2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

On 11/23/2021 at 9:39 PM, Tiger337 said:

I have always disliked the Orioles because they were unbeatable in the early 70s when I was first really getting into the game.  Palmer-McNally-Cuellar

I was the same way, back in the day.  But in the past few years have grown an arms distance appreciation for that team.   Harry Dalton I believe was the wizard who built those teams.  Then went on Anaheim with less success.

Just now, Useful Idiot said:

And what "cards" do you see him as holding

Every off-season, he tells us exactly what he's going to do and he does it.  We just might not like his choice of players.  This year, he said he's going to acquire a catcher, a starting pitcher and a shortstop.  He is almost there.  

3 minutes ago, Useful Idiot said:

Yeah, that's where I got the bad vibe. He's gonna pull a klinker off some salvage pile, imo. 

He has indicated that he would acquire a shortstop, but he never told us the shortstop would be a good one.  I don't see him as a used car salesman.  

3 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Today, I’m thankful that the last five year rebuild is over.  

Also thankful for Barnhart, ERod, and eventually, Carlos Correa and Alex Cobb.

And the arrival of Greene and Tork in 2022.

But most of all?  Extremely grateful that Tony LaRussa is still managing the White Sox.

If he adds Correa and Cobb I would be VERY happy with this offseason!  That would be awesome.

4 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

But most of all?  Extremely grateful that Tony LaRussa is still managing the White Sox.

Also thankful they arent the Lions lol

8 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

Yeah, that's where I got the bad vibe. He's gonna pull a klinker off some salvage pile, imo. 

I wasn't even thinking about Eduardo...

But I am hugely, pleasantly pleased that AA "salvaged" him over to the Tigers.

I'm also very pleased that he salvaged Haase, Baddoo, Candelario, Grossman, and others.

That bad vibe is entirely inside your head, of your own making.

8 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I'll sign on to this and be thankful for the same...!

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I wasn't even thinking about Eduardo...

But I am hugely, pleasantly pleased that AA "salvaged" him over to the Tigers.

I'm also very pleased that he salvaged Haase, Baddoo, Candelario, Grossman, and others.

That bad vibe is entirely inside your head, of your own making.

Wait and see. None of the players you mention could be considered top tier, either.

But in a strange way, I think you have a point. AA will go after a "Grossmanesque" short stop. Some one who is neither awful nor catalytic.  Someone who will swing and miss at a 3rd strike 2 feet outside the strike zone, and then mad dog the pitcher all the way back to the dug out...oh joy! 

9 minutes ago, Useful Idiot said:

Wait and see. None of the players you mention could be considered top tier, either.

But in a strange way, I think you have a point. AA will go after a "Grossmanesque" short stop. Some one who is neither awful nor catalytic.  Someone who will swing and miss at a 3rd strike 2 feet outside the strike zone, and then mad dog the pitcher all the way back to the dug out...oh joy! 

Seems ironic you invoke a guy with maybe the best plate discipline on the team to describe swinging wildly at pitches out of the zone. Robbie's career o-swing is better than Mike Trout's. :classic_wink:

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

Seems ironic you invoke a guy with maybe the best plate discipline on the team to describe swinging wildly at pitches out of the zone. Robbie's career o-swing is better than Mike Trout's.

My most persistent memory of Robbie from the 2021 season  are the  monkey shines he shoots back at the pitcher on his way  walking back to the dug out.  Don't know for sure what thought prevails in his head at such times, but it looks  like some one who didn't get the Red Ryder BB gun they were expecting for Christmas.

That's  not to say that I am "anti" Robbie Grossman, but for someone to imply that they would be hugely pleasantly pleased with a Robbie Grossman caliber player to fill our needs at short stop, when there are Correa caliber players available......doesn't really make me feel the mojo.

16 minutes ago, Useful Idiot said:

My most persistent memory of Robbie from the 2021 season  are the  monkey shines he shoots back at the pitcher on his way  walking back to the dug out.  Don't know for sure what thought prevails in his head at such times, but it looks  like some one who didn't get the Red Ryder BB gun they were expecting for Christmas.

That's  not to say that I am "anti" Robbie Grossman, but for someone to imply that they would be hugely pleasantly pleased with a Robbie Grossman caliber player to fill our needs at short stop, when there are Correa caliber players available......doesn't really make me feel the mojo.

The Freep reported that Avila said again on Monday how much they liked Kriedler. Maybe they think they                         can land a Story or the like with an offer of a big 1st yr AAV and an option to walk after a year. I hadn't considered a guy on a short option as a particularly good move for the Tigers, but if they are upping their view on  Kreidler's viabiilty signing a guy with an out route could be more attractive to them than I thought. That would represent a big leap in Kreiders evaluation though.