2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

15 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

"Senior Smoke" could pitch every day of the week and twice on Sunday and still be very effective. A managers dream. Very underrated on the 1984 championship team setting up for Willie Hernandez. He pitched 137 innings out of the pen that year. 137 !

I miss the days when RP could pitch well for multiple innings at a time.

Not Tigers related but Pujols just signed a 1 year deal with the Cardinals. He's sitting on 679 HRs, he hit 17 last year so there's a chance he can get to 700 this year if he gets enough ABs. Would be cool to not only see him get there but to see him do it in a Cardinals uniform. 

33 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Could also be the need to evaluate other talent to determine who gets remaining open roles on the team.

roles schmoles. 

we're deciding between reyes, hill and cameron   and castro, castro and paredes.   that's all that need to be decided.  you can rest baddoo and grossman of the OF and you can rest schoop, baez and candy in the INF. 

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

roles schmoles. 

we're deciding between reyes, hill and cameron   and castro, castro and paredes.   that's all that need to be decided.  you can rest baddoo and grossman of the OF and you can rest schoop, baez and candy in the INF. 

It's a long season, especially for a couple guys who have not played 180. Its ok to give em a day off. 

• Thanks 2

Another potential rule change.  This one is logical and could help the game.  I can't read the article, but I assume the reasoning is that a baserunner can move around the bases faster, making it easier to get extra base hits or at least to attempot to get them (more action).

16 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Another potential rule change.  This one is logical and could help the game.  I can't read the article, but I assume the reasoning is that a baserunner can move around the bases faster, making it easier to get extra base hits or at least to attempot to get them (more action).

It's funny that for all these years the diamond has not been square. It's a pretty small difference in the overall scheme of things, but the diamond should be square and now it isn't. The biggest diff will be 1st to 2nd on a steal where your cutting down the distance by half the bag? That is significant. When the batter is rounding the bases bringing the base in will probably be of more marginal value because the sharper turn has the counter balance of slowing you down.

Edited by gehringer_2

24 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's funny that for all these years the diamond has not been square. It's a pretty small difference in the overall scheme of things, but the diamond should be square and now it isn't. The biggest diff will be 1st to 2nd on a steal where your cutting down the distance by half the bag? That is significant. When the batter is rounding the bases bringing the base in will probably be of more marginal value because the sharper turn has the counter balance of slowing you down.

I just read (John Thorn) that originally all the bases were positioned similar to how second is positioned now.  Then the moved 1st and 3rd base in 1890 or so but left second base as is. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Hmmmm....  Anyone think this might explain the throwing issues that befell Steve Sax and Chuck Knoblauch?

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I just read (John Thorn) that originally all the bases were positioned similar to how second is positioned now.  Then the moved 1st and 3rd base in 1890 or so but left second base as is. 

Originally the middle of both first base and third base were also at the same kind of midpoint that second base still is, but they were both moved in toward second to get them completely out of foul territory. That way if a batted ball hit the bag, the umpire would no longer have to guesstimate whether the ball hit the part of the bag in foul or fair territory. After the move, if the ball hit the bag, it’s fair.

• Thanks 1

Seems that it's actually a little over 88 feet between first and second and second and third and this move, if implemented, plus larger bases will reduce it another 1.5 feet. The minor leagues are doing both this year. Logic is to increase stolen base attempts and first to third action.

16 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Seems that it's actually a little over 88 feet between first and second and second and third and this move, if implemented, plus larger bases will reduce it another 1.5 feet. The minor leagues are doing both this year. Logic is to increase stolen base attempts and first to third action.

As long as home runs stay up as high as they are, stolen bases are probably not going to increase dramatically, as teams are not going to want to reduce the potential for homers with men on base down to solo shots.

This might go double for when they implement a pitch clock without deadening the ball.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Torkelson and Greene haven't yet made the team according to AJ Hinch. 

Okay, technically this is true.  They won't officially make the team until April 7th, but lets be honest here, they've made the team.   

I'm still going to the Mud Hens opener.  

Neither of them are on the 40-man roster...yet.