2022 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

So Jacksonville is taking Hutch or trading the pick to someone who will? I have a hard time believing there is zero chance Hutch is available at 2.

Yeah me neither, I'm half kidding but maybe the guy thought Birkett meant that he wanted to talk to Hutch but with everything going on "he wasn't gonna make it to him" in that sense? Grasping at straws I know.

If it’s not hutch, I’d really prefer to trade down if possible. I think Walker is such a reach at 2.  Thibs is a mess.  Hopefully some other team falls in love with Willis and wants to move up. Or they fall in love with one of the edge guys.  I’d even be fine trading down into the teens and getting a WR and getting more top 100 picks this year and a another 1st next year.  

Walker had 6 sacks last year and may not be a definite double digit sack guy in the NFL. You can blame the scheme he was in but he's not a natural edge at 275. His combine suggests he could be on though. One scouting report i read had his comp as Trey Flowers.

I lean toward Tibs at this moment if a trade doesn't get offered.

3 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

I like Travon Walker at 2.

I'm still comfortable with either Hutch or Thibs, but after the combine and looking more into Walker and why he wasn't quite as dominate as you'd want for a top 5 edge rusher, I feel comfortable with the Lions standing pat and taking him too.

Perhaps there isn't a QB worth #2...but there are 2 LT that are and there's a number of teams immediately below us who need one.  That could create a market for our pick.  That would allow us to snag a DB like Hamilton or Gardner and have a bonus 2nd or 3rd rd pick we could use to take a flier on Ojabo.  I don't think he gets to 97 because while an Achilles rupture is still a serious injury...it isnt the career killer it was even 10 years ago

20 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

For context Dayo Odeyingbo tore his Achilles last year in the lead-up to the 2021 draft. He was more of a hand in the ground 3-4 DE than Ojabo is. He was projected as a borderline 1st round pick and only fell to #54 where the Colts picked him up. Ojabo may fall out of the 1st round but I doubt he's still there at 66.

then dont take him.  32 or 34 is way too early to take such a risk.

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

then dont take him.  32 or 34 is way too early to take such a risk.

I agree. I wouldn’t take him until at least 66, but I would definitely consider him there as a second edge rusher. Redshirt him a year and when you’re ready to compete for the playoffs in 2023, he’s a practical third 1st round addition in that draft.

3 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I agree. I wouldn’t take him until at least 66, but I would definitely consider him there as a second edge rusher. Redshirt him a year and when you’re ready to compete for the playoffs in 2023, he’s a practical third 1st round addition in that draft.

that can still be a devastating injury.  i know we hear about okudah and okwara "doing great" and all that, and akers came back early (but did he play well?), but i'm awfully wary of guys built on athleticism and twitchiness coming back 100% from that kind of injury.  he may never be the same.

66 is fine for such a risk, i suppose.  but if i'm the lions with so mamy other needs to fill, it would really depend on who else is there.