improvement, but none of that addresses their pitching. Minny's problem was runs allowed, and that wasn't because they had Donaldson and Simmons on the left side. Normally the fact that they got younger by moving on from Donaldson and Simmon is a plus, but if Correa is just a rental....

But no doubt it works better for MN with Austin Martin and Royce Lewis in the wings than it would for Det.

Edited by gehringer_2

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

It will be interesting to see if Correa out produces Donaldson this season. I guess Minny is moving  Arraez to 3rd, so if Donaldson vs Correa is a wash then you are really looking at Arraez vs Simmons which would be an improvement, but none of that addresses their pitching. Minny's problem was runs allowed, and that wasn't because they had Donaldson and Simmons on the left side. Normally the fact that they got younger by moving on from Donaldson and Simmon is a plus, but if Correa is just a rental....

This all makes sense. 

Minnesota definitely has a path toward a playoff spot, but just about everything has to go right pitching wise. And like with the Tigers, whatever path exists is definitely not gonna involve a division title.... the White Sox haven't been as active this offseason, but they are still very lethal offensively and have made some pretty significant improvements in the bullpen (adding Gravemen/Kelly).

It's disappointing that they decided to do zombie runners for the 10th inning, instead of starting them in the 11th, but there's nothing in it for Players or teams to make the game any longer than they feel they have to, so I can see how they arrived at the decision.

So far, they're saying it's only for the 2022 season.

17 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It's disappointing that they decided to do zombie runners for the 10th inning, instead of starting them in the 11th, but there's nothing in it for Players or teams to make the game any longer than they feel they have to, so I can see how they arrived at the decision.

They said it was only for the 2020 season.  

29 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Yeah, because of the short spring training and trying to get 162 games in before it starts snowing. : ( . I still don't like it. But at least we don't have little league, 7 inning games for DH.

Tigers roster through May 1st ? 

10 position players  (9 starters + Eric Haase) 

18 pitchers   (4 starters, 9 relievers,  5-man battle for spot 5 in the rotation).  

Actually, there is no pitcher cap, so they could have a 16-12 pitcher/position set up, but I think they go 15/13

Starters - Manning, Mize, Pineda, Rodriguez, Skubal

Relievers  - Alexander, Chafin, Cisnero, Foley, Fulmer, Funkhouser, Rony Garcia, Joe Jiminez, Soto, Wentz  

Catchers - Barnhart, Haase

Infielders - Baez, Cabrera, Candelario, HCastro, WCastro, Paredes, Schoop   

Outfielders - Baddoo, Greene, Grossman, Reyes