2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

5 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I hope the Reyes optimists are right but I still don't see it.  Much like Cabrera, if he hits the way he does on one of his hot streaks for the whole season, he'll be good.  

I find it unbelievable how many Reyes optimists there are, including nationally (ie. Mike Petriello). 

We just haven't seen anything beyond outfield depth out of him to date.... but he has a golden opportunity to prove it now. Hopefully he steps up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

I find it unbelievable how many Reyes optimists there are, including nationally (ie. Mike Petriello). 

We just haven't seen anything beyond outfield depth out of him to date.... but he has a golden opportunity to prove it now. Hopefully he steps up.

He is a huge GB machine, even when he was raking after the ASB in 2021....during that stretch his GB% was over 50%, his LD and FB rates were normal for him (that is, too low), and his BABIP was 60 points high for him.

On the plus side, his HR/FB% was 14 instead of his normal 7.

If you normalize his BABIP, and if his HR/FB% stays at 14%, he would slash 282/312/437, which is kinda decent.

Here's hoping for kinda decent.

Edited by sabretooth

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It won't help that he will end up facing more RHP. Hinch is going to have to pick his poison for the OF because none of the candidates have shown they can hit RHP well. 

Harold Castro hits them OK, but I am not sure how well he plays center field.  

Conforto declined the qualifying offer so the Mets get a draft pick. They moved the draft to July 17th so the draft pick compensation doesn't go away until then.

He also has a shoulder injury and Boras is his agent. 

3 minutes ago, kdog said:

Conforto declined the qualifying offer so the Mets get a draft pick. They moved the draft to July 17th so the draft pick compensation doesn't go away until then.

He also has a shoulder injury and Boras is his agent. 

it would be second round? He might be worth it IF he is healthy - depending on how many years he demands. The Tigers don't have much close in the way of OF prospects after Greene. The top position players in the minors now will be IF, (Kreidler, Santana, Pachero, Paredes), and C (Dingler). The first OF left in the Tiger prospect list is Campos at about 10, who is not close, and Meadows at about 20, who is probably not going to make the majors. Tigers have shown in the past they don't mind working with Boras, but that said the asking price will very likely be a non-starter...

Sounds like maybe 6 to 8 weeks recovery and then they'll probably have him in Toledo for a bit on a rehab assignment. It's pretty cruel for Greene because it extends his time by an extra year until he is eligible for FA.

Against RHP, I wouldn't be surprised if Harold Castro got more time in the OF than Reyes.

It seemed like Chafin came in pretty unprepared for the season. Hopefully, he's not out long and can get right during his DL stint. Both he and Fulmer had large drops in the quality of their stuff in ST. 

Edited by Scottwood

42 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

That’s really good stuff.  Kudos to Cabrera.  I think most people would assume that the competitive side of the veteran would be somewhat defensive to the new kid taking away playing time.  That’s not quite the case here given the availability of the DH, but it’s sweet to see Cabrera passing the baton on to Torkelson.

3 minutes ago, Scottwood said:

Sounds like maybe 6 to 8 weeks recovery and then they'll probably have him in Toledo for a bit on a rehab assignment. It's pretty cruel for Greene because it extends his time by an extra year until he is eligible for FA.

Against RHP, I wouldn't be surprised if Harold Castro got more time in the OF than Reyes.

If Reyes flops at the plate that seems the inevitable outcome, though it's hard to look forward to, Harold is not a good outfielder.

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Our old friend Justin Upton was just DFA'd by the Angels, would he be somebody to look at? 

Pass. Hard hit % has been down.  Pull % has been up.  BABIP hasn’t been kind to him lately.  It seems he’s been unhealthy lately, and that might explain his poor output.  But if he ain’t got availability, then what’s the point?

Maybe Cameron gets a reprieve?  Grossman everyday.  Reyes’ final shot, and play him everyday to prove it?  Baddoo with Cameron as a platoon buddy?  Haase figures in there as well.  Or does Baddoo get a chance to work vs LHPs?

I don’t fully understand the risk of Conforto.  Are there still the compensation rules where the Tigers cough up a pick for him?

5 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Ewww gross.

No freaking way.

Second round picks are shiny on draft day, but most don't amount to much.  It's time to start trying to win games.  If Conforto gets back to where he was before last year, he is a really solid hitter.  

The only thing that concerns me is if there an injury.   

20 minutes ago, casimir said:

Maybe Cameron gets a reprieve?  Grossman everyday.  Reyes’ final shot, and play him everyday to prove it?  Baddoo with Cameron as a platoon buddy?  Haase figures in there as well.  Or does Baddoo get a chance to work vs LHPs?

I don’t fully understand the risk of Conforto.  Are there still the compensation rules where the Tigers cough up a pick for him?

yes he would cost the Tigers a pick but as I read it 1st round is protected. Reading back a bit, he apparently turned down an extension offer from the Mets in xs of 100M before they made the qualifying offer so I'd guess the Tigers just aren't going to be interested in another multiyear deal in that range for a 30 yr old.

Edited by gehringer_2

From the official site:

OF Riley Greene (fractured right foot)

Expected return: TBD

Greene suffered a non-displaced fracture when he fouled off a Gerrit Cole pitch Friday. He legged out a triple on the next pitch and eventually scored, but limped back to the clubhouse at the end of the inning. The fracture won’t require surgery, manager A.J. Hinch said, but he’ll be re-evaluated in a few weeks to get a better idea of how long he’ll be out. -- Jason Beck (Last updated: April 2)

I think it was Cody Stavenhagen that wrote that he talked to a couple Sports Doctors(not necessarily ones affiliated with the Tigers) and they said as long as there isn't any setbacks this injury typically takes 6-8 weeks to heal for athletes. I've seen NFL players return from supposed fractured foots even sooner though. 

Just now, RandyMarsh said:

I think it was Cody Stavenhagen that wrote that he talked to a couple Sports Doctors(not necessarily ones affiliated with the Tigers) and they said as long as there isn't any setbacks this injury typically takes 6-8 weeks to heal for athletes. I've seen NFL players return from supposed fractured foots even sooner though. 

another question is maybe what can he do when before he can fully return. For instance - if at some point he can't run but can start taking BP (with a hard shoe!) or non-impact cardio etc., that can take substantial time off his return to play