2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

Bummer I was hoping for a reunion even though I knew it was unlikely, especially after signing Rodriguez. Oh well atleast he didn't go to the Yankees and who knows maybe if he performs well this year he'll opt out and we can get that reunion next year when we hopefully are really ready to compete for a championship.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Bummer I was hoping for a reunion even though I knew it was unlikely, especially after signing Rodriguez. Oh well atleast he didn't go to the Yankees and who knows maybe if he performs well this year he'll opt out and we can get that reunion next year when we hopefully are really ready to compete for a championship.

Overall I'm ok with the result here. 

I love JV, but he's still a risk and I don't blame the team for going with ERod as their established starter signing over the Verlander reunion.

A team like the Astros, who have a 90-win pedigree, makes more sense to take that risk than the Tigers.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Longgone said:

Generally when you trade, you exchange a surplus for an area of weakness. There is no point creating a hole to fill a different one. 

Isn't that what we did to get Carlos Guillen?  I remember them missing out on someone (was it Aurilia?) and Seattle sent us Guillen for Santiago if I remember correctly.  Worked out pretty well for us, could absolutely see them going that route if the numbers get too 'drunken-sailor-like'.  Torres from the Yankees seems like he might be someone to trade for, especially if the Yanks sign a top tier SS.  

3 minutes ago, Tramlou said:

Isn't that what we did to get Carlos Guillen?  I remember them missing out on someone (was it Aurilia?) and Seattle sent us Guillen for Santiago if I remember correctly.  Worked out pretty well for us, could absolutely see them going that route if the numbers get too 'drunken-sailor-like'.  Torres from the Yankees seems like he might be someone to trade for, especially if the Yanks sign a top tier SS.  

For Boyd @buddha

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, 1776 said:

He felt loyalty to the Astros. So, is this to say he’ll wear an Astros hat in the HOF?

I wonder if Avila even picked up the phone on this one.

They go with where the player made “his most indelible mark.” Right now JV has played only two complete seasons and a portion of one with the Astros. Unless he goes George Blanda and pitches into his 50s he goes into the HOF as a Tiger. 

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I remember Dombrowski getting skewered for trading Fister for Ray. 

Yeah people weren't happy with it. I personally didn't care for it at the time only cause there were some reports that said teams didn't even know Fister was available or else they couldve potentially trumped that offer. Even though that may not have been true I took it at face value and thought he didn't do his due diligence by not seeing what other teams had to offer. 

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I remember Dombrowski getting skewered for trading Fister for Ray. 

I forget if that was a salary/ tax threshold issue (IIRC it was)...

On that basis, I wasn't against the Fister trade for Ray at all...

But he was raw as hell with little command/ control and DD subsequently dumped him for Greene. I liked Greene, for what he was, but hated trading Ray for him as I wanted to see Ray become our next dominant pitcher.

It took him 6 years (he did have a pretty good year in 2017) but... he really broke out this year...

Good for him.

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah people weren't happy with it. I personally didn't care for it at the time only cause there were some reports that said teams didn't even know Fister was available or else they couldve potentially trumped that offer. Even though that may not have been true I took it at face value and thought he didn't do his due diligence by not seeing what other teams had to offer. 

They really liked Robbie Ray.

As a prospect I did too...

They got the prospect that they wanted and pulled the trigger so... Yeah, I remember those reports coming out. I decided to go with the team's (DD's) viewpoint about getting the guy they wanted...

3 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

If we lose out on the big 6 FA SS's and the Yanks get one of them... they have a SS at AAA that looks pretty good that we should chase after.

Talking about Kevin Smith?  Yeah I'd take him 100% but we'll then still need to go out and find another stopgap (unless Smith is ready to make the jump?)

Maybe it’s just me, I don’t know.  But it seems odd to me that free agents are signing with different teams and QOs are still out there.  Awards aren’t completed for this past season and guys signing with different teams.

How fun would the Robbie Ray Cy Young press conference be a day after he signed with the Tigers?

9 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I forget if that was a salary/ tax threshold issue (IIRC it was)...

On that basis, I wasn't against the Fister trade for Ray at all...

But he was raw as hell with little command/ control and DD subsequently dumped him for Greene. I liked Greene, for what he was, but hated trading Ray for him as I wanted to see Ray become our next dominant pitcher.

It took him 6 years (he did have a pretty good year in 2017) but... he really broke out this year...

Good for him.

I don't think it was a salary issue because they went and signed Joe Nathan and I remember the whole press conference was the media asking Dombrowski about the Fister trade and he pulled out a list of prospects he targeted and showed it to Nathan. 

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I don't think it was a salary issue because they went and signed Joe Nathan and I remember the whole press conference was the media asking Dombrowski about the Fister trade and he pulled out a list of prospects he targeted and showed it to Nathan. 

Makes a savvy deal for Ray then, Joe Nathan….

It made sense that Verlander would sign with the Astros. They’re the reigning AL champs and their window is still wide open, while Verlander’s own window is pretty short. (I’m not taking on faith he’ll definitely pitch into his mid-40s or later). So, yeah, it makes sense that he’d like a ring next year rather than helping a still-down team build toward one in, say, 2024 or 2025.

Plus, Verlander is the Devil They Know. Isn’t that right, @casimir? 😉

• Haha 1