2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

8 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Hes gonna reject that, one would think

One would think.

But the contract length is interesting.  Correa just turned 27.  Can he get another high AAV contract in a few years?  Can he get 4 years now plus 7 or 8 years then such that the combo is better than a 10-12 year deal now?

And maybe he can accomplish that by getting a long term deal with an early opt out in this off-season.

4 minutes ago, casimir said:

One would think.

But the contract length is interesting.  Correa just turned 27.  Can he get another high AAV contract in a few years?  Can he get 4 years now plus 7 or 8 years then such that the combo is better than a 10-12 year deal now?

And maybe he can accomplish that by getting a long term deal with an early opt out in this off-season.

There's no reason to risk that...

If he can get a 10 year contract right now.

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Houston—no (they would re-sign Correa)

Angels—maybe, but they need SP more

Dodgers—have Turner and won’t sign Seager

Texas—agree, they’ll be in the mix

Mets—already have Lindor

I hope your right since it means we have a chance but Lindor's 10/341 deal is the sugar plum they will seek. I doubt they reach that but still think 300 ish will be attained. Also don't forget the Yankees spending big or discount the Dodgers retaining Seager especially if the Angels come calling.

I think LA will sign Seager for 10/300 + and The Yankees Correa for 12/ 342 both of which will drag Story north of 200 and Simean 6/180. But thats just a guess. Probably will be February until we know.

4 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Are we talking Spencer Turnbull?

Or Tarik Skubal?

Or Tyler Alexander?

Matt Manning?

Derek Hill?

Greg Soto?

Kyle Funkhauser?

Dillon Dingler? 

I'm a little unclear on this... 

Which of the above players disproves my point about the lack of successful development?

4 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

There's one thing that you are also overlooking Sabre (and those believing we need to sign two SP's which... we WON'T, book it):

Trading for another starter at the trade deadline. 

If it's an absolute must at the deadline, then maybe. 

But I still don't think we'll do that, because:

The Org will rely on Wentz coming up by the deadline or Boyd coming back.

They will look at other internal options prior to that: Like Alexander, Fulmer, Faedo, etc...

I'm sorry... but the Tigers are NOT signing two average or better SP's this offseason. You can be as upset as you want to be. It's just not going to happen. Any pitcher we sign beyond one good SP will be suspect/ AAAA/ on a minor-league deal/ Teheran recovery types/ etc.

Which is not a bad gamble to take on those types, and they CAN fill in some needed innings...

Dont disagree...I'm talking about what they need to do to make the playoffs in 2022, not what they will do.  I believe that they are going to shoot for a low payroll.

Trading at the deadline is an option, but I dont think that will be likely to succeed for a host of reasons.

WAR last five years

Story 22.5

Correa 22.3

Lindor 22.1

Semien 22.1

Turner 21.0

Baez 20.9

Bogaerts 19.9

Simmons 17.0

Seager 14.6

I am not really making a point here.  They are all different ages playing under different conditions.  I just think it's interesting how close the top guys are.  

This list includes players who played the majority of their games at shortstop.  The Tigers have no such players.

https://stathead.com/baseball/season_finder.cgi?request=1&match=career&order_by_asc=0&order_by=WAR_bat&qualifiers=nomin&minpasVal=3000&mingamesVal=1000&year_min=2017&year_max=2021&positions[]=6&exactness=anymarked&games_min_max=min&games_prop=50&type=b&age_min=0&age_max=99&season_start=1&season_end=-1&location=pob&locationMatch=is&isHOF=either

20 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

... Trading at the deadline is an option, but I don't think that will be likely to succeed for a host of reasons.

I don't think they'll look to add a starter at the deadline.

Maybe a reliever, maybe a bat.

And I think when they break Spring Training, they'll be a playoff contender. With only one above average Starter added, the best SS they can find... and I still think they add one vet reliever.

I'm not guaranteeing playoffs here... I'm just saying that I think you are undervaluing the additions they'll make and the internal improvements, and that they will at least be a contender for the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

WAR last five years

Story 22.5

Correa 22.3

Lindor 22.1

Semien 22.1

Turner 21.0

Baez 20.9

Which is why I don't mind Story or Semien if they can be had for 3-5 years at $25mm AAV...

I'll take short-term lower money if we get outbid by the Yankees/ Dodgers/ etal...

15 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

My SS rank (don’t care about $$/yesrs):

1. Correa

2. Semien

3. Story

4. Seager

Dont trust Taylor to play SS and hard pass on Baez.

I think all these guys get what certain people would call 'drunken sailor' money. We are probably wasting our time talking about them.  :classic_cool:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, casimir said:

I wouldn’t think so, but who knows what his team is looking to do.

I don't think anyone would risk that. Think about it you're putting something like 200 million (20 million) for the agent on the table to get what maybe another 25 on the back end of teh second contract. Its no way worth the risk. 

29 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I never care how much money any player makes.  Length of contract matters to me because it gets to be a problem when a washed up old player hangs around for three years at the end of his contract playing every day in the middle of the line-up.   

Sometimes I care about money.  For example people are talking about taking on Wil Myers to get a prospect, which to me is just nuts because he makes $22.5 and he is just barely more than a 4th OF.  That $22.5 would rule out one of the SP or SS free agents that are so vital.  So for a scrub like Myers the money is important within a fixed budget.  But for a big FA I don't care about the annual salary at all, just the years.

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

Sometimes I care about money.  For example people are talking about taking on Wil Myers to get a prospect, which to me is just nuts because he makes $22.5 and he is just barely more than a 4th OF.  That $22.5 would rule out one of the SP or SS free agents that are so vital.  So for a scrub like Myers the money is important within a fixed budget.  But for a big FA I don't care about the annual salary at all, just the years.

I don't know their budget.  If there was a salary cap, I would worry about salaries.  I doubt they will acquire Myers, but if they did I would assume they must have a very high budget.  Either that or they are really stupid in which case, they aren't going to put together a good team anyway.  

6 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Semien is 31 so he is the best shot at 5 years. Also Baez because he isn't as good but I agree with the board he is not what we want but still way better than what we have.

If not his persona, I think the K's will put Baez pretty low on Avila's list. Lowering the team K rate is one of the things I think matters to him.