2021 Postseason thread

oblong

7 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Max with a dead arm, won’t start a Game 7 if Dodgers are able to extend the series. 

If the Dodgers don't hold onto this and win the series after this epic pitching staff bungle, for Christmas Roberts is likely to find himself boiled with his own pudding and buried with a stake of holly in his heart.

Edited by gehringer_2

9 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Who can't be happy for Dusty Baker right now?

Yeah he's the main reason I was rooting for the Astros this series, well that and I hate the Red Sox. I always thought Baker got such a bad rep, yeah he's old school(I think he is adapting though) and perhaps he pushed some past young pitchers too hard but he's won everywhere he went. 

He reminds me of Leyland in a sense that he may or may not be the best tactical manager but the players seemingly love him, he keeps a cohesive clubhouse and he seems to have a sense when guys need to take a game off or two.  What managers do behind closed doors may be the most important thing they do and can outweigh any shortcomings they may have in regards to in game decisions. Not necessarily saying Baker is bad at that just saying in general. 

A month ago the Dodgers rotation lined up with Kershaw, Scherzer, Buehler and Urias. You had the 2 best pitchers of the past decade, perhaps the best young pitcher in baseball in Buehler and Urias who posted a sub 3 ERA and 5 WAR. You wouldn't have expected them to be searching for a starter in any playoff game but here we are. Like the old cliche says you can never have enough pitching. 

9 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Max with a dead arm, won’t start a Game 7 if Dodgers are able to extend the series. 

That stinks.  And I was hoping for a pair of game 7s, but that possibility was kicked last night.

I guess there's still always hope for wining the lottery tonight.

9 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah he's the main reason I was rooting for the Astros this series, well that and I hate the Red Sox. I always thought Baker got such a bad rep, yeah he's old school(I think he is adapting though) and perhaps he pushed some past young pitchers too hard but he's won everywhere he went. 

He reminds me of Leyland in a sense that he may or may not be the best tactical manager but the players seemingly love him, he keeps a cohesive clubhouse and he seems to have a sense when guys need to take a game off or two.  What managers do behind closed doors may be the most important thing they do and can outweigh any shortcomings they may have in regards to in game decisions. Not necessarily saying Baker is bad at that just saying in general. 

Its been almost 20 seasons since Baker last managed in the World Series.  Just think about that on its own, a manager waiting 2 decades from the last World Series to get back to it.

Now just think of how baseball has evolved (for the better or worse is not the question) over those 2 decades.  Just consider how lineups and pitching staffs/bullpens were drawn up back then and what we are seeing today.

25 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Me heap big excited for World Series of Braves vs. Cosmonauts. Will bet plenty wampum on Braves at former Motownsports site. 

A lot of it comes down to Houston's young starters... If Framber and Luis Garcia pitch with the sort of effectiveness they had at the end of the series against the Sox, they'll be hard to beat... if they look more like they did at the beginning of the ALCS, Braves will have an edge.

This will also be a test for the Braves pitching staff... at the moment, Houston is in a lot better place offensively than Milwaukee and LA were. In order to be the best, they'll have to keep them in check.

There's a lot of apathy around both teams for a variety of reasons, but in terms of on the field talent and match-ups and quality of baseball, it should be a great series.

Edited by mtutiger

I can be happy with either team winning the series. But it would be extra sweet seeing Manfred have to present the trophy in Atlanta, to Atlanta, after he denied them the All Star game.

How many times have the World Series champions come from the  same  city that hosted the All Star game?  And Manfred potentially boogered this up by playing politics.

17 minutes ago, Useful Idiot said:

I can be happy with either team winning the series. But it would be extra sweet seeing Manfred have to present the trophy in Atlanta, to Atlanta, after he denied them the All Star game.

How many times have the World Series champions come from the  same  city that hosted the All Star game?  And Manfred potentially boogered this up by playing politics.

In his defense he had no idea that voting rights would be undermined in vastly many more states.