2022 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

lol at lions fans thinking jared goff is good.

his ceiling is "competent" qb.  which is fine, but its not going to win you a super bowl (cue "well ackshually.....").  i think goff will function fine in an offense that lives off a solid running game and play action and doesnt ask him to make difficult throws.  in other words, what every average nfl qb could accomplish.

I don't think anybody is saying he is good just that he played good the last quarter of the season and that he has literally proven you can win with him.

Do I want an upgrade? Sure but there aren't any clear upgrades available right now so why not continue to build around him and see what happens?

if trubisky were on the lions, mb would say he was good.

he's the same as goff: an average qb who sometimes plays well enough to win and sometimes is terrible.  the thing with trubisky is he can run, which goff cant.  so, as i said, the qb situation in detroit and pittsburgh is similar, but trubisky is cheaper so i'd probably rather have him.  that's not a controversial opinion, imo.

21 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I don't think anybody is saying he is good just that he played good the last quarter of the season and that he has literally proven you can win with him.

Do I want an upgrade? Sure but there aren't any clear upgrades available right now so why not continue to build around him and see what happens?

mb doesnt think goff is good?  could have fooled me.  

i dont either of them are particularly good, but trubisky is cheaper and can run well so i dont think pittsburgh's qb situation is worse than detroit's cause they both need a long term solution at qb.

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

if trubisky were on the lions, mb would say he was good.

he's the same as goff: an average qb who sometimes plays well enough to win and sometimes is terrible.  the thing with trubisky is he can run, which goff cant.  so, as i said, the qb situation in detroit and pittsburgh is similar, but trubisky is cheaper so i'd probably rather have him.  that's not a controversial opinion, imo.

Goff is the same as Trubisky who sometimes plays well enough to win. Those sometimes being two Pro Bowl seasons and those wins being going to the Super Bowl. 

Unfortunately the old board isn't around anymore, but as soon as the rumor came out the Rams were interested in Stafford I was the first to suggest the Lions trade Stafford for Goff and a 1st round pick so it isn't like I suddenly changed my tune on him when he joined the Lions. He has proven in the past to be a good QB. When given better coaching and better receivers he was a good QB this past season. It's still too early to close the door and reach for a QB because you're desperate. 

11 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Goff is the same as Trubisky who sometimes plays well enough to win. Those sometimes being two Pro Bowl seasons and those wins being going to the Super Bowl. 

Unfortunately the old board isn't around anymore, but as soon as the rumor came out the Rams were interested in Stafford I was the first to suggest the Lions trade Stafford for Goff and a 1st round pick so it isn't like I suddenly changed my tune on him when he joined the Lions. He has proven in the past to be a good QB. When given better coaching and better receivers he was a good QB this past season. It's still too early to close the door and reach for a QB because you're desperate. 

i dont really know what they should do at qb.  everyone seems to say that this qb class is bad, so the lions shouldnt draft one.  but these are the same people who gave ol mitch trubisky a 7.0 grade and said he was destined for greatness.

so who knows?  not me.  at this point, i'll probably be happy with anyone holmes' drafts because of his reputation and how well his first draft class performed.

ah, who am i fooling, i'll still find something to bitch about.  lol.

You could put Patrick Mahomes or Tom Brady on this team and the ceiling would still be in the ballpark of .500. Quinn and his genius sidekick left us needing to find or develop somewhere around 16-19 starters, including every single position on defense, in order to compete for the playoffs. When Stafford wanted out, that added yet another.

As you crawl out of that gaping lack of talent, if the QB of the team described above is not so incredibly bad that they are limiting the development of your young offensive core, they're doing just fine. Goff had his moments last year where he was bordered on being that bad, when he was playing through injury. He also had his moments though, especially towards the end of the season, where he looked considerably better than that very low bar.

I would be (pleasantly!) surprised if Goff is the starting QB on the team that takes the Lions where they haven't been in 30+ years. That doesn't mean they need to rush to find someone to replace him at the expense of plugging one of those many other holes with an instant starter.

6 hours ago, buddha said:

if pickett or willis fell to 32 would you take him?  i probably would.

Nope, not at this point. Right now, until either QB flops and gives me a reason to think otherwise, I'm on the Bryce Young or CJ Stroud bandwagon. Until then, keep building as good a team around them, with as many weapons as possible, to be able to plug them into a rebuilt roster that's ready to win.

32 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Nope, not at this point. Right now, until either QB flops and gives me a reason to think otherwise, I'm on the Bryce Young or CJ Stroud bandwagon. Until then, keep building as good a team around them, with as many weapons as possible, to be able to plug them into a rebuilt roster that's ready to win.

better root for the lions to be 2-15 next year or else they wont have a shot at either of those guys (if they live up to the hype).

unless you want to trade the lions' first round pick for the next three years.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Bryce Young is tiny and not particularly fast.  I don’t get how he’s going to be a top QB prospect but he surely will be.   

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Campbell says it all here. They believe Goff is good enough now. Super Bowl? They’re not going this year. Or next. But for now, Goff is good enough for them to compete. Then if you see your guy in a year or two you go get him. 

If what Daniel Jeremiah says is true and Hamilton really ran a 4.7 then no waaaay am I waiting him drafted here. It's one thing to have game speed and be able to keep up with college players, it's a whole different game when you get to the NFL. I don't care how hard you can hit a guy, but if you're a defensive back and you really are that slow, how can you be expected to cover and keep up with NFL-level wideouts?

If Hamilton can't cover or keep up with WRs and doesn't really get utilized in blitzing schemes, what is he at that point? A guy who covers TEs, drops down against the run like a LB, and makes a big hit after the catch? Is he just a slimmer LB? Does he get coached up to be a pass rushing safety who drops down in the box to blitz? If that's what he is, why not just draft an Edge Rusher who already has that as apart of his game and likely will do it better anyways?

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

10 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Campbell says it all here. They believe Goff is good enough now. Super Bowl? They’re not going this year. Or next. But for now, Goff is good enough for them to compete. Then if you see your guy in a year or two you go get him. 

I thought between the lines Campbell was a little more “party line” than it would appear by Birkett’s tweet (not Birkett’s fault he only gets so many characters). Campbell also mentions within the interview that if they feel someone (particularly Willis) is good enough, they’ll take them despite that desire for a day one starter, which I think is true.

I don’t think they’ll take Willis at #2 though. I hope another team will though.

23 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I thought between the lines Campbell was a little more “party line” than it would appear by Birkett’s tweet (not Birkett’s fault he only gets so many characters). Campbell also mentions within the interview that if they feel someone (particularly Willis) is good enough, they’ll take them despite that desire for a day one starter, which I think is true.

I don’t think they’ll take Willis at #2 though. I hope another team will though.

I don’t think they will either.   I think it will be DE.   I am a little concerned by Birkett hinting that it will be the guy from Florida State and not Thibs or even the workout warrior Walker.   

54 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I don’t think they will either.   I think it will be DE.   I am a little concerned by Birkett hinting that it will be the guy from Florida State and not Thibs or even the workout warrior Walker.   

What did Birkett say (or Campbell) that hinted at them drafting Jermaine Johnson?

Birkett had Johnson at the pick at 2 in his last mock   He made an elusive comment in the article that if he mocked again now the pick would be the same.  

Exact quote from the article “Campbell did not talk specifically about Johnson on Thursday, but he said something that very much spoke to reporting I’ve already done on why Johnson could be a match.”  

johnson has a similar athletic profile to travon walker, but not quite as good.  unlike walker, johnson was actually productive as a pass rushing defensive end in college and was one of the best - if not the best - pass rushing end at the senior bowl practices.