2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet but the White Sox traded Kimbrel to the Dodgers for AJ Pollock. Even though I hate both teams I love these old school  trades where it's just a proven veteran for another proven veteran. Both teams know what they are getting but both teams also know that they are dealing from a position of strength.  

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Yes, they can score 710 runs without much trouble.  670 runs allowed would be more difficult to achieve, but as Gehringer pointed out, defense can make a big difference.  Baez can be a huge improvement if his defense was like it was a couple of years ago.  I don't really now what expect from Greene.  The pitching staff has a lot of questions.  They don't have anyone that has consistently pitched full MLB seasons, but there is a lot of potential.  It's hard to project young players, but there is a lot of new upside on this roster - hitters and pitchers..  Of course, that's not say that they'll reach it.   

Yeah, I guess after looking at the underlying DRS numbers I'm more hopeful that pitching can see a big (25-50 run) improvement from defense alone.

As you said, they also have a rotation with guys who will give you 30 or so starts, 5+ IP/start, 150-180 IP...Eduardo touched 203 IP once in 2019.  There are no workhorses, no aces (yet).   That's likely to require SP depth (which they kinda have with Peralta and Alexander) and a good bullpen (which they don't have). 

I do think they will get to 710 runs hitting-wise, but with the pitching, they will likely need substantially more hitting to win 85+ games.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

and don't go to sleep on Tyler Alexander. Kid is pitching up a storm again today. They are going to have to find ways to get him innings.

Alexander pitched well in his last 9 starts last year:

48IP

42H

14R

13BB

5HR

2.62ERA

1.145WHIP

7.5/2.5 K/BB ratio

Hope he can keep doing something like that.

1 hour ago, sabretooth said:

Yeah, I guess after looking at the underlying DRS numbers I'm more hopeful that pitching can see a big (25-50 run) improvement from defense alone.

As you said, they also have a rotation with guys who will give you 30 or so starts, 5+ IP/start, 150-180 IP...Eduardo touched 203 IP once in 2019.  There are no workhorses, no aces (yet).   That's likely to require SP depth (which they kinda have with Peralta and Alexander) and a good bullpen (which they don't have). 

I do think they will get to 710 runs hitting-wise, but with the pitching, they will likely need substantially more hitting to win 85+ games.

FWIW, Greene's injury definitely, if it is serious, definitely makes Conforto make more sense to me. If you can get him for a 1-2 year deal.

What Chris I would allow is another matter obviously 

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Tweets from tomorrow.  "Doctors have advised amputation for Tigers prized prospect Riley Greene, he is now going to see Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham Alabama for a second opinion." 

Tigers doctors say Riley Greene should be ready to play again, coincidently, right about the time his service time exception expires.   

Tough break for the Mets. deGrom had been named opening day starter.

“Jacob deGrom underwent an MRI today that revealed a stress reaction on his scapula that has caused inflammation in the area. The immediate prescription is for Jake to discontinue throwing for up to 4 weeks and then reimage the area. At that time, we’ll update the plan of care.”

~NY Mets

2 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Tough break for the Mets. deGrom had been named opening day starter.

“Jacob deGrom underwent an MRI today that revealed a stress reaction on his scapula that has caused inflammation in the area. The immediate prescription is for Jake to discontinue throwing for up to 4 weeks and then reimage the area. At that time, we’ll update the plan of care.”

~NY Mets

Well, they got a $43 million insurance policy with one blue eye and one brown eye.  

How did Cal Ripken never foul a ball off his foot and break it or get the flu or food poisoning? How did he never miss a day? Maybe my crazy right wing uncle is right about “the steal“ and about the “lizard people“ who live among us. Cal Ripkin was one of the lizard people. At least Riley Greene is not a lizard person. That’s the bright side.

But I think he’s wrong about George Soros financing Tom Hanks’ and Oprah‘s magical high-speed child sex trafficking tunnels. I don’t think that’s true. So that’s another thing to be optimistic about. 

• Like 1