2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

5 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Tigers roster through May 1st ? 

10 position players  (9 starters + Eric Haase) 

18 pitchers   (4 starters, 9 relievers,  5-man battle for spot 5 in the rotation).  

Actually, there is no pitcher cap, so they could have a 16-12 pitcher/position set up, but I think they go 15/13

Starters - Manning, Mize, Pineda, Rodriguez, Skubal

Relievers  - Alexander, Chafin, Cisnero, Foley, Fulmer, Funkhouser, Rony Garcia, Joe Jiminez, Soto, Wentz  

Catchers - Barnhart, Haase

Infielders - Baez, Cabrera, Candelario, HCastro, WCastro, Paredes, Schoop   

Outfielders - Baddoo, Greene, Grossman, Reyes

Willi is gonna get bumped, and I suspect that someone like Will Vest is more likely than Wentz to be in a bullpen role

35 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

someone like Will Vest is more likely than Wentz to be in a bullpen role

Wentz, Faedo should be on the starting staff for the hens  - well Faedo once they finish his warm weather rehab work....

EDIT:... actually Beck just reported that Wentz was optioned to AA this afternoon, but JB still thinks odds are he ends up at Toledo once things are sorted out.

Edited by gehringer_2

19 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Wentz, Faedo should be on the starting staff for the hens  - well Faedo once they finish his warm weather rehab work....

EDIT:... actually Beck just reported that Wentz was optioned to AA this afternoon, but JB still thinks odds are he ends up at Toledo once things are sorted out.

Absolutely, you gotta keep those guys logging innings... that doesn't happen if they are in Detroit.

Guys like Will Vest or Miguel Diaz or (gulp) Joe Jimenez, that's where your competition is for the final bullpen spots.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Absolutely, you gotta keep those guys logging innings... that doesn't happen if they are in Detroit.

Guys like Will Vest or Miguel Diaz or (gulp) Joe Jimenez, that's where your competition is for the final bullpen spots.

Actually in the first months, they might be logging the same amount of innings as they would in Toledo.    I would guess there is going to be a very strict pitch count on the starters, and you are going to need a couple of minor league starters to be long relievers.   

On 3/20/2022 at 11:18 PM, gehringer_2 said:

He had some pretty devastating stuff when he 1st got to pro ball - threw a no-hitter at AA IIRC, then there were velo issues then the TJ. There could still be some serious talent there, or the physical window may have closed for him. But he and Wentz and Brieske will be the arms to watch for the chance of a break-out this season.

That was Mize who threw the no-hitter in his first start in AA. Faedo basically came in overweight and his stuff and declined in his first season. He survived a in A+ but with concerns about his K rate and velocity, and he got rocked as soon as he got to AA. He was dropped way down on most top Tigers prospects lists after his first season. His Velo actually bounced back a bit in his second season and he performed solidly in AA.

25 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

That was Mize who threw the no-hitter in his first start in AA. Faedo basically came in overweight and his stuff and declined in his first season. He survived a in A+ but with concerns about his K rate and velocity, and he got rocked as soon as he got to AA. He was dropped way down on most top Tigers prospects lists after his first season. His Velo actually bounced back a bit in his second season and he performed solidly in AA.

you are right - What I remembered was that Faedo and Carlton combined for a no-hitter the same season - Faedo went 7 no-hit, Carlton threw 8 and 9.

https://www.milb.com/gameday/baysox-vs-seawolves/2019/04/24/571796#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=box,game=571796

Edited by gehringer_2

I think the Tigers still have dreams of Willi returning to his COVID shorten season form and they will give him every opportunity to do so but I think time may be running out in him. 

You could understand last year when they were throwing out the likes of Harold and Zack Short but with Baez in tow and Schoop back at 2nd there's really no need or place for him on the team. 

Hinch said at the end of last year that Willi Castro has some to do to be a major leaguer.  You rarely hear a manager talk that way about someone who has been on the roster for a couple of years.  Maybe, he did some work over the winter which changed his status, but that wasn't a good sign.  Personally, I think a utility guy who can't play middle infield and has played little outfield doesn't belong on the roster.  

