2022 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

Goff's cap hits for 2022, 2023, and 2024 are all over 30 million. He can't be cut this year because the dead cap would be over 41 million due to them having to restructure last year to fill the team out (thanks Quinntricia). in 2023 the hit will be 10 M, less than that if they wait until after June 1st. So no matter whether think the Lions could win with him or not, he is way overpaid and will either get cut, traded or restructured. You could take Campbell's comments to mean you don't have to draft a QB at 1 or 2 to win also.

So I believe a QB is definitely in play at 2 or 32. Personally I agree that you if you like a QB you make sure you get him, not wait until 32 and hope he is there.

Outside of something totally crazy I have no problem with them taking whatever pass rusher they view as best regardless of where they're mocked now.

To me in this draft all the top 15-20picks are very similar, last I looked all the top 20 or so prospects all had grades within a one or two of each other so they are viewed essentially the same, atleast by the national pundits. 

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Outside of something totally crazy I have no problem with them taking whatever pass rusher they view as best regardless of where they're mocked now.

To me in this draft all the top 15-20picks are very similar, last I looked all the top 20 or so prospects all had grades within a one or two of each other so they are viewed essentially the same, atleast by the national pundits. 

I'd be underwhelmed if they took George Karlaftis or Boye Mafe at #2 overall. The point was made earlier that Johnson was more productive in college than Walker was, so if you're willing to take Walker, why not Johnson. I think there is some merit to that argument, but Walker does seem to be a bit more explosive and athletic than Johnson in. I'm not smart enough to know who to take where, but my preference is still Hutch #1, Thibs #2, Walker #3. I guess I would slide Johnson in ahead of Kyle Hamilton or a WR at #2 at this point in the game too.

Purely as a discussion cause it wouldn't happen in real life: On a scale of 7th round to 2nd round, what would you be willing to give up to move from 2nd to 1st pick?  Obviously we'd have to give up our 2nd over all pick, but what else would you give up to get Hutchinson?

Take into account our current situation: That is that we have a lot of holes to fill and that while Hutch seem to be the  highest rated edge pick AND a good fit for a Dan Campbell led Lions, there are still other very good DL options beyond him.  Note also this isn't a question of what you think the Jags would accept, just a question of what you'd be willing to give up.

Personally I'm pretty sure I'd give up our last 3rd rounder (97th over all).  I don't think I'd go any higher than that.

16 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Purely as a discussion cause it wouldn't happen in real life: On a scale of 7th round to 2nd round, what would you be willing to give up to move from 2nd to 1st pick?  Obviously we'd have to give up our 2nd over all pick, but what else would you give up to get Hutchinson?

Take into account our current situation: That is that we have a lot of holes to fill and that while Hutch seem to be the  highest rated edge pick AND a good fit for a Dan Campbell led Lions, there are still other very good DL options beyond him.  Note also this isn't a question of what you think the Jags would accept, just a question of what you'd be willing to give up.

Personally I'm pretty sure I'd give up our last 3rd rounder (97th over all).  I don't think I'd go any higher than that.

A conditional 2040 7th round pick… the condition being that our selection has to be enshrined in Canton prior to 2040.

3 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If we get the chance to draft Hutch I wonder how that effects our ability to trade back down. Is he the type of Edge Rusher, ala a Bosa brother or a Myles Garrett, that someone would want to pay a high price for and get?

I don't think he's close. If he was, I wouldn't want to trade down then because the Lions could desperately use a playmaker like that. 

19 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

Meh, the Walker stuff doesn’t seem like it’s for the clicks.  More it’s about Trent belke being the GM.  I could see him taking Walker at 1. 

I'm not necessarily saying it won't happen, but until I start seeing mocks with Walker taken by the Jags I'm going to assume it's more talk/click-bait then reality.  Obviously it could happen... and I'd like it if it did.  But until I see someone put their reputation on the line (for whatever that's worth) by mocking Walker 1st over all I'm not going to think it'll happen.

If you go off the trade value chart for draft picks I don't think they are realistic. Pick #2 is worth 2,600 points on the chart and picks #5 and #7 combined are worth 3,200 points. Of course the NFL draft and draft trades aren't perfect mathematical equations. If the Giants new GM Joe Schoen is as big an idiot as some other GMs who've made draft-related terrible trades, like Bruce Allen trading up for RGIII, then it could happen. I would think it's highly unlikely though.

40 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If you go off the trade value chart for draft picks I don't think they are realistic. Pick #2 is worth 2,600 points on the chart and picks #5 and #7 combined are worth 3,200 points. Of course the NFL draft and draft trades aren't perfect mathematical equations. If the Giants new GM Joe Schoen is as big an idiot as some other GMs who've made draft-related terrible trades, like Bruce Allen trading up for RGIII, then it could happen. I would think it's highly unlikely though.

What's 66 over all worth on the chart?  I'm fairly confident it isn't 600 points, but it might make it slightly more palatable. 

I looked it up: 260.  So it's 2860 pts for 3200... still not a very good return for the Giants.

those pff mock trades are ridiculous.  you can get a team to give you three number ones and their entire draft to move up to #2.  and then when they do, they take a corner or a tackle.  its amazingly stupid.

those things are fun, but ive stopped doing most trades just because theyre so silly.

Look, 40 times aren't the be all/end all of what makes a good player, Safety or otherwise, in the NFL. But if Hamilton really ran a 4.74 that is a giant red flag in my book. It indicates to me, even if his GPS time was faster, that he can't keep up with NFL-level players at WR and will get torched. I hope the Lions don't get cute at try to be smartest guys in the room by drafting Hamilton. I've wavered back and forth on him a bit, but I am officially out on wanting to even consider the guy anywhere in the top 10/top 15, whether picking at #2 or trading back a few spots.

It's funny about Kayvon Thibodeaux.     

We know from past history some of the questions teams ask players at the combine.    

Do you think that maybe Kayvon had a couple interactions like this and being a pretty smart guy he just thought "to hell with this, I'll have a pro day" and walked out on it?    

It's funny how the NFL cartel and NFL-Friendly media seems to be bashing this guy for walking out.   He didn't play along so we're gonna make him pay.    It's just odd the way he's being talked about.   I think the Lions should take him at #2, if they don't trade the pick.     Talent wins, the other crap is just noise.    

21 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I trust Campbell’s judgement on character. I think the jury is still out on Campbell regarding player development, but I have no doubt he is a good guy. If he thinks he and the team can work with Thibs, I trust that he can. If he doesn’t think he can, I don’t think anyone could.

Of course the Lions pick the worst year ever for the #2 pick.