2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

Bill Shakin reads this forum, saw and recognized me at a ballgame, and semi stole my realignment ideas.

West:  Dodgers, Angels, Padres, Giants, Athletics, Diamondbacks, Rockies, Mariners.

North: Tigers, White Sox, Cubs, Brewers, Twins, Reds, Guardians, Pirates.

South:  Cardinals, Royals, Rangers, Astros, Marlins, Rays, Braves, Nashvilles.

East:  Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Phillies, Nationals, Orioles, Blue Jays,  Expos.

I'd go further and do away with the AL/NL and just go with one MLB.  The all star game teams can be handled some other way.  The playoffs can be seeded by overall MLB standings.  

2 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

This does not bode well.

Let's look on the bright side.

• Torkelson can be the 2022 ROY and Greene can be the 2023 ROY.  Two ROYs heading into 2024.
  • Reyes has put 20 pounds of muscle on and this will finally be the year he shows power.
  • Hill gets a better chance to prove his wares.

I'm trying....

1 minute ago, casimir said:

Let's look on the bright side.

• Torkelson can be the 2022 ROY and Greene can be the 2023 ROY.  Two ROYs heading into 2024.
  • Reyes has put 20 pounds of muscle on and this will finally be the year he shows power.
  • Hill gets a better chance to prove his wares.

I'm trying....

He ran out a triple, stayed in the game for 10 more minutes.   The walking boot is a precaution.   

This guy tore it up for the Schaumburg Boomers and High Point Rockers. 

Tigers signed 1B Quincy Nieporte to a minor league contract.

Nieporte split the 2021 campaign between the Schaumburg Boomers of the independent Frontier League and High Point Rockers of the independent Atlantic League, slashing a robust .331/.381/.575 with 17 homers and three steals across 328 plate appearances. The 27-year-old first baseman, who spent a few years in the Phillies' system earlier in his career, will get a shot in the Tigers' minor-league system this year.

20 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

He ran out a triple, stayed in the game for 10 more minutes.   The walking boot is a precaution.   

I’m just playing nicely with the “the end is nigh” crowd.  It’s somewhere between that and “it’s only a flesh wound” and I’m betting on it being precisely within that spectrum.

Edited by casimir

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The silence is concerning.    And strange.  

Very early in my current career, I had been dragged into a conference call to answer questions for my manager.  His manager told me to stop answering and wanted my manager to answer the questions.  He couldn’t, he’d checked out of his work for a while.  The comment on the other side of the call directed at my manager was “the silence is deafening”.  Oh boy, I’ll never forget that one.

57 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

This guy tore it up for the Schaumburg Boomers and High Point Rockers. 

Tigers signed 1B Quincy Nieporte to a minor league contract.

Nieporte split the 2021 campaign between the Schaumburg Boomers of the independent Frontier League and High Point Rockers of the independent Atlantic League, slashing a robust .331/.381/.575 with 17 homers and three steals across 328 plate appearances. The 27-year-old first baseman, who spent a few years in the Phillies' system earlier in his career, will get a shot in the Tigers' minor-league system this year.

Can a guy named Quincy succeed in baseball? Does he need a tough nickname, maybe Q-factor, or does that 575 slugging number do the trick? And face it, his last name isn’t helping out things.

11 minutes ago, Dan Gilmore said:

Can a guy named Quincy succeed in baseball? Does he need a tough nickname, maybe Q-factor, or does that 575 slugging number do the trick? And face it, his last name isn’t helping out things.

He's got a lot going against him.  His beard has potential, but not quite there.  

3029L.jpg

Edited by Tiger337

Foot fracture can actually be minor, and better than a sprain or tendon injury.   I fractured the side of my foot when I hit it on a furniture leg.  It was barely noticeable on the x-ray and even though it hurt for a few days, I was walking fine within a week.    Now, I am obviously not an athlete and I don't have to rely on running, but I was able to recover fairly quickly and didn't have to wear a boot, I just wore a special type of sandal that extended out  beyond the side of my foot I wouldn't hit it again.   So maybe he's back by Mid-May.   Then they have him rehab in the minors and we see him in June.    

It sucks but as long as it isn't something that lingers throughout the year or effects his performance it shouldn't be that big of deal. It's hard to put a real timetable on it without knowing what bone it is in his foot and how severe the fracture is but I've seen NFL players come back from a fractured foot in under a month.

Of course the Tigers aren't going to rush him back and the month timeline is the best case scenario, there have certainly been situations that took longer but the optimist in me is thinking he will be ready to join the team by Mid May which isn't all that bad. It just sucks though cause the Tigers had such little margin for error when it comes to being legit contenders, they needed everything to go right so starting off the year with something like this doesn't help things at all. Perhaps we'll get lucky and somebody like Reyes will put together a hot month or so to offset the loss.  

10 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

It sucks but as long as it isn't something that lingers throughout the year or effects his performance it shouldn't be that big of deal. It's hard to put a real timetable on it without knowing what bone it is in his foot and how severe the fracture is but I've seen NFL players come back from a fractured foot in under a month.

Of course the Tigers aren't going to rush him back and the month timeline is the best case scenario, there have certainly been situations that took longer but the optimist in me is thinking he will be ready to join the team by Mid May which isn't all that bad. It just sucks though cause the Tigers had such little margin for error when it comes to being legit contenders, they needed everything to go right so starting off the year with something like this doesn't help things at all. Perhaps we'll get lucky and somebody like Reyes will put together a hot month or so to offset the loss.  

These are well-considered thoughts, but it feels too much like we have become Cubs fans of old.  The season hasn't even started and we're already chanting "Wait till next year!"  Oh well.

• Like 1