23 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Hinch said at the end of last year that Willi Castro has some to do to be a major leaguer.  You rarely hear a manager talk that way about someone who has been on the roster for a couple of years.  Maybe, he did some work over the winter which changed his status, but that wasn't a good sign.  Personally, I think a utility guy who can't play middle infield and has played little outfield doesn't belong on the roster.  

Willi is one of those guys who can be a positive player on a bad team, but ends up not doing enough things well to hold a spot as the players around him improve.

Edited by gehringer_2

The main thing Willi has going for him over Harold is his age. Willi is not yet 25, so he (purportedly) has upside, and he had a great 60-game stretch a couple years ago. Harold is 28.

If we have to have at least one Castro on the team, I don't think this has been decided yet. I understand the desire to have a guy who can play both in and out, but we'll probably already have five guys who can play outfield, so that might be enough to take Willi north if he has a surge in the last couple weeks.

Edited by chasfh

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

HaHa. Jack just said that Dan Gladden (does radio for the Twins) told him Correa hasn't shown up at the Twins camp yet.

Really? Didn't Correa just do a press conference welcoming him to the Twins yesterday? That wouldn't have been in Minneapolis, would it have been?

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Really? Didn't Correa just do a press conference welcoming him to the Twins yesterday? That wouldn't have been in Minneapolis, would it have been?

Jack's story was that the presser was not done at ST camp. Of course Morris could be FOS, would hardly be the 1st time.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

The main thing Willi has going for him over Harold is his age. Willi is not yet 25, so he (purportedly) has upside, and he had a great 60-game stretch a couple years ago. Harold is 28.

If we have to have at least one Castro on the team, I don't think this has been decided yet. I understand the desire to have a guy who can play both in and out, but we'll probably already have five guys who can play outfield, so that might be enough to take Willi north if he has a surge in the last couple weeks.

Don't sleep on Jack Lopez beating out both. I think he will make the team. Also Garneau at least for the first month/28. I think Hinch already knows who's going north at least for the position players. My guess :

Miggy, Tork, Scoop, Baez, Candy, Badoo, Greene, Grossman, Barnhardt, Haas, Garneau, Lopez, Reyes, H.Castro and 14 pitchers- Mize, Rodriguez, Skubal , Pineada, Manning, Soto , Cisnero , Fullmer , Chafin,  Alexander, Lange, Jimenez, Diaz , and Vest. Maybe a stand in for Pineada if he is not ready. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Don't sleep on Jack Lopez beating out both. I think he will make the team. Also Garneau at least for the first month/28. I think Hinch already knows who's going north at least for the position players. My guess :

Miggy, Tork, Scoop, Baez, Candy, Badoo, Greene, Grossman, Barnhardt, Haas, Garneau, Lopez, Reyes, H.Castro and 14 pitchers- Mize, Rodriguez, Skubal , Pineada, Manning, Soto , Cisnero , Fullmer , Chafin,  Alexander, Lange, Jimenez, Diaz , and Vest. Maybe a stand in for Pineada if he is not ready. 

Lopez is interesting defensively since he has played a bit all over.  The bat is what the bat is.  And I think they would have to make a 40 move to bring him north (which the Tigers have Turnbull to move to the 60 as a 40 move in their pocket).  I suspect he's headed to Toledo, but who knows.

I think the roster you proposed seems a very reasonable guess.  Lopez, Jimenez, Diaz, and Vest are probably up in the air, but we're talking the last position player and bullpen pieces that are probably lower leverage to start the season. 

And I agree with you about Pineda's questionable availability out of camp.  Off days are not exactly plentiful early on, so they will need that 5th SP.  It's got to be Alexander, right?  They can stretch him out right away and not worry about that.  Who knows, maybe they go to 6 SP for a bit once Pineda returns.

I'm sure Casimir and Casfh have a better sense than I but its always fun to guess. Yes Alexander should be the 5th starter out of the gate and I was totally unaware of the 40 man restrictions/needs adding jack Lopez. He probably is insurance at Toledo but fits the utility needs.