2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

As per the MLB.com page, the 40 is at 40 but includes Rogers and Turnbull, so that leaves room for Greene and Torkelson. Beyond that someone gets bumped.

I can't imagine they are too attached to Del Pozo, and I could see them cutting Cody Clemens loose.

Edited by gehringer_2

24 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

As per the MLB.com page, the 40 is at 40 but includes Rogers and Turnbull, so that leaves room for Greene and Torkelson. Beyond that someone gets bumped.

I can't imagine they are too attached to Del Pozo, and I could see them cutting Cody Clemens loose.

I wouldn't be surprised if Joe Jimenez doesn't make the team.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

its Kody.  because all the kids' names have to start with "k"...

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Rogers is still dead. That's a spot

2 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Joe Jimenez doesn't make the team.  

He'll probably make it, but frankly, he's been outpitched during the spring by guys like Will Vest, Jason Foley and Miguel Diaz. 

If he doesn't perform, his days oughtta be numbered. Tigers have more depth now.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

He'll probably make it, but frankly, he's been outpitched during the spring by guys like Will Vest, Jason Foley and Miguel Diaz. 

If he doesn't perform, his days oughtta be numbered. Tigers have more depth now.

Yeah, he might make the team out of camp, but he might not be long for the team.

Brusdar Graterol from the Dodgers would fit that role to a T. Was highly touted as a prospect, Routinely goes over 100mph, has some control problems(3.5BB/9) and most importantly is plump with room to grow. Don't think the Dodgers are interested in trading him, particularly since Jansen left them but if Avila is serious about filling that important void he should see what it would take to get him. 

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

I can see a minor trade taking place towards the end of the spring, to help create some room on the 40.  I would think the Castro boys, Clemens, Hill, Reyes and Jiminez are all vulnerable.

Every teams has those type of players. Nobody is gonna give up a guy for two of them and then have to carry them on their own 40 man.

The rich tradition of Big Fat Righthanded Relievers dates back to Steve Foucault I think, acquired in early 1977.  When he arrived in Detroit, at his first meeting with the beat reporters he was wearing number 29 and one of the reporters kidded him about it and he said "yeah, they gave me the fat guy's uniform".  When the reporter followed up with an observation that it was odd that the Tigers would always put the 29 number on an extra large shirt every year, Foucault said "no, I really mean this is Lolich's actual uniform".  LOL at how cheap Jim Campbell was.

It's possible that the chain has been broken occasionally but the torch has been passed to Franklyn German, and Joba Chamberlain, and Joe Jimenez, and probably several more.  I would like to see it continue.

4 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

The rich tradition of Big Fat Righthanded Relievers dates back to Steve Foucault I think, acquired in early 1977.  When he arrived in Detroit, at his first meeting with the beat reporters he was wearing number 29 and one of the reporters kidded him about it and he said "yeah, they gave me the fat guy's uniform".  When the reporter followed up with an observation that it was odd that the Tigers would always put the 29 number on an extra large shirt every year, Foucault said "no, I really mean this is Lolich's actual uniform".  LOL at how cheap Jim Campbell was.

It's possible that the chain has been broken occasionally but the torch has been passed to Franklyn German, and Joba Chamberlain, and Joe Jimenez, and probably several more.  I would like to see it continue.

The best one was Aurelio Lopez, but he got too good for the role.  

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

The best one was Aurelio Lopez, but he got too good for the role.  

"Senior Smoke" could pitch every day of the week and twice on Sunday and still be very effective. A managers dream. Very underrated on the 1984 championship team setting up for Willie Hernandez. He pitched 137 innings out of the pen that year. 137 !

7 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

"Senior Smoke" could pitch every day of the week and twice on Sunday and still be very effective. A managers dream. Very underrated on the 1984 championship team setting up for Willie Hernandez. He pitched 137 innings out of the pen that year. 137 !

Those were the days when hurlers could just rear back and throw the ball and let guys hit it so hitters could get themselves out, because pitchers didn’t worry about every guy in the batting order taking them out of the ballpark.

Sure, pitchers had a higher average WHIP back then (1.345 in 1984, versus 1.297 last year), but home runs per game was far lower (0.77 then versus 1.22 last year, which itself is down from 1.39 in 2019). That’s why strikeouts were way lower then, too (5.87 then versus 8.68 now): pitchers didn’t have to take several extra seconds between each pitch to gather up their strength to throw yet another balls-out, 100%, max effort pitch to induce swing-and-miss. They just reared back, let it fly, and accepted the consequences, which weren’t nearly so dire some 40 years ago.

Average time of game in 1984: 2:39.