2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

so far in ST Greene (450) and Torkelson(375) are #1 & #2 in OBP on the team. I suppose they could both crash and burn in the next week, but seems unlikely.

Which is why they will end up batting second and third. Or third and fourth with Baez 5th

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

so far in ST Greene (450) and Torkelson(375) are #1 & #2 in OBP on the team. I suppose they could both crash and burn in the next week, but seems unlikely.

Meanwhile, this guy....

I'll be honest, this take sort of defies logic, at least based off of how Greene has looked and carried himself on the field. 

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Meanwhile, this guy....

I'll be honest, this take sort of defies logic, at least based off of how Greene has looked and carried himself on the field. 

Lynn apparently decided his hit rate was falling off too precipitously. Classic click-bait if there ever was. There is less than nothing of substance here. And FYI Lynn, what counts against big-league pitching is...RESULTS.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Lynn apparently decided his hit rate was falling off too precipitously. Classic click-bait if there ever was. There is less than nothing of substance here. And FYI Lynn, what counts against big-league pitching is...RESULTS.

Remember when he was all in on Klenic and we didn't draft him Lynn through a hissy fit?

Remind me where Kelenic came from again?

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Meanwhile, this guy....

Before 2021 Tork played 129 games of college, while Greene played 114 games of pro.  Hey Lynn, which one has more experience?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Meanwhile, this guy....

This got me wondering when the last time we saw a Detroit Tigers position player age 21 or under log a full season in which they had enough plate appearances to qualify for a batting title.

Answer: Alan Trammell, 1979, age 21. The year before that it was Trammell (age 20) and Lou Whitaker (age 21). Last time before that: Al Kaline, 1956 (age 21). Hall of Fame-level careers from all of them.

It also got me wondering how teams across baseball have deployed 21-and-under position players enough to have them qualify for a full season of plate trips since Trammell's 1979 season. Answer: 24 teams have had at least one qualifying season from an 21-or-under player.

Here's the full list of all teams since 1980 and how many such qualifying seasons by youngsters they allowed:

PIT 21
CHC 20
STL 17
BOS 11
CHW 11
MON-WSN 11
HOU 8
NYY 8
TEX 7
ATL 6
BAL 6
MIL 6
MIN 6
SEA 5
FLA-MIA 4
OAK 4
SDP 4
TOR 4
LAA 3
LAD 3
NYM 3
TB 3
ARI 1
KCR 1
DET 0
CLE 0
PHI 0
CIN 0
SFG 0
COL 0

The Tigers are unusual among teams in being either too skittish about having young players play for them, or else have been unable to scout and develop young players good enough that young to play full seasons for them. Take your pick on reason.

Not looking good for Daz Cameron as a Detroit Tiger. Some fairly damning-with-faint-praise words from AJ after Daz was sent down:

Daz “needs to see general improvement across all of his game.  If you grade out where he’s at defensively, there’s a lot of attention-to-detail things that he can improve on to be an impactful player. His skills and tools are as good as anybody that we have in the outfield. Applying it consistently is a big challenge for him.”

Ouch, babe.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The Tigers are unusual among teams in being either too skittish about having young players play for them, or else have been unable to scout and develop young players good enough that young to play full seasons for them. Take your pick on reason.

Oh! Wait! I know! I know!...It'll come to me in second!....

Edited by gehringer_2

5 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

dept of  baseball salary weirdness:

just noticed this on JD Martinez's BR page:

for the Tigers:

4 yrs, 13.52 WAR, $9,750,000

for the Sox

4 yrs, 12.5 WAR, $90,600,000

I'll 2.4 WAR in 3/8 years for the Diamondbacks.  Hey, it was a studly run, it should be noted.

Actually, that $9.75M is incorrect.  Call it 3 1/2 years, tack on half of the $11.75M from 2017 to the Tigers and half to the Diamondbacks.

OK, getting too much into the weeds.  I'm warmed up now.  Time to look at work.

11 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Tork looks old for his age

We as fans should support and cheer these young men, they are great talents, and I think (and hope) that they will be healthy and live up to the billing.  But let's remember that it took a ****hell of a lot of super-awful baseball**** to get them on this team.

