2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

3 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Disappointed in the lack of loyalty and dedication many on this board showed by not staying up past 1am ET until this news broke. Mr. Al Avila is up into the wee hours fighting hard for his fanbase and you guys are all snug in bed having sweet dreams. 

I opted for beauty sleep.  It didn't work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Assuming this deal is completed, people are gonna whiplash from being mad at the Tigers for not doing anything to being mad that they only signed Javy Baez. Who is still a really good ballplayer and isn't Ryan Kreidler, Paul DeJong, etc.

Lynn Henning hardest hit. 

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Assuming this deal is completed, people are gonna whiplash from being mad at the Tigers for not doing anything to being mad that they only signed Javy Baez. Who is still a really good ballplayer and isn't Ryan Kreidler, Paul DeJong, etc.

I hope its for fewer than 6.  I wouldn't have wanted to sign him for more than 4, but the Rangers grabbing 2 of the SS options kind of screwed up the SS market (either via trade or free agency).

I'm curious what Story would have wanted (if he were interested in Detroit at all).  I wasn't interested in him at all in the beginning because of his home/road splits, but I've softened on that.

I think we'll all enjoy Baez' glove and baseball acumen.  It seems like he's an amped up version of Iglesias, plus power & baserunning on top of that.  The free swinging is going to be annoying, but if he can settle into the 6th/7th spot of the lineup and isn't needed as a focal point of the offense, it'll be fine.

They still need to find another SP, and BPs always seem to need some tinkering.  Marcus Stroman?

13 minutes ago, casimir said:

I hope its for fewer than 6.  I wouldn't have wanted to sign him for more than 4, but the Rangers grabbing 2 of the SS options kind of screwed up the SS market (either via trade or free agency).

I'm curious what Story would have wanted (if he were interested in Detroit at all).  I wasn't interested in him at all in the beginning because of his home/road splits, but I've softened on that.

I think we'll all enjoy Baez' glove and baseball acumen.  It seems like he's an amped up version of Iglesias, plus power & baserunning on top of that.  The free swinging is going to be annoying, but if he can settle into the 6th/7th spot of the lineup and isn't needed as a focal point of the offense, it'll be fine.

They still need to find another SP, and BPs always seem to need some tinkering.  Marcus Stroman?

Small perk; they get to keep their third round draft pick.

15 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

I think it's six, and I think this is a pretty good idea, since Torkleson and Greene might be free agents in 6 years. Rodriguez's 5 years lines up neatly with Mize/Skubal, if the next CBA is similar in length to previous cba.

There is the 2 year opt out possibility, but the swiftness with which he signed with the Tigers is encouraging.

26 minutes ago, casimir said:

Its a bit of an overpay on years, but in this market, there wasn't a chance they wouldn't overpay on years with any of these guys. I can live with it... hope he looks more like the guy in New York than in Chicago next year. 

I do think they still need to get another pitcher as well.... Stavenhagen mentioned them talking to Andrew Chafin for the BP, but they also probably need a lower level starter as well.

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Its a bit of an overpay on years, but in this market, there wasn't a chance they wouldn't overpay on years with any of these guys. I can live with it... hope he looks more like the guy in New York than in Chicago next year. 

I do think they still need to get another pitcher as well.... Stavenhagen mentioned them talking to Andrew Chafin for the BP, but they also probably need a lower level starter as well.

The guy in chicago though 2019 was pretty damn good. It was just the shortened covid season and the first half of '21 that he got into some kind of funk.

18 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

As for the SP, using MLB trade rumors as a gauge, the prediction for Stroman is 5/$110M.

They had Gausman at 6/$138M and he got 5/$110M.

They had Ray at 5/$130M and he got 5/$115M with an opt out.

They had Scherzer at 3/$120M and he got 3/$130M with an opt out from a jilted drunken sailor at closing time.

Kick the tires on Stroman.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

The Schoop signing at $7.5M is now looking like a real bargain over the next two seasons.

A lot of power, good glove and lack of plate discipline for our new double play combo.

That just means he'll opt out after 2022.  That's OK, maybe a Clemens/Kreidler platoon at 2B emerges in time to replace Schoop?

6 minutes ago, casimir said:

As for the SP, using MLB trade rumors as a gauge, the prediction for Stroman is 5/$110M.

They had Gausman at 6/$138M and he got 5/$110M.

They had Ray at 5/$130M and he got 5/$115M with an opt out.

They had Scherzer at 3/$120M and he got 3/$130M with an opt out from a jilted drunken sailor at closing time.

Kick the tires on Stroman.

I'd be thrilled to see Stroman in a Tigers uniform.

13 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I'd be thrilled to see Stroman in a Tigers uniform.

Wait a minute...............

1 - Retired  (maybe that's why Correa didn't want to play here)

2 - Retired

3 - Retired

4 -  

5 - Retired

6 - Retired

7 - Schoop

8 - Grossman

9 - Baez  (Sorry, Willi)

SIGN STROMAN - LETS HAVE A SINGLE-DIGIT PITCHER !

I like Baez a lot more than many of you do.    Lets say Kreidler does look really good as a shortstop,  you can move Baez around.   Hinch loves those kind of guys. 

Maybe the different approach he took with the Mets of cutting down strikeouts and seriously raising his OBP will continue here, but even if they don't, we've made a serious upgrade at SS from what we had.    Especially defensively.  This is a guy that only 2 seasons ago saved 31 runs at short, which is a ridiculous number.    Think how much that could help E-Rod alone.   2020 he was on a pace of about 18 runs saved.  It did drop a bit in 2021, but I don't think he's deteriorating that quickly, just an off year.

21 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Stroman and Rodan are still out there, but I don’t see us out bidding the Dodgers, Yankees or Mets, all who have a need for SP.

I tend to think they're gonna go more lower rotation, high risk/high reward type with another SP signing (maybe one of the Andersons).

Which is fine... if you pencil in ERod and the kids 1-4 and are comfortable enough with Alexander, a fifth starter type could match up well with Alexander to cover the 5 slot.

Stroman is definitely more of a nice to have than a need to have. But also wouldn't mind seeing them use some of the money saved to some good use.

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

Small perk; they get to keep their third round draft pick.

51 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Stavenhagen mentioned them talking to Andrew Chafin for the BP

like everyone else, would have preferred Correa, but not losing another high pick (when they finally seemed to have figured out how to draft well) is a bonus, and if Al's allowance is not all gone, adding Chafin, and maybe a lesser SP and maybe a bat, perhaps that is just as good