2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

I personally have no problem with Baez, Id prefer Correa and Seager over him or if we could get Semien on a short term deal but if those scenarios don't come to fruition I'm fine with Baez.  I gave my reasons before why I'm fine with him, I know many worry about him in the clubhouse and his lack of walks and high K total but I think his positives out weigh that. 

Story I'm just weary of due to his numbers away from Coors. I do concede that the opposing parks in the NL West outside of Coors are some of the more pitcher friendly ones in all of baseball so it would make sense for a Colorado player to have bad road numbers but Story's 220 point difference in OPS is pretty damn drastic. With that said if there is batted ball data or other analytics that suggest that it isn't something to be concerned with then I would be fine with him but otherwise I'll remain skeptical and view him as the worst option. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

There really shouldnt be a lot of conceen about Storys Home/Road splits.  This is a fairly common problem for Rockies players, once they adapt to playing 81 games in the thinner air, which reduces the level of break on pitches.  These adjustments negatively impact their performance on the road.  Once they go to another team, the successful ones readjust and Home/Road splits return to normal.

13 hours ago, KL2 said:

I don't think anyone would risk that. Think about it you're putting something like 200 million (20 million) for the agent on the table to get what maybe another 25 on the back end of teh second contract. Its no way worth the risk. 

We’ve seen this a bit in the NBA with one & one contracts in recent years.  Now, sure, the NBA and MLB are definitely different in terms of team structure as it relates to finances and construction, but the concept is out there in pro sports.

The Tigers made several moves today:

- Exercised Tucker Barnhart's option

- Reinstated Rony Garcia, Spencer Turnbull, and Jake Rogers from the 60 day DL.

- Added Elvin Rodriguez to the 40-man roster.

This puts the Tigers 40-man roster at exactly 40, which means they have no room for a Rule 5 draft pick at this time.

19 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

hard pass on Baez.

I could not agree more.  I'm concerned that Baez might be willing to sign for less than drunken sailor money if he's given opt out ability.He failed to impress after his trade, and might jump at an opportunity reprove himself.

Giving Avila an opportunity to sign cheap(er) than the top available talent, while claiming he's doing the "smart" thing.

I  remember the last time we had a former Cubbie shortstop,  and want nothing to do with Javy.

4 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

The Baez who played for the NYM is worth 30M/year

Sure, but that was also just a small sample size.  His Met numbers were absolutely impressive, but it seems doubtful that that kind of output can be expected of him for a season or several.

25 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Jon Grey did not get a QO; should definitely take a long look at him

He was offered a 3 year contract between 35 and 40 million dollars. How much would you offer him?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/11/rockies-extension-offer-to-jon-gray-was-in-35-40mm-range.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MlbTradeRumors+(MLB+Trade+Rumors)

13 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

4/60? the guy is a 3 WAR player pitching (successfully) with 1/2 his games in Colorado. The analytics dept is basically nothing with the Rockies. Is there something more there? I don't know. Even if there isn't more, he would be a good addition IMO. Health and years are always the issue.

On 11/6/2021 at 7:48 PM, sabretooth said:

Which of the above players disproves my point about the lack of successful development?

I got your point exactly. You think we have a lack of successful development. In fact you stated we are crappy at developing anyone who is not a top 5 pick in the 1st round. Am I stating this incorrectly?

So I listed: Spencer Turnbull, Tarik Skubal, Tyler Alexander, Matt Manning, Derek Hill, Greg Soto, Kyle Funkhauser, and Dillon Dingler.

Spencer Turnbull was drafted in the 2nd round 2014. Meets your requirements. Explain to me how he is NOT a successful draft and develop.

Tarik Skubal was drafted in the 9th round 2018. Meets your requirements. Explain to me how he is NOT a successful draft and develop.

Tyler Alexander was drafted in the 3rd round 2015. Meets your requirements. Explain to me how he is NOT a successful draft and develop.

Matt Manning was drafted in the 1st round 2016, out of HS at #9, and was raw as hell. Meets your requirements. Explain to me how he is NOT a successful draft and develop.

Derek Hill was drafted at #23 in the 1st round 2014. Meets your requirements. Explain to me how he is NOT a successful draft and develop.

Greg Soto was an International signing in 2012 which is essentially the same as draft and develop. Meets your requirements (not a top 5 1st rounder). Explain to me how he is NOT a successful draft and develop.

Kyle Funkhauser was drafted in the 4th round 2016. Meets your requirements. Explain to me how he is NOT a successful draft and develop.

Dillon Dingler was drafted in the 2nd round 2020. Meets your requirements. Hasn't made MLB yet, obviously... but just watch him as he becomes our starter at catcher so in due time... he'll be another successful draft and develop. You can put him on hold if you want to...

I just read Tony Pauls top 50 free agent predictions. I don't agree with but a very few. Seems light on most and way high on others. He has a player who were offered a qualified contracts ( 18.7 mil/yr ) signing 4 year 33 million deals ? He has us with Correa, Verlander and Rondon. 2yr/50 for Verlander and 9/270 Carlos. But who knows he could be correct on most. Waiting to compare his with MLB trade rumors. I do give him credit for putting out $/yrs which isn't easy.