We are **hoping** that these youngsters (and the other tank-pick Mize) help this team achieve a level of success in the immediate and intermediate future that the team could have enjoyed throughout the last few years through the proper/competent acquisition and development of drafted talent without tanking, as well as trades and free agency.

Going forward, if Chris I never wants a high payroll structure again, fine, but as a fan I reasonably want and expect him to get the payroll up to an average/normal amount for a winning team. 

Think of it this way:

- when the owner has at least an average salary structure, the **owner** pays what he should expect to pay for a good team, and we the fans get to enjoy it.  It's not our right, but it is reasonable to want this and even to expect it as fans.

- when the owner decides to lose a ton of games for a number of years so he can have a shot at top/cheap/young talent for a few seasons, **WE** the fans pay the price in watching a horrible team for years so that the owner can go cheap and pocket the profit, and **maybe** we the fans get to see a decent team again in the future at some point, if Chris I eventually decides that maybe he'll think about supporting a good team with a normal payroll again (or not).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, casimir said:

I'll 2.4 WAR in 3/8 years for the Diamondbacks.  Hey, it was a studly run, it should be noted.

Actually, that $9.75M is incorrect.  Call it 3 1/2 years, tack on half of the $11.75M from 2017 to the Tigers and half to the Diamondbacks.

OK, getting too much into the weeds.  I'm warmed up now.  Time to look at work.

glad to have been catcher for your morning warm up - now go get 'em!

• Thanks 1

Apparently Forbes was out with numbers about team economics. Somebody quoted them saying the Tigers made a "record" 30 million profit. If that is true, then we all need to beg the Ilitch's pardon for all the things we have said about them because that would be a stupid small ROI on an operation the size of an MLB team. It just shows that too many people don't know enough about what they are talking about.

19 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

We as fans should support and cheer these young men, they are great talents, and I think (and hope) that they will be healthy and live up to the billing.  But let's remember that it took a ****hell of a lot of super-awful baseball**** to get them on this team.

We are **hoping** that these youngsters (and the other tank-pick Mize) help this team achieve a level of success in the immediate and intermediate future that the team could have enjoyed throughout the last few years through the proper/competent acquisition and development of drafted talent without tanking, as well as trades and free agency.

Going forward, if Chris I never wants a high payroll structure again, fine, but as a fan I reasonably want and expect him to get the payroll up to an average/normal amount for a winning team. 

Think of it this way:

- when the owner has at least an average salary structure, the **owner** pays what he should expect to pay for a good team, and we the fans get to enjoy it.  It's not our right, but it is reasonable to want this and even to expect it as fans.

- when the owner decides to lose a ton of games for a number of years so he can have a shot at top/cheap/young talent for a few seasons, **WE** the fans pay the price in watching a horrible team for years so that the owner can go cheap and pocket the profit, and **maybe** we the fans get to see a decent team again in the future at some point, if Chris I eventually decides that maybe he'll think about supporting a good team with a normal payroll again (or not).

Like usual its all or nothing for you and spending guarentees you a good team. And fans before .500 ball in 2018 and .500 ball in 2024. Instead of .300 ball in 2018 and WS in 2024. None of those are true

Edited by KL2

12 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Like usual its all or nothing for you and spending guarentees you a good team. And fans before .500 ball in 2018 and .500 ball in 2024. Instead of .300 ball in 2018 and WS in 2024. None of those are true

They were a nothing team for five years.  For those five years they were a failure.  Those five years are part of their history and they were a loser team for five years.  I am willing to put that in the rear view mirror and look forward, but it's not a strategy I want to see again in the future.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

They were a nothing team for five years.  For those five years they were a failure.  Those five years are part of their history and they were a loser team for five years.  I am willing to put that in the rear view mirror and look forward, but it's not a strategy I want to see again in the future.  

Hate to break it to you. Teams rebuild. It will happen again. 

40 minutes ago, oblong said:

Here’s two franchises that do things right and don’t require five years to maybe contend…

not all teams have to do what the Tigers put their fans through due to incompetence. It’s not a natural thing. 

8EC609EE-4FDA-4313-9F0A-55E4E04516BE.jpeg

1311D843-B624-4E25-A2FA-D5F1DDD65860.jpeg

without looking it's the Cardinals and the Giants  (the 107 wins gives that away).  

Those teams have a huge advantage over the Tigers............